Lowest prices for your stay
$129
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
Renaissance Hotels
$131
Hotels.com
$137
Expedia.com$137
Priceline$137
travelup.com$150
All reviews ruth chris front desk staff nice hotel free parking concierge lounge night's sleep lobby chicago meeting
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 September 2021

As a preflight stayover we chose the Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel. It was a good choice. It's easy to reach, has free parking and is a good hotel if you don't want to stay in the city center and if you are not afraid for some driving. You reach downtown within ca. 30 minutes via Uber - so it's not too inconvenient. Which is also the same time to reach O'hare

The service at reception was super friendly and fast and we got to our room with a king size bed quickly and easily.
The room was very well designed and very comfy. We really loved the different, pleasing interior design choices in the room. Very creative. The room was clean and the furniture looked and appeared well maintained.
The bathroom was not very big, but also well designed. The glass-barn-doors for the shower were a new interesting impression for me.

Only critique point for the stay was the water pressure in the shower - that was way too low, and it took very / too long till warm water was provided.

The bed was comfy and provided a good night sleep.
Overall it was a good stay in Chicago and can be recommended.

Date of stay: August 2021
1  Thank Alfons M
Sunny Finnell, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2021

Dear Alfons M,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to share your review. It’s encouraging to know that your stay was pleasant. Our goal is to provide comfort to all our guests who are away from home; your feedback allows us to monitor how we are doing. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to your return trip.

Best,

Reviewed 7 September 2021 via mobile

The fact that this is supposed to be an upscale hotel is a joke. The service is horrible and the rooms are terrible. When we arrived we were told they did not have the king room we reserved but instead could only give us a queen. Once in the room we discovered there were no toiletries. There was not even a bar if soap to wash our hands. We called to ask and they said they would bring it and they never did. There was no floor mat and no hairdryer as listed in the amenities. The next day they agreed to move us to a king size room and that room also was missing some toiletries, had a broken hair dryer, and piles of dirt on the floor . The front desk said they would have a supervisor call an they never called.

The rooms are very dark with terrible lightening. The sliding glass door on the bathroom is useless. They don't stay close and provide zero privacy in the bathroom.

Probably due to Covid the bar was closed and they were not offering any breakfast or food.

Date of stay: September 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank KCSTL
Sunny Finnell, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2021

Dear KCSTL,

We sincerely regret your experience. This is definitely not up to our standards. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments regarding the issues you encountered during your stay. Your feedback is of great importance and allows us to monitor and improve. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 20 August 2021 via mobile

We did not receive keys to our room for 5 hours because “the system was down.” (A Hotel employee did let us up to our room at first.) The room is dingy and the decor is 20 years outdated. There was one bar of soap, no bottled water, no food on the concierge floor. When I called to ask, I was told there was no food in the hotel. I said why? The answer was there has been no food since Covid. Hmmm. Many restaurants have struggled on since Covid, able to serve coffee to their guests.
The wood floor has weak areas like your foot is going to go through the floor into the next room below. This place would be fine for a motel six. It is not a Renaissance. Do not come here.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank profmom57
Sunny Finnell, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2021

Dear profmom57,

I apologize for our shortcomings during your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. One of the main ways we improve is by receiving feedback from our valued guests. I thank you for your business and assure you that these comments are being addressed on our end. We hope you will consider a return trip should your travels bring you back to Northbrook.

Reviewed 30 July 2021

I was here for two days for a local wedding.

The rooms are fine until you try to go to sleep. The walls are paper thin, and you can hear everything the person next door is saying or watching on television.

It probably didnt help that they were having a party until 2 or 3 am. I called 4 times to the hotel and they took an hour to send someone up to say something. After that, they continued talking but at a much lower level for another hour. Giving me very little sleep that night. BTW you could hear everyone in the hallway as well.

There are no amenities at the hotel, so no breakfast and they didnt provide any service at all such as cleaning the room during the time we were there.

Date of stay: July 2021
2  Thank weiweidog
Sunny Finnell, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2021

Dear weiweidog,

I’m sorry to hear that noise pollution interrupted the comfort of your stay. Your comfort is our highest priority and I regret that we left you less than completely satisfied. Your feedback is welcomed as it allows us to monitor the guest experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed 13 July 2021 via mobile

The room upgrades are very nice... but the staff is having a very hard time keeping up with the quality. I encountered 2 staff members who were pleasant and helpful but MANY others who were not. I made a request for service in my room and it was not honored but marked as completed, twice. And when I brought it to a staff member's attention they brushed it off as if it was not an issue. And as a Bonvoy member, I really don't feel I should have been treated or addressed in such a manner. My bed had STAINS, the floors in the bathroom were not clean! And as some one who understand short staffing and shortages I do bring my own cleaning supplies but it's not to deep clean a room I am entering. Also if my request is for my health and safety I think it should have been handled differently. Also, the police were called to the establishment about 3 or more times for rowdy and disruptive guests who spilled alcohol and other fluids in the elevators (going to club level floors). This was an unsettling sight for me, my partner and family members who were esteemed guests staying at the hotel for a local event.
I wish I could write a better review but I can't. And from what I understand I have family members with similar complaints about cleanliness in their room as well which are true HEALTH CODE VIOLATIONS!

For the wonderful people I did encounter I thank you kindly and I understand that your job is not easy. I hope that through this review there will be some change.

Room tip: Be sure to check your room thoroughly!! If you want to sight see in the city be mindful of distance, traffic can hold you up, plan ahead.
Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank imanit_23
Sunny Finnell, General Manager at Renaissance Chicago North Shore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2021

Dear imanit_23,

I'm very sorry that we disappointed you with both our accommodations and service. Fresh accommodations and warm hospitality are our business, so I regret that we let you down. Your time in sharing candid feedback is appreciated and reviewed by us to continually foster improvements. For this reason, we hope that you might consider a return visit. We'd love another opportunity to show you that we care about you and your stay.