“Unique place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fox River Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ottawa
Fox River Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Ottawa B&B and Inns
Belgrade, Serbia
“Unique place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

Been there last weekend and - I liked it very much. It's a secluded house, homey arranged and I felt like sleeping over my aunts house. The air is great, its peaceful and very very clean. Usually when I go to hotels, I don't have that feeling of cleanliness like in my own home, but here, I felt really safe. Breakfast was very tasty, some egg sausage and hash brown bake, plus the fruit salad was excellent. Outside in lawn is a table where you can sit, read and catch some sun. There are few chickens walking free around a house and was thinking this is a chicken paradise.

The lady that owns the house is Charlotte, she was very kind, polite and soft. She was there all the time but left us the right amount of freedom. I was very satisfied. Will I go there again? Yes, in September. It seams to me that in Fox River B&B I get more then I pay. But have in mind that this is not for people who love chain hotels and minimalist interior design. Its too flavorable and "homey like".

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
ARLINGTON HEIGHTS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2008

We were looking for a B&B near the I&M Canal Bike trail. This was convenient for that (just a short drive), and darn close to Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks. Also must be the nearest spot to SkyDive Chicago. and C&M Canoe rental (and perhaps the Wedron Grill facory if you have business with them.)

All five of the rooms seem good, each decorated uniquely. Charlotte makes a great breakfast just for your group at the time you request.

Price is right at about $100/room. The Website and some of the reviews here are out-of-date. Host is only Charlotte Beach now, so ignore some of the mixed review comments related to the past proprietors.

And if you want a deal, consider the opportunity to pitch a tent on the property in one of the secluded field spots. No bed or breakfast provided, but a quiet spot with firepits.

Only negative I can even think of is the 2 shared bathrooms for the 5 rooms, but this was never an issue for us at all. The place just isn't crowded, and that's why I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Seclusion, yet with a short distance of outdoor activities.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

My wife and I stayed for 8 nights this July and were very impressed with the bnb. Charlotte is the new owner and Bobby Joe is not involved anymore. Charlotte was very helpful and friendly. She cooks excellent breakfasts with fresh muffins, bacon and eggs from her hens. The rooms were clean and very comfortable. We did not eat dinner there as there are lots of local restaurants. Hanks Farm in particular was particularly good. I would recommend this bnb to anyone. It is quiet enough for a romantic get away and yet there is plenty to do nearby for a family holiday.

• Liked — The original house
  • Disliked — A shared bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonnyhl
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2007

I was impressed with our stay at Fox River Bed and Breakfast!
The most impressive hosts I have met in years of travel.
As I read in a couple of reviews, Bobby Joe is quite entertaining. You are going to get an eye and ear full during your stay. The food was excellent and the place was clean and very beautiful. This is an excellent and very "UNORDINARY" gem of a getaway. Lots of laughter and good times.
I felt at ease during our stay and I have to stress that neither my wife or myself ever felt as if we were out of place. Complete fun.
The ability to relax in this location was so good. Bobby Joe was barefooted during our stay. But so were we all. A total of 14 guests from various parts of the country and the world all relaxing and having a great time. We did notice that our host knew when and where to use the appropriate language. A must see for everyone.
We will surely revisit.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

The reviews for this B&B are a bit outdated. The pictures are completely accurate though. My Husband and I needed a quick weekend getaway and have enjoyed B&B's in the past. We were excited to find this one near Starved Rock. We arrived and were impressed with the look of the whole place. Unfortunatly nothing else was not what we expected. Maria is no longer at the home and Bobby Joe is the host. We were looking for some privacy and time to connect with each other and this was not something that happened in the constant company of Bobby Joe. While he is an "interesting" person and has many stories to tell make sure that you do not bring the kids as many are for adults only. We brought some beer with us and were supprised when Bobby Joe joined us with his ever-present drink as well. He was kind enough to show us the pig farm across the street (Yes you can smell it when sitting outside, but it is not awful). He even rode the poor animal for many of the guests. The breakfast was also not what we anticipated after reading the reviews here. We got scrammbled eggs, bacon and white toast. There are a variety of teas and pleanty of coffee available. This is not a place for privacy, as we knew of other guests that were asked to give Bobby Joe a ride to town to go to the store and he did not have a car to go himself, we found it difficult to be in any common area without him and his conversation.
That is the bad, the good is that the rooms are reasonably priced and very comfortable. The B&B is well placed for hiking and canoeing and many other activities. I recommend dinner at Hank's near the expressway for dinner.
Overall this was not a totally lost weekend, we really enjoyed the area.

• Liked — Location and cost
  • Disliked — Lack of privacy, talkative host.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank kborn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottawa
28.6 km away
29.2 km away
Days Inn Oglesby/ Starved Rock
7.6 km away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Starved Rock Area

Been to Fox River Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK