“Must be a different hotel?”

Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Rockford
Chicago, IL
“Must be a different hotel?”
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I had an opportunity to stay at Cliffbreakers when I was in Rockford on business recently, and from what I read in the other reviews, well, I must have been at a different hotel at the same location. The staff were courteous and made sure my needs were met. The room was clean and comfortable and, I thought, pretty luxurious with the view and all. I generally stay at Comfort Inns and always enjoy the breakfast, but Cliffbreakers goes above the call with extra everything and attendent to keep things tidy and resupplied. But the best surprises were the bar and, most of all, the restaurant. I understand there is a new owner and , I believe, a new chef, and the cuisine tells all. It is magnificent!!! Even the cheeseburger I had at the bar after a late evening was most wonderful. There are a few things management could improve upon (internet service in the rooms as opposed to only the business center would be nice, and perhaps a couple more channels on the television) but the new owner, Mike Ellis, is defienitely on the right track to maxing out the stars on the satisfaction table. I will be staying at Cliffbreakers again.

• Liked — The increased feeling of well being
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Miami
Reviewed 1 February 2007

I stayed at Cliffbreakers for a Wedding and had nothing but problems the entire time. My room left a lot to be desired, the staff was unprofessional and they charged my credit card when they were not supposed to....twice! The amount totaled $800.00! When the mother of the bride called to fix the problem, the money was promptly returned to my account....But only for one day! Today I found that the terrible hotel once again took out the money. When I called to speak to the manager she was not helpful whatsoever and treated me like I was bothering her, I recieved no apology or help. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! I probably would have been treated better at a Motel 6. These people do not even deserve to be in business!

• Liked — The weather.
  • Disliked — The unfriendly, unprofessional and incompetent staff!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
patou13Rockford, Executive Chef at Cliffbreakers Riverside Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 April 2007
I am Chef Philippe Forcioli former owner of Cafe Patou. I have been staying here for the last two month since I moved back from Arizona waiting to find a new house. I have been enjoying my stay at the hotel. I am now part of the New Cliffbreakers in Rockford. I am the new head chef and we have new ownership. I
I know a lot of the reviews are negative but come back to Cliffbreakers. We now have the best view and the best food in town. Cliffbreakers now serves some of your favorite dishes from Cafe Patou like Chicken Crepes, Chocolate Esctasy and many other new dishes. Come to the NEW CLIFFBREAKERS.
For those or of you that know me, you know you can take my word.
Philippe

Travellers are raving about these Rockford hotels

Chicago
Reviewed 19 December 2006

Cliffbreakers may have been a great hotel at some point, but they don't give a darn aobut their customers now. I reserved a suite for my son's wedding night ($199). I made the reservation six months in advance and was told that they would have their specific suite they requested. When the bride and groom arrived they were treated rudely and told they did not reserve this room. They were given a much smaller suite at the same price. There are other smaller issues, but I will stick with the major one.

I was notified the next day (as I had paid) and called Loretta the manager. It took three calls before I could speak with her. She did not return my previous voice mails. When I spoke with her she was also rude and disrespectful. Customer service is not thier strong suit by any means. She did offer me a $100 discount on my next suite rental. I told her I would then be paying $300 for something I did not reserve and did not need another wedding night suite. After a few more unanswered calls and emails. I gave up. A few weeks after that I received my credit card bill and saw that the hotel had billed me for not one, but two nights at over $400. I have dealt with credit card company and it has taken months to finally resolve this issue.

Buyer beware!! After I have read the other reviews and have lived through this nightmare I can highly suggest that you look elsewhere for lodging. The owner and management will be hit in the pocketbook if the hotel is empty.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — management and old worn decor
  • Tips/Secrets — Go elsewhere! RUN....
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank walengaster
WI Native
Reviewed 18 December 2006

It's been about six years since my last visit to Cliffbreakers and I'm so disappointed! What used to be a lovely hotel in need of a little fine tuning in the service department has now become a maintenance nightmare. Oh, and the service is non-existant. They should look into getting a computer kiosk to check guests in as it might be a more pleasant exchange. What can I say? They overbooked our room type and downgraded us and then upgraded us and I use the term "upgrade" quite loosely. The upgraded bilevel whirlpool suite was in need of numerous major repairs.

Steer clear of Cliffbreakers unless and until the new owner steps up and address the numerous issues facing the hotel.

• Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple