Review Highlights
Take a drone

I got some amazing video with my drone here. When we visited there were no tours and the prison was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Matty C
via mobile
Prison Tours Now Being Conducted

Tours of the Old Joliet Prison began about 3 1/2 weeks ago. They are $20 per person and last about... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Mar L
Chicago, Illinois

All reviews blues brothers correctional facility walls could talk great tourist attraction piece of history take pictures route filmed vandalism jake fence movie alcatraz tours elmwood penitentiary mission
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This meant nothing to me. My husband watched the Blues Brothers a million years ago and wanted to visit. Nice building though. Would make a great hotel. I suppose it has to be done if travelling on Route 66.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

I went there because I did a small tour of almost all Blues Brothers filming locations (just Google for complete movie locations guides and you'll find multiple). This is one of the most famous but hasn't been used as a prison for many years. It is now guarded because there were too many break ins and fires. City should buy it as a tourist attraction: a small movie section and some escape room attractions will fit right in.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Right on the old Route 66 out of Chicago, this place is well worth stopping off at, but it could be so much more...

Came here because of the Blues Brothers, the exterior of this historical prison is impressive. Unfortunately it is falling into decay. Although there are plenty of fences and "No Trespassing" signs, it's easy enough for anyone to get inside. Unfortunately not everyone wants to preserve this place.

I hope that the State of Illinois can find enough money in the near future to restore at least a part of this monument, and open it up to the public. I'm sure there would be enough interest to pay for the costs. Maybe a donation from the movie/TV profits?

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Fans of Prison Break will enjoy seeing the outside of the prison but that is all that is allowed. There are a few informational signs about the the prison's history as well as a bench and picnic table. There are no tours and no trespassing.

Unfortunately this prison has been left to decompose while Illinois continues to be nearly bankrupt.

1  Thank No_Place_Like_Home4
Reviewed 3 September 2017

The old prison is fascinating. Lots of history, and lots of Hollywood. Part of The Blues Brothers movie was filmed here. The signage was helpful to understand a bit of the history, but I know I and many others are hopeful that someday we will be able to tour at least part of this prison. It's right on Route 66 and the architecture is impressive. Route 66 fans, movie fans, paranormal fans would all stand in line to tour this historic site. I'd rate this 5 stars if only I could tour inside.

1  Thank roadtrippinchick