New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center

Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Peoria
Downers Grove, Illinois
“Please find another place to stay.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

Recently, have been traveling quite a bit and have to say this was the worst experience I have ever had. I was grateful to get a place to sleep as there was a convention in town. The front desk was fine both checking in and out. When I got off the elevator on the third floor, there was this huge orange hose running the length of the hall....cords everywhere. I saw a man and asked what was going on. He stated they were there cleaning the a/c units. That would have been fine, had I been told at the front desk, but it was spooky as it seemed I was the only one one the third floor. The room reeked of must. The curtains were yellow, the bedspreads did not fit the beds. (looked like they threw on queen bedspreads on double beds. The beds were rock hard and when you sit on them, the mattress and box spring almost hit the floor. The bathroom was very dusty and had dead bugs on the floor. At least the AC was working....the carpet was sticky in spots, and the windows had some sort of black balls adhered to the window. You could also see hand prints on the windows....I just closed the curtains. When I plugged in the coffee pot, it smelled like something was burning....So I unplugged and left a note for the housekeeper. The breakfast area in the morning was ok....but NOT as pictured. The coffee and muffins looked ok, but my muffin was still frozen. I don't know how some people would even sit and eat in the area, as they had plants hanging down and touching a few of the tables, and most of the other tables were lined up in a row....like a cafeteria. Didn't use the pool, or anything, and yes the whole lobby smelled like clorine as others stated, but that would be expected when it is in the open lobby. I dont care if a room is older, and not totally up to date, but the condition of the beds alone, I will never stay again. Nothing was horribly stained...but the chairs smelled musty too....and had stains on them. Thank God I had my own blankets and pillows. Please, just spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere else. In the morning, there was no manager on duty to report things to. Just one desk clerk, and one breakfast room attendant.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay, please ask to see a room before you give them your credit card.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank LisaA1963
GM61614, General Manager at Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
I would like to take this time to apologize for your experience during your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Peoria. We strive to exceed the expectations of each and every guest and will use your observations to further our guest's satisfaction. Can you please provide us with your contact information to further discuss you stay. I can be reached at 309-686-8000 or gm@grandhotelpeoria.com.

Nitin Talati, General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Mundelein, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

Checked in on Sunday...no food service available...youth from pool were noisey past 2am. And when I awoke my legs were full of bug bites,

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Carey L

Travellers are raving about these Peoria hotels

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I travel for business combined with pleasure, my wife & 5 year old always come with, we stay in hotels almost every week for 2-6 nights across the mid-west & SE so we have experienced the good, the bad & the ugly & we are picky within reason (hate dirt, mold & or stench). My 5-year-old takes his shoes & socks off the minute we hit the room and believe me if the carpet is a little dirty we will know within minutes (I have checked out of hotels because his feet were black with dirt). Overall this place is clean.
Regardless of your reason for visiting the Peoria, IL area, this hotel is a good choice close to restaurants, and freeway across from a mall. The hotel is quite, but you may want an outside room, not one on the atrium, this is where the pool is and it is used as a gathering area and meeting area. The pool was clean and warm and enjoyable. The rooms are good size, I liked the bathroom counter it was the length of the bathroom so you could unpack your toiletries (great for a 4-6 night stay) and spread out the lighting was good as well, the rooms have coffee pots, some have mini frig & microwave. I found the beds old and uncomfortable. This is an older property and in some places showing it's age, but overall it's maintained. The staff is polite & helpful, & friendly. The lobby is large and the breakfast area very spacious. Breakfast is average including scrambled eggs, sausage, or one hot item, fresh fruit ( oranges & apples) Yogurt pastries & cold cereal. They have a bar and restaurant I didn't try either.
The area is safe. Good Location,can be a good value.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank traveling_frank
GM61614, General Manager at Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 18 July 2011
Thank you for choosing The Grand Hotel, Peoria while visiting the Peoria area.
We value your opinion and will share with our staff and has been forwarded to my corporate office which will help me even more to improve.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our goal is not just to meet but exceed the expecatations and comments like yours help us achieve that.
Looking forward to serving you in the future.
Bloomington, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2011

We chose this hotel because of the price and the fact that it had an indoor pool. After reading many reviews, I was a bit concerned. Maybe the hotel has responded to the negative comments, but we found everything to be terrific. The room (119) was clean, spacious, and if it was "outdated", we aren't fashionable enough to notice! The front desk staff was pleasant, though I did have to ask directions to our room, and for information about the hotel itself; none was offered. The pool was beautiful and well-maintained; the only drawback was that there were about 10 unsupervised children there who were unruly. The restaurant/bar staff were extremely friendly, the food was great and not overpriced. We had a great time, and as hot as it was, we wished we had just spent a second night there swimming instead of going to the zoo! I will definitely stay again and would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 100s by desk
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mfamilytravel3
GM61614, General Manager at Travelodge Peoria Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 July 2011
Thank you for your choosing The Grand Hotel while you were visiting the Peoria area. Your comments are much appreciated and will be shared during our staff meeting to further improve our level of customer service. Our goal is not just to meet, but to exceed our guests expectations.

Thank you and we look forward to serving you again in the future!
New Lenox, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

As a business traveler, I found this hotel not only very outdated as far as the furnishings, but the covers on the bed actually had stains and burn marks on them. It was disgusting. I felt creepy and dirty in this bed. The room looked like no one had vacuumed anywhere but the center of the room. This was rated as a 3 star hotel. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank aceit925
Thank you so much for sharing your comments. Your concerns were shared with the staff and will help us to further improve our service. We are currently implementing new top-of-bed items, linens and some soft goods. We hope that you will consider using us again in the future. When making your next reservation, please contact me (General Manager) directly to ensure everything is uneventful and to your satisfaction.

Thank you.