Hurawalhi Island Resort(Hurawalhi)
Kanuhura - Maldives(Kanuhura)
US$ 1,623
US$ 508
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 676/night.

Palm Beach Island Resort & Spa(Madhiriguraidhoo Island)
US$ 950
US$ 148
  • Beachfront
US$ 2,051
US$ 923
Savings alert! 48% below average rates

The price you found is 48% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 1,786/night.

Cheval Blanc Randheli(Randheli Island)
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 2,661
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 3,593/night.

Soneva Jani(Medhufaru)
US$ 4,160
  • Pool
2,282 results
All reviewsjacuzzi water villaeagle raycoconut ice creamfishour waiterour honeymoonsunset cruisewelcome songroom boybeach barboth sideswest sidevilla attendantlive cookingcooking stationrepeat visitorssea plane
Reviewed 5 April 2018

In every way, our holiday to Komandoo was just incredible. From the moment we arrived the service was outstanding. Owen, the General Manager greeted us both personally and showed us to reception where we were welcomed with a coconut drink and a welcome song. Everyone was so happy! Our room was ready, but we were encouraged to make the most of lunch time so we did. The food was incredible and was consistently fabulous throughout our stay. We stayed on the sunset side of the island in a JBV.

Good bits:
Everything, but especially...
House reef- takes your breath away, stunning fish and easily accessed, especially from the sunset side
Turtles, you will see them everyday, smaller ones close to shore, but larger ones on the west side of the island
The food- as mentioned above. It is lovely and fresh with a good selection. Watch out for the Chocolate pudding, it is divine!
Bed- Very comfortable and the air conditioning is very good which is welcome relief on a scorching afternoon
Staff- very friendly and helpful and really make you feel at home (the paradise version of home that is)
Sunset cruise- do this! We saw a pod of about 40 spinner dolphins all showing off their moves. The previous day they had also seen Pilot Whales.
The pier on the East (sunrise side) at night. Venture to the end of the pier as they have lights in the water and you see huge sting rays, eagle rays and brightly coloured trigger fish.

There were honestly no bad bits, but some top tips are:
If you like to lie in the shade, avoid Shell 6 (our villa). There was very little shade at any time of the day so we took to sitting out at the beach bar which is right next door.
We didn't use the pool, why when the sea is so warm and beautiful!?
Don't stand on the coral. You won't believe the number of people I saw walking across the coral at low tide. Not only can this give you a nasty sting/cut, it is extremely fragile and takes years to regenerate.
You get the chance to visit the local island - visible from the west side of the island. We did this and whilst it was interesting to learn about the trade, schooling and sustainability of power and water to the island, I was horrified how much rubbish there was scattered around the island. It made me sad to see and it really made me think about how big the problem is globally. I think I'd have preferred not to see it to be honest.

Overall I cannot rate Komandoo highly enough. We can't wait to return...

5  Thank moseleysarah
gmkomandoo, General Manager at Komandoo Maldives Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Moseleysarah,
Sunny greetings from us all in Komandoo! Thank you for the great review and 5 star rating! I am delighted you had such a wonderful time. Chef Oleg and his team do a magnificent job at providing such tasty treats for breakfast lunch and dinner. I am so pleased you got to see the pod of Pilot Whales, we don't see them too often so it is always an amazing experience when they do make an appearance.

once again, thank you for taking the time to share your Komandoo memories. If you need any information for a future booking please visit the web site or contact our reservations team directly.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

The moment I heard the welcome song as we arrived, I knew we had made a great choice. This was our 5th visit to The Maldives and our 1st to the island. We were there to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (and my husbands birthday) and from the moment we kicked our shoes off, to having to very reluctantly put them back on for the sea plane journey back to Male, we had a fantastic, relaxing holiday. The island is beautifully kept and everyone has a smile for you... the ladies who sweep the beaches and the paths, the bar staff, the restaurant staff, the managers.....everyone.....Our Jacuzzi beach villa was lovely and we were very well looked after by Saaed and Ibrahim but mostly by Jameel who was the most polite young man and his towel creations just delighted us. A big thank you to Riza, who looked after us at meal times and ensured that we had a bottle of the islands best vintage chilled water at every meal. He also did a superb job in arranging our candlelight dinner on our anniversary - it was very special. Thank you to Suraj, Wijay and especially Nishan in the Falhu Bar.....such good fun and loved his sign board at the entrance. Another noticeable thing is that many of the managers are very visible and always happy to chat. Thank you to Owen and all the team, including Mousa, Amanda, Shareef....and so many others that we did not get your names. You really made us feel like friends by the end of our holiday. It may have been our 1st visit - but it will not be our last. Keep up the brilliant work and continued success.

Stayed: March 2018
14  Thank AlsGal08

Dear AlsGal08,
Sunny greetings from us all at Komandoo! What a fantastic review, thank you. It is such a pleasure to read we have been apart of guests special occasions, always and honor. Thank you as well for recognizing many team members by name, this is very much appreciated. Of course, the biggest compliment is that you intend to return, this is something we all work so hard at achieving.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon. For any assistance with booking please visit the website or contact our reservations team directly.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Our third visit to the Maldives and our third resort with water villas. The island is very small with the water villas at one end. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My wife travelled with a back problem so we were concerned about the location of the water villas at the opposite end of the island from the restaurant. The island is not suitable for more disabled visitors as there is no motorised transport but the 'off road' wheelchair helped and there was always the offer of assistance should we need it.

The villas are very comfortable with air con and proper steps down into the lagoon. Not a ladder. An extra bed was provided as requested. The villas are well separated and we had no problems with unsociable noise.

The food was very good buffet style with a different theme every night. European breakfasts but lunch and dinner were more international. The service throughout the resort was excellent and very attentive, especially as my wife's mobility was limited.
Riza and Eshan were particularly helpful. The complimentary sunset cruise was very enjoyable with the banter from the boat crew and the many dolphins sighted adding to it.
We've paid a considerable amount at other resorts for a trip half as good.

The snorkelling was very good (despite considerable bleaching damage to the reef). A wide variety of fish and green turtles on virtually every outing. The drop off is only some 30-40m away from villas 1-5 and there was no noticeable problem with the current whilst we were there. Even in the lagoon there was a wide range of interesting fish with large GT's under the villa, stingrays and black tip sharks regularly seen. An ideal place to learn to snorkel.

The evening fishing trip was well organised and your fish were served up the next day cooked to your preference.

Being a small island we never felt crowded by other tourists and in general the visitors whilst we were there were from Europe.

The call to prayer etc from the nearby island was hardly noticeable but try and get villas 5 - 8 which have uninterrupted views of the Indian Ocean and are close to the drop off.

We preferred a previous island for its 'a la carte' menu at BL and D but overall this was the best island we have visited so far and we would go back.

Room Tip: Water villas 5-8
2  Thank Polybin

Dear Polybin,
Greetings from sunny Komandoo! Thank you for your detailed review. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us. We are very proud to offer simple luxury for adults. As you mention the complimentary sunset cruise is usually graced by the appearance of dolphins and our fishing trips are great fun. I do hope your wifes back is feeling better.

It is a huge compliment to read that you would return and rate us as the best island you have visited, thank you. If we can assist in any way with another booking please visit the web site or contact our reservations team directly.

Kind regards

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We booked Komandoo direct with the resort, after doing extensive research, for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. All of the communication that we had was excellent and we were very excited about our first visit to the Maldives, our first all-inclusive holiday ever, our first seaplane journey, our first time staying in a water villa and our first holiday without our children (or anyone elses as it is adults only). We stayed for one week, which seemed the perfect amount of time.

The flight landed on time at Male and we were directed to the correct booth by some helpful airport staff. We were well looked after and guided onto the bus to the seaplane terminal. We were shown the lounge where we had to wait and we were told that our flight on the seaplane would not take off for a couple of hours. I would say that this was the only part of the journey that could have been improved in that there was nothing to do in the lounge. We had given our hand luggage bag over to be checked into the seaplane and didn't have any books, mobile chargers or games to keep us entertained. Our fault! We knew that there would be a small wait, so just be aware not to make the same mistake.

The seaplane journey was great and we were the only guests to exit the plane at Komandoo International Airport (a floating raft!). Instantly, we were met by the resort staff on the boat that transferred us to the resort, providing us with cool towels. We were met by Owen, the manager, who walked us to reception and made us feel really welcome. It was about 2pm and it was lovely that Rashad (our resort guide) had the forethought to get us sat down for lunch as it closed at 2.30pm.

We had a tour of the island and were then shown our Water Villa. Our luggage was already there, along with a bottle of Champagne that we enjoyed on our terrace. Then, a week of paradise began - amazing food, cocktails on tap, stunning snorkelling and wildlife, plenty of romantic beach walks and a host of friendly and helpful staff. We saw reef sharks, rays large and small, herons, fruit bats, turtles, dolphins, moray eels and a huge variety of tropical fish. Definitely worth taking your own snorkelling stuff. Also, take a lot of suncream as the sun is very powerful - we used all of ours up in the first few days. There is a shop on the island, however, the prices for things like suncream are high enough for me to suggest that you take double what you think you'll need. Also, it is a really good idea to wear a t-shirt when snorkelling.

We did the Gold package and thoroughly enjoyed the island excursion, sunset cruise and spa treatments that were included. The scuba intro was ok, just not really my thing - my wife loved it! We spent most our days at the Thundi bar that was close to the water villas. We watched reef sharks feeding on the small fish that swam in the shallows - so much wildlife for such a small island. The highlight was swimming with the turtles that circulate the island - the snorkelling was much better on the Thundi bar side as the entrance to the reef was so much closer to the beach. We didn't have to pay anything extra for any food or drink for the whole week and the Gold package had a slightly better range of wines for the evening meals. We loved it that there wasn't food out all day and, if anything, we found it hard to have three meals a day as we ate so much!! Lunches were probably my favourite (stir fries, fresh fish, lovely soups), but I feel that I am betraying my love of the breakfast (amazing omelettes, crispy bacon, super toast). Dinner was just as good!

Food was amazing - we had no food intolerances but were asked about any we may have during our island orientation. Every mealtime we were greeted and seated and taken care of by our amazing waiter, Riza. Saeed, our first room boy was so smiley and happy and he did a great job of topping up our minibar everyday. Ibrahim, who took over mid way through the week, was equally as professional and helpful.

Anything that sounds like a complaint in this review should not be taken as such, it would detract only hundredths of a percentage point away from 100% satisfaction. Areas that I would like to see improved are the quality of the bathroom products (I was expecting some named brands like Molten Brown for the price that we paid) and the quality of the evening entertainment. I don't think that most of the people who would go to such a first class resort would expect to see a movie night, or a screening of the Blue Planet (which I sort of enjoyed more than I thought). Some more quality live music - not too intrusive - would have been much appreciated.

In summary, we found the island spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and helpful, the excursions interesting, the range and quality of the food and drinks amazing and the wildlife stunning. Our checkout was handled really smoothly and we had no problems or issues with our return home. If you are anything like me, you will read 100 excellent reviews and be put off by one terrible one. I have read the "terrible" reviews of Komandoo and the people that wrote them must either be unbelievably unlucky or impossible to please. This place is number one for a reason.

By the way, any photos I share were taken either with a GoPro Hero 6 (highly recommended, or any underwater camera) or my Samsung S7. No filters have been applied - it really was that beautiful.

Room Tip: Beach villas have their own bit of beach. Water villas have to find their own! Not a prob.
10  Thank MattyB124

Dear MattyB124,
Greetings from sunny Komandoo!! Thank you for a lovely and detailed review. We are all so very pleased you got the most out of what is on offer here in paradise. I value all your comments including the feedback relating to the entertainment to which I will address with the relevant department. Chef Oleg and his team do a great job offering such varied and tasty meals. Your photos are fantastic thank you for sharing. Thank you also for recognizing some of the team by name, they will all be most grateful.

Thank you once again and I hope to welcome you back very soon. For any assistance please visit the web site or contact our reservations team directly.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Why do we continue to return annually.....it ticks all our 'boxes'; .... things are changing & it could do with a bit of TLC...(the accommodation is beginning to look a bit jaded).. I just hope that Crown & Champa do not neglect Komandoo in favour of its new super resorts.
..this island is so special..the number of repeaters speak for this....we love it....and already rebooked for 2019.....wonderful island, superb staff....great reef.....no kids....love the new menu.....in a starfish villa....

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
4  Thank Richard_Vicki

Dear Richard_Vivki,
Sunny greetings from Paradise! Thank you for your great review. I am delighted you had another great visit. We are planning some TLC for the rooms this summer and hope we can complete the majority in time for your next visit. I can assure you we will continue to keep Komandoo at its well known high level of comfort and service.

I look forward to welcoming you when you next visit. For any assistance please visit the web site or contact our reservations team directly.