Review Highlights
The Blues Brothers

Visiting this Old Joliet Prison has been in our list for years as we had watched the film hundreds... read more

Reviewed 25 October 2018
Solodam J
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Take a drone

I got some amazing video with my drone here. When we visited there were no tours and the prison was... read more

Reviewed 2 October 2018
ukmattyc
Timnath, Colorado
via mobile

All reviews blues brothers correctional facility information boards walls could talk great tourist attraction nice visit piece of history take pictures route filmed vandalism movie alcatraz tours elmwood illinois plaques
Reviewed 29 December 2017

If I had a few million laying around i'd buy this up and turn it into a hotel/museum with a blues brother theme playing a concert at least once a week!! so sad that this is falling apart - but glad I crossed this off my to do list!

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

Inconvenient to get there but well worth it! It's just as eerie as expected. Such a historical site plus we are huge Blues Brothers fans. Needs to be a restored historical site. Fun, interesting site.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This meant nothing to me. My husband watched the Blues Brothers a million years ago and wanted to visit. Nice building though. Would make a great hotel. I suppose it has to be done if travelling on Route 66.

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

I went there because I did a small tour of almost all Blues Brothers filming locations (just Google for complete movie locations guides and you'll find multiple). This is one of the most famous but hasn't been used as a prison for many years. It is now guarded because there were too many break ins and fires. City should buy it as a tourist attraction: a small movie section and some escape room attractions will fit right in.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Right on the old Route 66 out of Chicago, this place is well worth stopping off at, but it could be so much more...

Came here because of the Blues Brothers, the exterior of this historical prison is impressive. Unfortunately it is falling into decay. Although there are plenty of fences and "No Trespassing" signs, it's easy enough for anyone to get inside. Unfortunately not everyone wants to preserve this place.

I hope that the State of Illinois can find enough money in the near future to restore at least a part of this monument, and open it up to the public. I'm sure there would be enough interest to pay for the costs. Maybe a donation from the movie/TV profits?

Date of experience: September 2017