Review Highlights
Take a drone

I got some amazing video with my drone here. When we visited there were no tours and the prison was... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Matty C
via mobile
Prison Tours Now Being Conducted

Tours of the Old Joliet Prison began about 3 1/2 weeks ago. They are $20 per person and last about... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Mar L
Chicago, Illinois

All reviews blues brothers correctional facility walls could talk great tourist attraction piece of history take pictures route filmed vandalism jake fence movie alcatraz tours elmwood penitentiary mission
Reviewed 3 September 2017

The old prison is fascinating. Lots of history, and lots of Hollywood. Part of The Blues Brothers movie was filmed here. The signage was helpful to understand a bit of the history, but I know I and many others are hopeful that someday we will be able to tour at least part of this prison. It's right on Route 66 and the architecture is impressive. Route 66 fans, movie fans, paranormal fans would all stand in line to tour this historic site. I'd rate this 5 stars if only I could tour inside.

1  Thank roadtrippinchick
Reviewed 30 August 2017

You can not go inside the penitentiary. You'll just have to see them beyond the wall or the fence.

I've read a lot of haunted stories regarding the prison. We went there in the afternoon. The closest we can get near was the entrance and we felt a little eerie and spooky.

Too bad this prison site were never maintained or made as a tourist attraction unlike Alcatraz. Many movies have been made here like Blues Brother etc.

I hope the town of Joliet will do something about it because the building is deteriorating and history is being destroyed.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

The prison itself is long closed. Are you old enough to remember"the Blues Brothers"? The opening scene was shot outside these walls. "Joliet Jake" is named after this town. "Elwood" is a small town just south of Joliet. Wear your old clothes.

1  Thank Johann20172017
Reviewed 3 August 2017

This beautiful old building is being destroyed by mother nature and vandals. Neither the state or the city can afford to keep this place up, someone had cut the grass at least once this year but not the trees or bushes. The day I stopped there was someones waste management can and garbage dumped on the lawn, those cans have registration numbers maybe the owner could be located. It would be great if someone could pull some resources and help together and get this place opened to the public a little at a time so some day it can be saved. Knowing the state of Illinois and the city of Joliet this wide spot in the road will some day fall into a state of disrepair that will require a demolition company to move in and finish it off, until then twenty minutes in the parking lot to look around at the sign boards is a joliet historical tour.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Very cool and nice there were big signs with information on the historic prison. Also we checked out Lockport nearby cute small town.