“Decent hotel”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Itasca
Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
“Decent hotel”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Pros:
* The staff were all genuinely courteous, friendly, helpful and welcoming.
* There is a very nice walking path a short distance away (through a field) where you can walk around several man-made lakes (with swans & weeping willows) and get a nice workout, weather permitting.
* The beds & pillows are quite comfy.
* Shuttle service within 5 miles, which includes Woodfield Mall.
* Safe area
* Breakfast isn't bad considering it's free.
* Clean

Cons:
* The A/C unit is rather noisy and doesn't have the option to keep on fan only.
* The doors to the rooms slam shut very loudly. You're at the mercy of your neighbors (if you're a lighter sleeper like me). I've run into loud doors at other hotels as well. Can't someone come up with a way to buffer this noise? It can't be that hard to do.

If I would've been able to sleep I'd give this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
KC
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We booked through an online travel site and picked a king bed. We planned to stay 5 nights. As we check in the front desk clerk changes our reservations to two double beds. I asked why and she stated that the travel site only suggested this to them, but it wasn't booked in their system that way (I did see her change my room request). This is the first hotel that I have booked online and had problems with. The next day I talked to the desk clerk and she promised me a king for that night, but that didn't happen. Talked to the manager and the same thing was stated as the night before. If they know this is a problem then why doesn't Hyatt fix this.

As for everything else. They were pleasant. The breakfast was good, but limited. Only protein was eggs.

Fairly close to train station, but not really close to anything else.

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed 23 July 2012

An extremely helpful and friendly staff would have made this place a 4 star even if it was a Motel 6. Yes, they were that good! We loved the way the room was divided into a sleeping area and living area, with a sectional sofa instead of a couch and chair. It really felt like it was a separate room, instead of one big room with a partial wall divider.
The only complaints were it was a little bit off the beaten path if you're looking to do Chicago, and the beds were too firm for our comfort. If you like a harder mattress and don't mind driving to catch the el or get to your destination in the chicagoland area, I don't see how you can beat it for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We booked our hotel room on a site that went through Expedian. Just so everyone knows if you book a room & pay for it in full on any site but on a hotels site itself you are not garanteed a room you slected or any room for that matter if the hotel has no vacants.

Coming from Indianapolis we took our time to get to the hotel that day so it was about 7 pm when we checked in. That is when we found out that the room we thought we reserved (2 double beds & a queen sofa sleeper) was not "reserved" for us. All they had left was a King bed and a queen sofa sleeper. When we "resserved the room" we had put that there would be 3 adults & 3 children and we were even charged $20 because of that.

After calling the 800 # on our reservation sheet we were told after several minites on hold that the whole area was booked and that if we wanted they could refund our money but then have no where to sleep so we had no choice but to take the smaller room. We stay there during the taste of Chicago 7/14-7-16.

I told the staff I wanted to see the room to make sure it would acomidate us all since I knew someone would be sleeping on the floor. We decided to take it and that is when we found out while we were upstairs that another staff member was giving the same LAST room to someone else. I even overheard that same guest asking th esame questions like us.

The staff was very nice about the whole situation but so was I since I am in customer service too. We requested more blankets, pillows and towels with no problem. The staff did tell us the next day we could switch to the correct room and even ordered us a pizza which I thought was a step above and beyond.

The breakfast was the best breakfast I have ever had in a hotel with many different choices. Waffels one day and french toast the next along with other items such as english muffins with cheese & egg on top. First time I left a hotel not thinking we need to eat soon.

Both rooms were very clean but the room with the 2 beds was much larger for a party our size. I would stay in this hotel again but next time I will just pay the hotel direct and just pay more to insure myself I have a room when I get there. We did get a small refund of $30.00 from the website we resereved the room from but it is not fair for the guest or the staff to have to deal with this problem all the time.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

If you've read any of my reviews, you'll find that I'm short and to the point. After all, I'm only a male and therefore have limited words at my disposal.

This hotel was fantastic. I had to find another place to stay in the area when I go to Itasca because the "other hotel" in the area is now rundown. (I've already written about that hotel).

This is not a luxury property but it is new, clean and high tech. Breakfast is included. I particularly enjoyed how I was late for breakfast and the staff got me some oatmeal. Nice. I'm coming back.

Oh, and one more thing: The hotel was fully booked and I still felt like the only customer!

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room near the elevator. I got it. It worked out nice even though the hotel was...