All reviews front desk place to stay past few years hotel breakfast clean rooms worked fine parking lot free breakfast restaurants and shopping the manager's reception three nights nice breakfast staff was very friendly great customer service pancake maker wedding party munich
Reviewed 18 August 2017

This is the only hotel in Lake Zurich, but you might want to stay in an adjacent town to avoid this hotel. Everything looks good on the outside and in the lobby. But the rooms are cheap and poorly maintained. I had stains in the carpet, a cheap bed, and a toilet that didn't work properly. I was put in a different room on the second night, it was cleaner but same cheap mattress and another toilet that didn't work properly. Apparently, according to the staff, they are slowly replacing the toilets at their property- they aren't a good model. That makes sense though because you can tell they were cutting costs in the rooms. This place isn't worth the rate IHG charges for it.

The staff didn't seem surprised by my request for a different room- I think they get that a lot there. The staff was the best part of the stay but I would still go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
12  Thank backschmid2000
Robin L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your recent stay. I would be happy to discuss further. You can reach me at 847-726-7500.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

When we arrived at the HI Express on Sunday, July 23, we had difficulty getting to the hotel since an area was roped off to protect the newly laid tar near the property.

Of course, this wasn’t the hotel’s fault. But when we finally found our way onto the hotel's driveway, we checked in and shared our ordeal with the manager at the front desk. He laughed and said he had the same problem coming into work and apologized for the problem. Thankfully, the tar had dried the following day and the tape and road cones had been removed.

The hotel in general is very nice and the same can be said about our room. There was a Keurig coffeemaker at our disposal and free Wi-Fi. The room was so nice and indeed our home away from home.

We had a minor problem with a lamp that didn't work and the manager immediately replaced it once it was brought to his attention. During our stay, the hotel had work done on their Wi-Fi network; for some reason, our Internet access was somewhat interrupted. But, given the service we received overall, it's a sure bet needed tweaks have resolved the problem by now.

The front desk has snacks, soda, beer and wine that guests can be purchased with cash, credit/debit card, or have charged to their room. Breakfast is served every morning, and there is an onsite laundry room if needed.

The general area has a Kohl's department store and a Culver's, north on Rand. The strip mall near the hotel has a Starbucks, Dairy Queen, and a host of other businesses and services. (If you had car trouble while visiting this area, you'd be in luck by having a Napa and O'Reilly auto parts shops nearby, as well as Lake Zurich Tire & Auto).

If you intend to visit Barrington, you will have your pick of various restaurants in the area. Like thin-crust pizza and a nice glass of red wine? Have a seat at The Slyce Coal-Fired Pizza Co., 127 N Main St, Wauconda, IL 60084. You won't be disappointed.

So, given our wonderful stay, this Holiday Inn-Express will be our go-to place when we're again in town to visit family.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Robin L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

I primarily stayed here because of the proximity to my work. I also stayed because I found out in other reviews that they had a 24 hour pool and hot tub. Too few hotels have this policy. I work "strange hours" so this is a major benefit. During my stay, I found out that this place is what ALL Holiday Inn Express hotels should strive to be. The rooms were spotless and well equipped. The staff was top notch. The hotel was renovated recently. I was able to visit the manager's reception during one of my nights and it was a great experience. The GM was actually there serving food, wine, and beer, and most importantly thanking his guests for staying. Breakfast was better than you would expect from an HIE. I will absolutely stay there when I am in the area next time. I know that anything I needed they would provide. See you again soon.

Room Tip: No highways nearby. Back side of the hotel has a pond and trees.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for over a week. We checked into 2 separate rooms.

Pros- Hotel staff is great.
Remodeled hotel lobby is very nice.
Breakfast is pretty good - warning the eggs taste like they were made with a 3 D printer (not real eggs?).
Pool and Jacuzzi are open 24/7.
The beds are comfortable.

Cons- huge stains on the hotel room carpet in one of the hotel rooms. The stain was sticky when stepped on with my bare feet.
Toilets would not flush correctly had to hold the handle down to allow the toilet to flush (both rooms).
Exhaust fans for both restrooms did not work- mirrors steamed up after a shower.
TV in work out room did not work.
Porporri smell in the 2 rooms was overwhelming? Porporri power can not take the place of a clean room.

Overall we enjoyed the hotel stay!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Robin L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties with your rooms during your stay. We will certainly be addressing the issues you have brought to our attention. I hope you'll have another chance to stay with us where we can show you our improvements. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed a few nights for a wedding. Shuttle to/from reception was convenient and driver was friendly. Staff at hotel very nice and hotel room very comfortable. But the standout feature was the complementary breakfast. I've had other hotel breakfast and is so-so, you know that you get what you pay for (i.e. free). At this place not only was there a wide variety, but everything was excellent. Pancakes, scrambled eggs, omelets, cinnamon rolls all delicious. Definitely a good place to stay.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Robin L, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and were delighted with our breakfast. This has been an area of focus for our team, so we will be sure to pass on your compliments.