“keep looking really.....”
Review of Motel 6 Urbana

Motel 6 Urbana
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Urbana
Reviewed 22 March 2012

this hotel has a nice appearance and the staff is friendly and helpful. i was at this hotel for 9 days on a daily rate. the maids hate to do their job. i even stripped my bed for them, because they did not understand english well. I came back late one night to learn after speaking to the manager dave about having my room cleaned earlier in the day, to find out that they did not even clean the room. I asked for a clean room which the desk clerk gave me to find out the bathtub was dirty. so i had to stay in the dirty room and change my own sheets. talked with dave, the manager and he said the desk clerk should not have offered me another room. obviously this cleaning staff does not listen to their manager. they do exactly what they want to do. if you are a stay over it is a strong possibility at this hotel the won't clean your room at all. also they allow multiple pets in this hote, they barked for most of the first night that I was there

Room Tip: before I select another hotel to stay in I would take the time to read the reviews on the trip advi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank 580joans
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I was in town to see the Illini vs. Michigan football game and as an alumni of the University of Illinois I have been back to visit several times and stayed in several hotels but have never stayed at Motel 6. Since it was also Dad's day this weekend every hotel in Champaign/Urbana and near the cites was sold out so I was very excited when I was able to find a room in Urbana at Motel 6. I booked the room a month in advance of my stay and guaranteed the reservation with a credit card for a non-smoking king sized bed for 55.95 plus taxes. We arrived on Friday Nov 11th and at the check in desk we were greeted by a friendly lady. We gave her our name and as she was looking up our reservation another hotel patron walked in and started complaining about his room and how he wanted to be switched. He said the room was missing a tv remote, smelled like smoke even though it was non-smoking, and had some sort of crack in the bathroom shower. We still thought nothing of this and decided to continue with our reservation. All of a sudden the front desk lady turns to us and says, "oh by the way you know the room rate is now 149.99 per night." That is almost more than 3 times the rate we booked at!!! I quickly said I had already booked the room at 55.95 and she then proceeded to tell me I needed the printed out email with that reservation, even thought she had already found my reservation in the computer otherwise the rate would be increased to 149.99. At this point I became extremely upset and pulled up my reservation on my blackberry to show her the rate I booked at, and she just laughed it off saying it wasn't that big of a deal and that I could keep my 55.95 rate. I was shocked that they tried to pull this and wondered how many people they did this to, knowing that all the other hotels/motels in the area were sold out for the weekend. Other than the bait and switch they tried to pull the room was decent. The blankets had some stains on the them but the bed was comfortable. The only major complaint I had was dirty towels in the shower. One of them had some hair on it and some major stains! Also, the other reviews are right the walls are really really thin. But I wasn't expecting anything great from this Motel 6 but I warn other people to only stay here if necessary, there are far better options in Chambana that are comparable in price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank illini34
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I was in town for the weekend and having stayed elsewhere around the area,decided to give this place a try. It's a no frills property with fairly new updated rooms. The room was supposed to be nonsmoking, but showed signs of cigarette burns on the airconditioner and so had a somewhat peculiar aroma to it. I walked around the property when
I initially arrived and found old mattresses sitting against the back fence and crime tape in the trash. At 2am, someone was outside banging loudly on my door and those doors next me, which woke me out of a deep slumber. The walls are thin and noise travels easily. While there were many negatives...the front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and for less than 50 bucks...you get what you pay for!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Rutat2d2
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My family and I stayed 8 nights here the house keeping come 2 days that is all, I had to go down and get the vacuum and clean my own room, I had to take the trash out myself, to top that off we had fleas in the room, when I went down to get towels they did not have any and had to take some out of another room. the ceiling in the bathroom you can tell there was a leak. It was so bad, but I will say the front desk was so friendly to my family.

Room Tip: go to a different motel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My step-daughter recently married and relocated to nowhere, Illinois (St. Joseph). We had to go see why she left sunny California the middle of nowhere. St. Joseph is too small for a motel, so the closest we could get was 10 miles away in Urbana. I did my research through tripadvisor, but properties were either very cheap with bad reviews or expensive and not much better reviews. The one review for Motel 6 was not the right place. I took a chance on Motel 6 and was pleasantly surprised. This is a very clean, updated motel. The sink was granite, the shower was the one-piece molded type with the round shower curtain bar so it felt much larger. There was a microwave, small fridge, flat screen TV and FREE wi-fi. Be prepared. When I say no frills I mean it. I called ahead to find out if there was a blow dryer, no, so I brought my small travel one. Bring your own shampoo. All they give you if a tiny bar of soap (I bring my own). The carpeting and bedding was new. Not a speck of dirt anywhere. The only thing that could be improved were the scratchy, thin towels. The front desk staff was helpful & nice. Coffee was available in the lobby. I didn't expect much and was mildly surprised. It is right off the highway and easy to spot. We will stay again as we unfortunately, will have to travel to see her. By the way, I am not a "cheap" traveler, just one that wants value for my dollar. Our next hotel in Chicago was $279 a night...Motel 6 met our needs in rural Illinois.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Faye G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Urbana
1.9 km away
2.2 km away
Wyndham Garden Urbana Champaign
0.1 km away
Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center of Champaign-Urbana

Been to Motel 6 Urbana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK