“Disappointed”

20:00
Ranked #5 of 165 Restaurants in Saint Charles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: For years, Zaza's has been dedicated to providing excellent food and service at our original location est. 1995: La Zaza's Trattoria in St. Charles. We want you to know there are restaurants in surrounding areas using names similar to our own, but they are not related to, or affiliated with us in any manner.
Reviewed 26 July 2020 via mobile

We wanted to go somewhere special for our 40th anniversary, so we picked ZaZa's in St Charles and made a reservation for last night at 6pm through Open Table (the link from the restaurant website). At 3:30pm we got a voice mail from the restaurant that they were only doing outdoor dining because of the rise in the Covid cases. Ok, I get that. So, they don't take reservations for outdoor dining, it's first come first serve. Ok, I also get that. We got there at 6pm and were seated right away at the front of the restaurant outdoor patio. It was very noisy from motorcycles going up and down the main road (RT 64) so conversation was tricky at best. Ok, seating 6 ft apart is tricky also, so I get it. So here is were it kind of fell apart. 1). All the wait staff, etc. were wearing face masks except our waiter who was wearing a face shield-no mask. Obviously, the management was unaware that a face shield gives no protection from air borne particles when speaking, etc. A face shield is to protect the wearers eyes and skin, nothing else. He should have been wearing a mask as well. 2) Our table was the only one that was in the direct sun when it rolled around to the front of the building when we were halfway into our mean, so I asked our waiter if we could get an umbrella for a few minutes until the sun moved away. It was very hot and uncomfortable, however, his response was that he could not move any of the umbrellas around and he walked away. Perhaps he could had said "I don't think we can but I will check with the manager". And then to top it off, just before we were leaving, a women came around to the tables asking if everything was ok and when she look directly at me I shook my head "no" and she proceeded to the next table like she didn't see me. I understand we are in different times right now, but it seems like this restaurant was interested and fully invested in their customers. The food was great, the red sangria was wonderful and refreshing, but we felt there was a disconnect with customers and the purpose of proper face coverings.

Date of visit: July 2020
3  Thank purplepicklehead

Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

During a stay in St.Charles we had a business dinner at this restaurant. They serve original Italian dishes and add daily specials to their menus. The decor is average, the food was good and the service was ok too.
The prices are acceptable but the portions are huge. We had the linguini with seafood which was actually quite nice.

Date of visit: February 2020
2  Thank Globetrotter1955
Reviewed 9 February 2020 via mobile

My colleagues and I, had dinner, for the first time here. The food was amazing! Our server Jimmy was outstanding. He knew the menu and was able to help us find the best options for our appetizers, wine, dinner and desserts. We definitely will be back! I spoke with all my colleagues and we’re going to do a monthly dinner here. We will be requesting Jimmy as our waiter, he definitely made our experience the best. Thank you for the great food and best waiter.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 18 November 2019 via mobile

On a cold rainy evening we sat by a big window in a little corner! It was very cozy! The food was excellent and the service was amazing! Highly recommend!

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed 26 August 2019

I facilitate meetings, many of them at restaurants. We had a client event at La Zaza and it was a wonderful experience.

When I got there, my client's staff had not communicated the right room layout, and the staff jumped right on it and rearranged things without hesitation. Valerie was our room captain and was a great partner. She took wonderful care of us and made sure we stayed on schedule. If I could work with her everywhere I went, life would be great!

We had about a dozen attendees. Everyone enjoyed their food. The pacing was wonderful.

Overall, it was a great dinner.

Date of visit: August 2019