“Good food!”

Hayashi Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 147 Restaurants in Gurnee
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 10 August 2018

My husband and I got the shrimp tempora dinners to go. It was fresh and very tastee. They give you 7 good size shrimp and a side of rice and a choice of soup or salad.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I am always on the lookout for Japanese restaurants that make tempura and other entrees that taste like Japanese home cooking. Hayashi met my criteria. I ordered a combination dinner of tempura and salmon teriyaki.The tempura batter was light, had plenty of vegetables, and there were three shrimps. The tempura was not overcooked or greasy. The tempura sauce was light and not too sweet.
The salmon teriyaki was fresh, perfectly cooked and the sauce was not too sweet.
This combination came with rice and your choice of miso soup or salad. I chose the miso soup and was not disappointed. It reminded me of the miso soup I make at home.
My craving for Japanese food was met and I left a very satisfied diner.
Next time I am in the neighborhood I will be stopping by for some Japanese food.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Very good food with nice tepanyaki preparation, and at convenient prices. I like the seafood as well as the steak options, rice is also quite good and service is really good.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

We went to Hayashi for lunch prior a long intercontinental trip (pretty guts, pun intended) - and it was a good experience. We ordered a wide range of rolls, and we found that the meal, prep and freshness was reasonable - but not extraordinary.

Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

We used to like this restaurant. It is not cheap but the food was good. However, last time we ordered carry out, which contained salad with octopus. Octopus was rotten. Unfortunately, I only realized it after I put it in my mouth. It was disgusting! I used to love octopus. I am afraid to touch it now. Of course, we'll never go to Hayashi again. Didn't expect them to serve food that is not fresh.