“Excellent Modern Mexican food”

Mesa Urbana Mexican Fusion
Reserve with OpenTable
Mesa Urbana Mexican Fusion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 128 Restaurants in Northbrook
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 30
Description: MESA URBANA BISTRO FEATURING MEXICAN FUSION Mesa's Global Cuisine, bustling ambiance, handcrafted cocktails, colorful decor are in keeping with Chicago's finest dining spots. Conveniently located on the North Shore.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The food in this place is excellent but don't expect Tex-Mex, and that is what I like about it. The salsa with the chips is to die for. We had the guacamole appetizer which they serve with these marvelous radishes, cucumbers, celery, etc. The guac was delicious and it was nice to have something other than chips. (This restaurant does try to be on the healthy end of Mexican food.) Three of us had fish tacos which were four small tacos on soft tortillas and the fish and slaw were great. Highly recommend them. It comes with a side of delicious beans. Other people in our party had the salmon and the scallops. Both raved about the food. The service was great and the owner came by and chatted at the end of our meal. Absolutely going back.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Our first experience here. I could see lots of stains, like sprinkles and runs of coffee on the outside of my husband's coffee cup, luckily before he drank. They were dry to my finger—didn't come off with rubbing—waiter claimed he's spilled it but that would have had to have been a long time beforehand to be so resistant to removal.
The inside of my hot water teacup had grayish stains which didn't rub off so I figured they might be resistant to washing and I wouldn't get sick (this ended up being true). But, I don't see why you'd have that for serving people.
Strange that all silverware for at least 8-10 people at our 4-seater table were jumbled all together, in a jar—similar to other tables, for the patrons to fish out, and I had to do a fair amount of fishing to get out the ones that the four of us needed. I didn't mind so much, but wondered how I'd have felt if we weren't the first ones in the restaurant and I had known others had been fishing in the jar ahead of us.
Kind of odd, really long spoons for our cups, were the only ones I could see.
A plus was bringing our two kids intestingly-decorated plastic cups with water as soon as the waiter came to our table.
He said the sauce for the chips which he refilled cheerfully, was not spicey, but it was. I didn't mind but it was too much for one kid.
The serving sizes for the BBcue steak tacos were small but tasted good, as others commented. The chicken with couscous was okay per my husband. The kids liked the macaroni and cheese a lot and found my beef tasty. There was a realtively wide selection. Similar to food, the drinks were expensive...$5 for lemonade for kids was too much.
There was no sugar (just non-sugar sweeteners) at our table and I had to wait a long time for the waiter to stop watching TV to get his attention.
Someone came to speak to us after we'd finished (perhaps the owner...he didn't say). He seemed nice enough and asked us how things were but got interrupted by the waiter who came between the gentleman and us to dowhatever he was doing, and the man went away without us knowing for sure.
I don't think we'll come back.

Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

The food was very good; we did not like atmosphere at all. Tables very close together, dark, and they served so fast we were done in less than one hour. Not my idea of dining out on Sat. Night. In spite of good food, I would not go back!

Reviewed 11 December 2017

Mostly enjoyed our meal. Food and service were both good. A little annoying that they charge extra to make a minor substitution in side dishes. On Open Table and also Dining Rewards.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

..... too many downsides to overlook this visit. Our second visit and although the flavors and presentations were still excellent and very tasty the visit was marred by too many issues to get my four or five stars.

Too crowded - two of us were bumped by wait staff at least once a minute despite not sticking out into the aisle..... too many tables too close together leading to TOO much noise.... hard to hear ones table mates.

The biggest issue was with portions and cost - my shrimp tropicale was $25 and I found but 4 medium sized crustaceans and my friends ‘s scallops numbered 2! The tacos were tasty but also very small..... we were hungry afterwards....

Positives include the sushi trio, fundido and the drinks, salsa and chips. Service and management were present and pleasant but 5 drinks, 2 apps, and 4 mains should not cost 250$ to dine in an overcrowded strip mall restaurant without even a tablecloth......

Sad to say, but I’ll have to think hard before we return.....