“Good for families”

Fujiyama Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #47 of 124 Restaurants in Northbrook
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

My family and I were in the area and needed a place for dinner. Reviews for this restaurant were good, so we gave it a try. There was only 1 woman serving the entire dining room but she did it with efficiency of not a smile. While we were there we noticed many "regulars" with kids and were felt relieved. In fact, the server accommodated our request for a 1/2 portion of chicken katsu at half of the regular price. Much appreciated! The sushi was authentic as was the miso soup and ginger dressing on the salad. Recommended!

Reviewed 26 August 2016

I've been coming here for 21 years! Hard to believe. I love sushi and search it out wherever I travel. There are sushi restaurants with some more exotic offerings, but nobody offers fish this fresh and such plentiful portions. Most places have more rice than fish. Here it is the opposite. Paul carefully scrutinizes each delivery to make sure it meets his standards. You can tell quality by the small things. The seaweed wrappers used are 'crisp' and not soggy as in most places. Everything is carefully handmade there from the wasabi to the miso soup. And there is a variety of rolls that are astounding. If you want to experiment Paul will eagerly offer some 'challenging' sushi. Yellowtail liver? Fish fin? And the largest, fattest soft shell crabs you'll ever see. Ok, enough of this ... I'm headed to Fujiyama NOW!! Hope Paul has Uni today.

Reviewed 20 May 2016 via mobile

One of the best Japanese restaurant in the area, it is small and not particularly fancy but the food is stellar. I came with a Japanese colleague and he was positively surprised, too. There are very few tables and it is very crowded so I recommend to arrive early. Again, great Japanese food, I really recommend.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We have been going to Fujiyama for over 15 years...The sushi is the best by far. You have to be patient as Paul makes all the Sushi, But I promise that the wait is always worth it!

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

I decided to try out this place since it was reasonably close to my hotel and options around the Northbrook area are a bit limited.

The place is located in a shopping mall, which means that you can't expect anything fancy or upscale from the decor. This leaves it almost all up to the quality of the food and the service (unless you can eat sushi with your eyes closed using your chopsticks).

I wouldn't say this is too tall an order for what is the food and attention that the owner and his wife put on your meal, and I am happy to say that the quality of what I tried here was simply outstanding.

The reason I'm not getting the place anymore than three stars is two things:
1) The price I paid for my meal was significant in relation to the size of what was served. It it's very clear to me that's sushi is not supposed to be a filling food experience, and that it is all about quality not quantity... but paying $35 for a sashimi platter with 12 slices of fish was a little rich. Adding 4 sushi pieces bumped the tab up to $50.

2) Plates and glass were the kind you buy in bulk at Costco. Tough to feel special in that type of setting.

With this said, maybe another time I can try the rest of the menu and learn more about the other Japanese food varieties offered. I'm not about to give up on it yet. I like it when I can tell the owner (dishing out the sushi behind the bar) is working hard to make sure you enjoy.