“Weird Room Layout - Hotel Just Okay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Chicago Naperville/Warrenville

SpringHill Suites Chicago Naperville/Warrenville
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Warrenville
Chicago, Illinois
“Weird Room Layout - Hotel Just Okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed one night (July 27, 2012). The staff at this hotel are very friendly. This was my first stay at a SpringHill Suites and I was not impressed. The room was a dissapointment as it was a suite and was super small. The bathroom sink is in front of the bed. The bathroom (toilet/tub) is tiny. The black coffee cup was dirty inside AND the sheets did not fit the bed as the corners kept coming up so your body (legs/feet & hands as my hands were underneath my pillow) was on the actual mattress pad. It was horrible fighting sheets all night long. Due to the uncleanliness and the sheets, I've rated a poor as this is not something you expect from the Marriott brand. I asked for a late checkout and did not use it; instead I left early.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I originally made a reservation to stay at this hotel for 8 nights. However, we were so disappointed with the room and had to move out earlier. The "suite" was very small. It was basically a regular Fairfield room with an extra sofabed and a sink. It was not a real suite because there was no door between the "bedroom" and the "living area". What made it worse was the bathroom sink was right in front of the beds, and if the parents go to bed late or get up early, they either have to turn on the light to wake up their kids, or they have to do it in the dark. On one of the days, the room service lady did not even make the bed. At first when my wife complained about the room, I was really reluctant to move because I did not want to cancel a booking I made and lose the money I already prepaid. But things eventually got so bad that we did not have any room to store our stuff and we had to move out earlier. This hotel ruined my trip entirely. I am a Marriott Reward silver member and I normally have a very good feeling about Marriott hotels. However this hotel really disappointed me. I would advise others to stay somewhere else when they visit Chicago and I personally will not stay at any other Spring Hill Suites again.

2 Thank atwater5122
Carroll, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My daughters and I were traveling from Iowa to Chicago for a book signing. We thought it would be better to stay in a suburb of Chicago and save money. The check-in was very fast and the front desk clerk was very nice. We went up to our room where we were very disappointed! We had gotten a king suite so we had a king bed, hide-a-bed, small fridge, and microwave. There were even cupboards in case this was going to be a longer stay and we needed to store food. I walked into the bathroom and was shocked! It was smaller than mine at home, which is the size of a closet! I literally could barely turn around. It also seemed like the rest of the room had been remodeled and they ran out of money before reaching the bathroom. I was so hoping it would be a luxurious bathroom, considering the shape of mine at home. I definitely would never have paid $128 for one night (and that is with a discount) if I had seen the room beforehand. I also think if we ever travel to Chicago again, we will stay in the city as the tolls and gas for driving back and forth would have made it worthwhile to pay more.

Room Tip: Ask if the whole room has been updated!
Danville, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

I'm a Marriott rewards Platinum member so it pains me to do this.

I've stayed here a number of times since our daughter moved to the area. Some by myself and some with my wife and now with other family. Some visits have been fine and others not so much. This weekend did it for me.

When we checked in we noticed a musty smell and the air conditioner was on full blast. So we figured the carpets had been cleaned and were still a bit damp. More on that later. We had family coming in for a birthday and two other roooms at this hotel for our kids. We left for the evening and came back and still the musty smell. The air conditioner is next to the King bed and blows right on us, so we had to turn it off to keep from getting too cold while sleeping. We went to bed and woke more than once to find the sheets coming off and exposing the bare mattress. We turned the air back on and it seemed to be getting cool but slowly. I left the room to get ice and when I got back it smelled musty again. I guess we got used to it. Ick. And there was a smell of vinegar near the kitchenette. I called the front desk about the musty smell and they said maintenance could check it and maybe do something. I told them we would be leaving in a bit for the day and go ahead and do what they needed. When I got in the shower, I could tell that the carpets had not been cleaned. My feet were filthy from the carpet. Same with my wife. Ick.

We left for the day and I stopped at the front desk to let them know. I also shared with them that the sheets won't stay on the bed. She said she would make sure they got changed. That didn't help as it happened all night that night as well. In talking to our kids, our son told us their room was also musty. Our daughters room was not. When we returned, it smelled fresher like oranges almost. That lasted a while and went away with time. The next morning we were right back where we started. Same thing sleeping. By the way, the bed was not very comfortable.

The breakfast is usually a bright spot. For some reason this weekend the sausage had a funny taste. I have not noticed that before.

While the rooms are small, there was one visit where I got a slightly bigger room. I don't know why but it was just that time. I was alone and didn't need the extra space.

The last time we stayed here we were less than pleased and I shared my review online with Marriott when they asked. This time I decided to share it here as well. This hotel is average and in need of some updates. It's a great location and there are restaurants nearby. And, there are also other hotels nearby.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
SpringhillWRNVL_GM, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Naperville/Warrenville, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Guest -

I am disheartened that you had such a disappointing experience at our hotel after being such a loyal guest for so many years. I can understand that the musty smell in your room was undesirable to stay the least. While your concern certainly should have been addressed in a better manner, the units that we have can get overwhelmed in the extreme heat that we have been experiencing here and that can cause the unit to malfunction and produce an odor. I will certainly review this issue specifically with the team to ensure it does not provide additional discomfort to our guests.

I also would like to apologize for the issues you had with the carpet and sheets in your room. We do clean the guestroom carpets regularly, but it is clear from your comments here that your particular room requires some additional attention that I will be sure it recieves. We also have been experiencing issues with the sheets from our supplier. They are aware of the issue and are addressing it on their end, but I will also take the opportunity to re-address this with our housekeeping team to ensure that they are on the look out for defective sheets. This is a big frustration of mine when I travel also so I completely understand how this issue can be disruptive to your sleep.

Since you also mentioned the need for updates in the hotel - I am happy to let you in on a little secret. We are planning for a renovation of our lobby and public spaces to begin late summer/early fall. We will follow that with a complete renovation of our rooms in the late fall/winter. Please consider this my personal invitation to come back to try the new look of the Springhill out once everything is complete. Since you have stayed with us for so many years, I will be excited to hear what you think of the new design!

Ultimately my goal is to provide the best experience possible for our guests and ensure that our most loyal Marriott Rewards members (Platinum, such as your self) feel appreciated and taken care of. I would like to speak with you directly regarding your stay so I can get more details and suggestions for improvement from you. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I can be reached via email at wrn@fhginc.com or via phone at 630-393-0400 x 156.

Jessica Revak
Fairview, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed here one night on our way to Nebraska from DC. Excellent hotel! It was clean and comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was great. More than expected. Would stay here again. The room was spacious and comfortable. Clean place.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at SpringHill Suites Chicago Naperville/Warrenville, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel! Our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure that our entire hotel is clean on a daily basis and our breakfast attendant does a superlative job to ensure the breakfast is well stocked and maintained. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the staff recognizing a job well done! We hope that you enjoyed your trip and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Warrenville
0.8 km away
2.9 km away
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Naperville
0.9 km away
Residence Inn Chicago Naperville/Warrenville

Been to SpringHill Suites Chicago Naperville/Warrenville? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK