“Love this place!”

Mama K's Pizza and Grille
Ranked #8 of 146 Restaurants in Gurnee
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We have eaten here quite a bit over the past few years and have always had great food. Go here after Great America for a great meal instead of spending a ton of money for a less than stellar meal in the park!
The gyros are great!!! Especially the chicken ones. Fries are awesome. And the frozen yogurt is better than anyone else’s by far (it’s the old TCBY yogurt).
The owner is very pleasant as well as the rest of the help.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

Last night I had just finished another workout at FitNation and I was hungry for something fast and healthy. There was nothing exciting in the house, so I reluctantly slunk over to McDonald's for a sweet chili grilled chicken wrap and a grilled chicken Asian salad. "We took those off the menu," said the counter attendant standing beneath a banner titled "Now serving breakfast all day." Something's gotta give, I guess. So they sacrificed health for the hangover crowd? Harumph.

Between McDonald's and my house are few choices at 8:30PM on a weeknight. I almost considered Burger King for one of those Halloween Whoppers with the black bun, but I couldn't bring myself to completely subvert my exercise effort for a few luscious bites of carbs and fat.

I remembered that Mama K's was owned in the same family as my other local favorite, Captain Porky's in Wadsworth, so I thought I'd give it a try. This place looks like nothing on the outside. It's a hole in the wall gyros and pizza place, ostensibly. Why, however, were all of the tables filled with people eating or waiting for their to go orders 30 minutes before closing? This IS Gurnee, right? In this neighborhood, restaurants go dead at 7:30PM when everybody rushes home to watch NCIS.

There was one guy behind the counter and a couple in the kitchen. Before me in line was a family ordering frozen yogurt with some crazy customized mixture of toppings. The first one ordered pumpkin, and the next one ordered creamy mint. Pumpkin yogurt? That sounded good. Then I understood that they make their froyo mix on premises, and they're known for them. When the fourth person in the group asked for a banana split, I was starting to get hangry. Umm, can I just get my wrap and go?

Before I could fall over with low blood sugar, a giant friendly guy came out from the kitchen to take my order.

The menu has a lot to offer, and at first glance isn't particularly different than any other diner: chicken fingers, burgers, cheese sticks, pizza and gyros. Upon closer inspection, however, I noticed a stronger Greek vein running through their options, and there were quite a few non-traditional options. Bison burger? Yup! Cuban sandwich special? Yes, indeed.

I opted for a Mediterranean wrap after trying to decide between the Greek salad wrap and the grilled chicken pesto wrap. Any of the sandwiches, burgers or wraps give you a choice of fries, salad or soup. I had my eye on the soup of the day, spinach rice, so I chose that as my side. The potato salad sounded good as well. "I'm here to stay away from danger food," I thought to myself. The wrap came out quickly with the soup. With a tomato base, the homemade soup was heavenly. It was so tasty, I uttered, "This is delicious!" out loud. The couple next to me said that they were curious about the soup but chose that tempting potato salad instead for their side.

Their pizza looked great as did their delicious glob of eggy, mayonaise-rich potato salad. I was studying the menu and looked at some very interesting looking ingredient combinations on their specialty pizzas. A couple of them were named for people. One that caught my eye was the Greekza with feta, olives and chicken.

More and more people just kept filing into the place, even though the time was now approaching closing at 9PM. Hotdogs, frozen yogurt, pizzas to go were the most common choices. At this point I couldn't stand it. The potato salad's siren song was too strong. It beckoned me back to order a side of it to accompany my very tasty wrap. Practically inhaled, that yummy salad made traditionally with hard boiled eggs and onion benefited from some more black pepper.

It was now after 9PM and the food was so good, I thought that I had better bring something home for my better half. I got a Greek salad wrap to go and another cup of that amazing soup. The counter guy didn't bat an eye. He just smiled and took my order and $9 and brought back the food within two minutes. Tummy full and doggy bag in hand, I left.

Now I know why this place is so highly rated. It's all made there. It has a family imprint on it. They care about the product and the service, and it shows.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

Hearty portions of chicken and overall large wrap, especially for the price. In the past I’ve had their chili which was seasoned well and a tuna melt. French fried were as good as they come.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We ordered a large thin crust supreme to be delivered to our hotel. It was very hot and absolutely wonderful!!!

Will order again!

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

The food is affordable and really delicious. The family had a large thin crust pizza and I had a Calzone. They said the pizza was really good. The calzone was one of the best I ever had. First of all, it was big. Then it was filled with tons of savory pepperoni and cheese. It was life-changing. Lol. No but it was superb to say the least. Great location right down the road from Six Flags in Gurnee, IL. A must for the family.