All reviews green line motor inn the main hotel frank lloyd wright downtown chicago hotel section unity temple older hotel two sinks kitchen area refrigerator and microwave front desk staff train station within walking distance attached restaurant historic hotel room was large
Reviewed 19 August 2017

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Carleton in July. They were absolutely amazing to work with. We were able to use their beautiful ballroom for dinner and dancing, as well as a gorgeous 1920s looking bar, a sitting room and a larger event room for our cocktail hour and just as extra space for our guests to mingle in, relax, and have a great time.

The hotel has a vintage beauty to it, which worked perfectly with our Art Deco wedding theme. Candice coordinated all the details of the day perfectly. She was so on top of everything, handled details with my vendors, let me drop off decorations at any point the week before the wedding, set everything up perfectly, and then boxed it all up for us after the wedding for pick-up at our convenience. She made the craziness that is wedding planning as stress free as possible.

The food was wonderful, we received compliments from all our guests on their dinners. The service the entire night was quick and discreet. Every last detail was taken care of beautifully and exactly as I wished.

My husband and I received a free stay in their honeymoon suite the night of our wedding, which was a beautiful space. We both appreciated the jacuzzi tub the next morning after a very long day and a night full of dancing.

I found their prices to be very reasonable. If you're in Chicago and planning your wedding and are balking at Chicago wedding prices, consider looking a little further west to Oak Park and the Carleton. They made our wedding truly unforgettable.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sassypandacafe
CarletonGM, General Manager at The Carleton of Oak Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Thank you for your review! We are delighted to hear that your wedding was truly unforgettable and we were honored to host your event. Best wishes to the both of you.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I had to travel to Oak Park for a funeral. I'd stayed here before and really wanted to do so again. I was able to book a room on short notice with no problem (call, don't try doing it through the website). Staff were courteous, the room was very nice. Having 2 restaurants in the same building was convenient. Downtown Oak Park is just outside your door, and downtown Chicago is just an El ride away.
The more I travel, the more I seek out boutique hotels, for their charm and to escape the sameness of the big chains. You sacrifice only a small bit of comfort and in return you get a more personalized experience. If I have another Oak Park trip I'll definitely stay at The Carleton again.

Room Tip: Avoid the motel if you can and stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Nora A
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

The hotel is nice not in the downtown but has a subway station very close and free parking. The hotel has two types of room both very comfortable and the rates are good.
It doesn't include any meal...

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yazbe20
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Short stay for a wedding. Rooms are neatly appointed and of a grander size from an older era. The Hotel could do with an interior refresh and some decent air conditioning units. Beds were very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 21 July 2017

We stayed here for the Wright Plus 150 (Frank Lloyd Wright tour of homes) and for the most part the hotel was fantastic however we had a room in the motel section. It was a very quaint room and extremely clean and retro design. Everything was great until the night time. I woke up around 1am when the next door neighbors came in. First it was the loud door, then loud voices and then the shower. The walls are so thin I was sure they were standing in our room. At 2am they started using the hairdryer and this went on for an hour. I called down to the front desk, they were very apologetic and someone came to speak to them. They quieted for about 15 minutes and then it all started again. We tried to get a hotel room the next day but they were fully booked. When we checked out they asked how we enjoyed our stay, again we said it was beautiful and very clean and we then we told them the story of the two nights. The host was very nice and tried to compensate us as best he could. This was very thoughtful of him and we did appreciate it very much. We will defiantly stay here again as long as we can get a hotel room.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Motel if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple