Review Highlights

Take a drone

Reviewed 2 October 2018
ukmattyc
via mobile

All reviews blues brothers correctional facility information boards walls could talk great tourist attraction nice visit piece of history take pictures fence route filmed vandalism jake movie alcatraz tours elmwood
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visiting this Old Joliet Prison has been in our list for years as we had watched the film hundreds times. There are some information boards about the prison, Joliet etc at the parking area, unfortunately some of the information boards are faded away, needs new boards. We could not go inside, everywhere there is sign "No Tresspassing" and the sherrif is ready to get you locked up. It's a nice visit, though. Btw, about two hunderds meters from the prison, there is a beautiful mural of the Blues Brothers

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

No wonder this prison has been the setting for so many movies including the Blues Brothers. Only stopped in the car park but lots of photo opportunities and plenty of history about the place on the display boards in the car park. Worth a quick stop. Now I want to see the Movies again!

Reviewed 11 October 2018

We weren't sure what to expect on this tour as this is the first year they have been offered. We thought there might not be enough time spent inside the buildings. That was not the case! This was an excellent tour. The docent knew about the history and she communicated in a very lively manner. We spent time outside on the grounds and inside the medical building and the solitary cell block. We were also able to look into other buildings including one of the main cell blocks. Overall a great tour.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I got some amazing video with my drone here. When we visited there were no tours and the prison was fenced off. Except for the car park. Do not trespass, security officers patrol.

1  Thank ukmattyc
Reviewed 16 September 2018

Tours of the Old Joliet Prison began about 3 1/2 weeks ago. They are $20 per person and last about 1 1/2 hours. You park in the Old Joliet Prison Park parking lot. There is a lot of walking and most of it is outdoors as the prison in still in disrepair, although it has been cleaned up a lot to be able to even conduct any type of tour. The guide was excellent and they are on a mission from God to get this place up for the community. Too bad the prison wasn't maintained once it closed in 2002 but it is still very interesting. An original cell from the mid 1850's is on display that will give you bad dreams.

2  Thank Mar L
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Had a quick photo stop here. Nice to read some of the history. Shame it is closed for now. Hopefully next time we can do a tour.

1  Thank Samantha25uk
Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

The community is going through a ten year plan to open this place back up for tours. Great architecture, history that dates back to the mid 1800’s - the oldest functional prison in the U.S.. It’s not ready for prime time yet - it’s in work. Wishing them success, this needs to preserved as it will makes a great tourist attraction that’s equal to Alcatraz.

Reviewed 25 July 2018

This was a must see if you ever saw The Blues Brothers film. We were surprised we could drive right up to the prison. The initial guard gate was open. Two of us jumped out to take pictures. The guard came out of the prison and told us we would have to delete our pictures. I did and we left. I thought that was odd because you can google the prison and get lots of the same pictures. Oh, and we missed Jake and Elwood.

2  Thank JMoore55
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I love the Blues Brothers and was a big fan of prison break. It was cool to see the prison and drive around fortunately I was on the outside as I sure would not want to be on the inside

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

I was thrilled to see the old Prison. I was on a mission from gad! The place is on the fringe of Joliet. You might expect a prison to be far from town and you’d be correct.

It’s yet another case of Tourist Attraction gone horribly wrong. All the windows are smashed. Someone set fire to a storage building in the compound recently. Fortunately, stone done right lasts a very long time. This could be a great tourist attraction. I was surprised to see people from all over the world in town for some fun. Route 66 is a big draw. This could be a must see. It’s under surveillance by the local PD. A car was posted there and he never took his eyes off me. Repositioning the car so he didn’t even have to move his neck. I went up to the gate to ask some workers what was up. He jumped out of his car and was on me in a flash. I don’t profile like a perpetrator. I don’t think this attraction is even an attraction anymore. Go there at your own risk. Kind’ve a let down. They’re wasting it.

2  Thank Iratdog