“Great food and service”

20:00
Ranked #5 of 165 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For years, Zaza's has been dedicated to providing excellent food and service at our original location est. 1995: La Zaza's Trattoria in St. Charles. We want you to know there are restaurants in surrounding areas using names similar to our own, but they are not related to, or affiliated with us in any manner.
Reviewed 3 January 2022

The food was great! Our server was great- very attentive! This was our first visit to this place. We will be back!

Date of visit: January 2022

Reviewed 1 February 2021

We had just attended the funeral of my best friend, and were looking for a place for dinner. After some searching on TripAdvisor, we selected this place.

First off, get a reservation. This place is busy.

The décor is in interesting - nothing unusual, but nice lighting, good wall texture and art. There is a lot to look at.

If you are worried about the COVID restrictions of Illinois, worry not. Look at the statistics. In Region 1 in December, schools were contributing 20 cases out of 100, and restaurants 3. Who got closed with no seating? Well, it wasn't schools. So wear your mask and enjoy dinner indoors. If you don't want to do that - don't post about it for restaurants who are disobeying an illegal order.

Now back to the food. Really good. We started with their Bruschetta Spinachi - it was enough for four people, and it was very good. It just sparkled on your palate.

I decided to go for their 8 ounce filet, while my wife tried their Gemelli. Both were delicious - I cut the filet into smaller pieces to allow more time to enjoy it.

We finished sharing their Chocolate Cake Ganache desert, ala mode.

The wine list was solid - we ordered a bottle of Jordan Cabernet, and the price was quite reasonable.

Our service was excellent - our waitress was masked at all times. When we saw her approaching, we put our masks on out of respect for her safety. If we weren't eating, we were wearing our masks out of respect for everyone's safety.

Nuff said?

Summary:
Great food and service.
Interesting decor.
Get a reservation.
Enjoy safely.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 7 January 2021

My husband and I ventured out to St Charles and were surprised to see indoor dining since Illinois has a current ban on it. Nevertheless, we entered the restaurant and were seated right away.

The food was delicious!

Unfortunately, our waiter wore ONLY a face shield and not a mask. Everyone else wore a mask. One of the problems is that the waiter is very friendly and talks to make conversation. But with a face shield only there is no protection to anyone else ~ actually not much to himself either.

Not wearing a face mask under his shield offers no protection for us as customers and for that reason we will not return. I should have asked for another waiter but did not want to ruin my husband's, already anxious, mood.

And even had I requested another waitperson, the restaurant employees and customers are at risk.

In "normal" times I would have rated this a 5 but safety is important in our day.

What bothers me even more is that I read the reviews (after going to the restaurant) and there has already been concern about this expressed and nothing has been done. Too bad.

Date of visit: December 2020
1  Thank hippyways
Reviewed 5 December 2020 via mobile

The food was only outdone by the service. We had Steven who made it the best experience. We have been here many times but last night was the best combo. The sea bass special was spot on along with the salmon.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank taca1998
Reviewed 26 July 2020 via mobile

We wanted to go somewhere special for our 40th anniversary, so we picked ZaZa's in St Charles and made a reservation for last night at 6pm through Open Table (the link from the restaurant website). At 3:30pm we got a voice mail from the restaurant that they were only doing outdoor dining because of the rise in the Covid cases. Ok, I get that. So, they don't take reservations for outdoor dining, it's first come first serve. Ok, I also get that. We got there at 6pm and were seated right away at the front of the restaurant outdoor patio. It was very noisy from motorcycles going up and down the main road (RT 64) so conversation was tricky at best. Ok, seating 6 ft apart is tricky also, so I get it. So here is were it kind of fell apart. 1). All the wait staff, etc. were wearing face masks except our waiter who was wearing a face shield-no mask. Obviously, the management was unaware that a face shield gives no protection from air borne particles when speaking, etc. A face shield is to protect the wearers eyes and skin, nothing else. He should have been wearing a mask as well. 2) Our table was the only one that was in the direct sun when it rolled around to the front of the building when we were halfway into our mean, so I asked our waiter if we could get an umbrella for a few minutes until the sun moved away. It was very hot and uncomfortable, however, his response was that he could not move any of the umbrellas around and he walked away. Perhaps he could had said "I don't think we can but I will check with the manager". And then to top it off, just before we were leaving, a women came around to the tables asking if everything was ok and when she look directly at me I shook my head "no" and she proceeded to the next table like she didn't see me. I understand we are in different times right now, but it seems like this restaurant was interested and fully invested in their customers. The food was great, the red sangria was wonderful and refreshing, but we felt there was a disconnect with customers and the purpose of proper face coverings.

Date of visit: July 2020