“Disappointing lunch”

Toshi Sushi & Grill
Ranked #50 of 147 Restaurants in Gurnee
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 17 March 2017

I could see this restaurant and its all-u-can-eat sushi window sign from my hotel, so despite some of the mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to give it a try for lunch on a Friday. There was a full menu to choose from, but opted for the sushi since you could order the pieces/items you wanted prepared fresh, directly from the sushi check-off menu. That menu included selections for salad, miso, yakitori, etc., in addition the a wide variety of sushi and rolls. It appeared to be a great lunch value for $15.95.
However, when the miso arrived it was warm (not hot) and watery--probably made from an instant mix and too much water. The salad was plain chopped iceberg lettuce with a half slice tomato and was swamped in their (not so good) Japanese-style dressing. I tried at least a dozen different types of sushi (note: you get one piece, not two, for each item you order). None were prepared with any wasabi under the fish (or on the rice) the way a proper sushi chef would, so I had to mix some into my soy sauce and dab bits onto the top of the fish to get any wasabi kick. Most of the fish pieces were the smallest and thinnest I've seen served on top of a normal sized sushi-rice bottom, but what made it even worse was the rice was WARM, and some of the fish options (the maguro, in particular) seemed dried out like they'd been sitting in the cooler uncovered for too long. Not good for sushi!
Service was prompt, but I would expect that because for most of my late lunch I was the only person there.
Bottom line is if you aren't too particular about how your sushi is prepared, you can make a good deal out of this restaurant, but it's not one I'd return to.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

I would head back right now for dinner! We went for lunch and I don't usually get the all you can eat sushi. I decided to do that today and it was fantastic! Always quality ingredients, always great service! Chicken Fried rice was a bit greasy' and the salad a bit watery but I wasn't going to complain about that, it was petty.

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Food and service were both good, but there was a VERY strong sewer smell in the restaurant. I asked the waitress about it and she acted like I was crazy. Will not go back.

Reviewed 4 August 2016

I used to go in here all the time. No more! The last time I went, my companion ordered beef fried rice. We complained to the server and manager that there was hardly any beef in the "beef fried rice." A speck here and there but not enough to make it really beef fried rice. Instead of taking care of our complaint, they insisted that's how they make it. I was very embarrassed over the restaurant's position and
will not go back there.

Reviewed 8 April 2016

Unlike other reviewers I have not noticed a change in quality in the 3 years I've been eating here. Granted I strictly come for lunch as the $14.95 ($19.95 for dinner) all you can that eat keeps me and my friends happy, healthy and full. There may be better places, and I would certainly agree that top shelf places abound in north lake county but I come back for the value at a respectable quality.