“Recurring Visit to Northern IL” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
San Jose, California
“Recurring Visit to Northern IL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Just wanted to take a minute to offer my compliments to the management and staff of the well maintained, comfortable, and very reasonably priced hotel next to a Six Flags theme park. With both national chain and local family restaurants; department, pharmacy,hardware, and grocery store chains; movie theaters; and a variety of public golf courses surrounding the Gurnee Mills and Vernon Hill malls, this hotel makes life easy for a frequent visitor to northern Illinois with easy access to both Chicago and Milwaukee. Its staff is friendly, professional, and easy to work with both in person and via phone, In particular, a new member of the staff (Nicky) is always courteous in her offers of help and very intelligent in her proposed solutions to problems while simply being a beautiful and optimistic young lady.

Room Tip: Rooms either facing Six Flags or the apartment houses behind the hotel are all quiet and offer more...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank FrequentVisitor95120
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

We thank you for your review and comment and we will make certain to pass the same to Nicky, we are hoping to serve you better during your next visit.

Jeshal Sheth
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Munster, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed here while visiting Six Flags. I'm always a little worried when I find a great deal on a hotel (when I booked this was the cheapest available in the area) but rooms were clean, customer service was very friendly. Location was very convenient, plenty of restaurants nearby and before we checked in we parked here and walked to Six Flags in 5 minutes (well we walked to the entrance in 5, another 5 to cross the parking lot to the gate)...but when we checked in the front desk informed me they have a free shuttle that runs all day that will take you anywhere within a 7 mile radius. I was told it ran every hour but would make a run whenever need be if I needed to go anywhere. I don't know why they don't advertise that but it was a great bonus. Continental breakfast was decent (eggs, waffles, bagels, toast, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal).

The only thing I was disappointed in was that the hot tub was non operational and the very small pool seemed a little cloudy. Also, they seem somewhat understaffed. When I called to confirm my reservation the girl who answered told me she was 'away from her desk' and I would have to call back in a few minutes. I thought that was weird, I've never called a front desk to have them be 'away from the desk'. When I checked in I found out why. After waiting at a deserted front desk about 5 minutes, the attendant came rushing up apologizing for my wait (and pulled a cordless phone from her pocket). It seemed she was responsible for much more than just the front desk. She was very accommodating though and even came outside to help when she saw me struggling with my luggage.

Bottom line, I will stay here again and recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie D
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear Madam,

We thank you for your detailed review and I am certain we can make your experience flawless during the next visit.

We are currently fully staffed, however there are times, when our front desk do need to take a break for guest concerns, such as addressing guest requests, baking fresh cookies, pouring hot coffee and more. Also we typically do have 2 agents staffed at the front desk, one for the in house needs and the other for the shuttle service.

However, I do apologize if it seemed the other way.

Magna, UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

My overall experience was very good here. The location was convenient, close to places to eat, near a mall and other needed retail outlets. The room was clean, in good repair and everything worked as it should. I was greeted at the front desk by a young man named Jun who was very helpful and knowledgeable. No problems with my reservation.
Breakfast was provided and was adequate. I think instant oatmeal with hot water available would have been better than the pot of oatmeal provided. It appeared to have been there a while. I stayed there during a slow time for the tourist trade in the area so not many people used the breakfast area. Not a show stopper.
One problem that came up was that my room had been scheduled for some maintenance work while I was staying there. I was asked to move to a different room and offered an upgraded room up one floor in the process. I ended up taking a room on the same floor that was a minor upgrade from my original room. It was a bit of a hassle to move everything and considering how far in advance my reservation had been made, I was surprised at this conflict. The management on duty was very apologetic and helpful. Again, not a show stopper.
I'll be returning to the area some time this summer, again on business, and I wouldn't hesitate staying there again.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and down the hall from the elevator. I never noticed any excessive noise a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CountryInn G, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Sir Madam,

We thank you for taking time to write a review. We hope we can serve you better in the future and exceed all your expectations.

NE WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have stayed here several times and have enjoyed our stays.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GurneeHotels, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for staying with us during your last visit. We hope to serve you in the future. During your next stay do ask for our newly remodeled rooms with the flat screen televisions and new bedding.

Zeeland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

I was not impressed with this hotel. The front desk staff was borderline rude and not overly helpful. I had booked a room thru Priceline at a 'name your own price' when I booked the room, I called as per Priceline's suggestion and asked to have a double. To which the front desk person said fine, as long as they have them available. Imagine my surprise when I checked in that in order to get a room w/ a double I would be charged an addtional $15!!! Never in my many times of booking thru PL and naming my price have I been charged an addtional charge for wanting doubles!!!!!!

As we went to check out the following morning, they would not print me a receipt!!!! They informed me that since I booked thru PL I would receive my receipt thru the mail!!!! WHAT??? I am nervously awaiting my receipt to come. If I have ANY additional charges I will be disputing them!!!

The hotel was close to everything, outlet malls, Great America. But, not someplace I would want to stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are away from the road & parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MidlaneHawthorn, Director of Sales at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gurnee, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

I apologize for your inconvenience during your last visit. We can assure you that the front desk will be accomodating and helpful to you. However, with name your price reservations, you are always booking a standard (run of the house) room. Having said that if you need a room with 2 doubles, there is a minor upgrade fee. I apologize for the upgrade fee not being to your content.

With regards to the reciept the front desk should have given you a zero balance reciept showing you were not charged from the hotel for any incidentals. I once again apologize for the same and I would request you to provide me with your email address to send you the same for your complete satisfaction.

Please do let me know if I may have missed addressing any of your concerns.

Director Of Sales