“Really good food”

Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Matteson
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: The Hidden Manna cafe is family owned and operated. We feature Creole & American comfort foods. We only serve the freshest fare at reasonable prices. Stop by and check out our imported coffees and teas.
Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

I took a chance on this place for dinner with a friend. I was a bit apprehensive given a couple of the reviews posted regarding wait times and level of service. I am happy to say that I had a very positive experience. I was greeted right away and put on the waiting list. I waited a reasonable five minutes before being shown to a table. Our waitress Lucy was warm and welcoming. Our food took about 25 mins from ordering to table. It was worth the wait. I had the catfish filet and grits which was really really good. The sauce was superb. The dining room is small so if there are a bunch of people in front of you wait times could be longer which would be a bit frustrating. Upon leaving we were thanked for coming which was a nice touch. All in all a nice experience and a great meal. I plan on coming back.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

My daughter and I went there on a Wednesday for lunch. The customer service was great, the waitress was very attentive and the food was tasty. The rest rooms were clean, the parking lot was a bit small but there was street parking and the Metra was walking distance. I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

If I could give this restaurant no stars, I would. My experience was HORRIBLE last night. My boyfriend and I waited for 25 minutes to get seated after being told we would wait only 10 minutes. When we got to our table, they had thr music blasting so loud that we couldn't not even talk comfortably across the table to each other. We waited for 10 minutes to be addressed by the waitress. We order a bottle of wine, the spinach and artichoke dip, and our entrees as soon as yhe waitress came over to the table because we didn't want to wait. Our bottle of wine was served by a young man who didn't even knpw how to open the bottle. I had to train him how to get the cork out of the bottle. By the way the spinach dip was DISGUSTING. Flavorless, runny, tasted like a bowl of cream, full spinach leaves that turned slimy, hardly any artichoke hearts. So we for another hour and half for our food. We finished our entire bottle of while and our food still easnt there. Both of our dishes come out COLD. We were so annoyed that we told our waitress to take entree off the bill and we would pay for the wine and nasty appetizer. 40 dollars down the DRAIN!! On top of that they don't have a staff bathroom...so it was not a pleseant sight to walk in the bath room and see THREE waitress standing in the bathroom talking to each other. Don't waste your time here. As an African American, I was excited to be able to spend my money on a African American restaurant in the suburbs but I was very disappointed with thr food and the service. I don't want to see another black business fail because of these avoidable mistakes...they need to get it together ASAP!

1  Thank Ty D
Reviewed 5 October 2017

A two half-hour wait Very Rude Owner, She offended 3 other customer's before offended my party. The waitress has never been to class, we had to pass everything down even to the customer's that were not in our party, I have never seen such low class hospitality to new customer's coming to patronize your establishment for the first time. I am not talking about the new young crowd, we were 60 plus. No, one disrespected the waitress, she got the order Wrong and instead of saying let me correct it. The very owner with no class comes and act very unprofessional.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

In town for a concert, we stumbled on Hidden Manna and loved it. Ordering at the recommendations of our server, the Shrimp and Grits were the best ever. Go...you won't be disappointed.