“Amazing service”

Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Description: Near 1-57 exit 308
Reviewed 13 July 2018

I love mexican food so I am always looking for the best place to go and El Mexicano was one of them!! The service there was by far the best service I have ever had. The inside was also decorated so uniquely! Will go again

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Not a complaint and I'd go back but I found the menu to be about what you'd expect overall and the food as well. There are a lot of options from platters to burritos. I had a fish thing (something capitan) that was decent overall. The portions were quite generous for the cost of the platter so that is a plus. Beans were not included so I had to purchase those separately. You get a ton of those too for the price.

I got take away but the interior was better than I expected with a good amount of tables. There is ample parking.

Reviewed 30 May 2018

My family stopped in on a Tuesday around 1:30 PM. As one would expect, it was not a busy time of day.

On the plus side, the decor is pleasant and they have a good selection of Mexican favorites. On the down side, service was average at best. I felt like our server was shooting himself in the foot. For example, he stopped by and offered us more chips. We agreed and he was soon back with the chips. He dropped them on the table and moved on before we could point out we needed salsa too. Why would he not bring these together? Later, I flagged him down and asked for a refill on my drink. He was gone before my family could ask for refills too. Why not ask, "Does anyone else need a refill?" Anyway, you get the idea. I think if he slowed down and worked smarter, he would have provided better service. Instead, he did a lot of unnecessary running back and forth (that's when we could flag him down which we were not always able to do).

Regarding the food, overall it was good but the Chori-Pollo we ordered was quite dry. I wonder if we got leftover chicken and sausage from the lunch rush that they simply melted some cheese over?

Would we return? No, probably not. I think there are better options out there.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

El Mexicano has been in business at the current location for about 10 years. They have some great lunch specials that are very reasonably priced and come out of the kitchen really quick if you are on a schedule. Located near Walmart and the 308/I 57 junction it is easily accessible. If you return for supper and need to relax, they have the biggest Margarita I’ve ever seen. When you are there, check out the chairs. There are very fun to look at.

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

I had to have some work done on a tire at Walmart in Kankakee and I had time to kill. I stopped at this little Mexican place right next door. I ordered a Modelo to drink. I then order the paella. I had never had paella before, but it sounded interesting. Steak, chicken, shrimp, peppers, onions, and tomatoes served on rice and covered in a cheese sauce.

The good: shrimp - chicken - peppers - rice.

The bad: steak was way over cooked - the tomatoes were cooked until black - the cheese sauce was on a small portion of the rice right in the center, hardly what I call "covered " in a cheese sauce.

Overall the taste of everything except the steak was good. Probably will give this place a try again to see if it is better, but as of now, cannot recommend to a friend.