“The total package”

Barrel + Rye
Ranked #11 of 156 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 9 November 2017

It's a great place for lunch or dinner. The food is very good and their bar is great. This restaurant only has 2 tables that are not high top. You need to get their early if you want a seat restaurant is small.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

We decided to visit this restaurant after hearing people saying positive things about it. It was a last minute decision but went with it anyway after checking the restaurant website to attempt a reservation where it clearly states they do not take them. When we arrived around 6:30pm on a Saturday night, we approached the hostess at the door and were told that it would be about an hour wait. We gave them our name and cell phone number and then went back outside to wait as the vestibule is tight quarters. While waiting for our table, many people entered and encountered the same as us. After a few minutes, I noticed that the hostess came outside occasionally and spoke on the phone. She was taking names/phone numbers and adding those on the phone to the wait list. I understand that is not a "reservation" per se, but had I known I would have called from home and asked the wait time and added my name to avoid standing outside in rainy weather for my table. So, that is not clear and I think you have to decide whether you hold tables or not (calling it a reservation vs. hold). It is not a large space. More bar space than anything. We ended up waiting approximately 40 minutes out of the 60 and were seated at a high top about four tables in from the door. There were people standing "at the bar" as there were no seats available anywhere and I could barely get to my table and chair with them in the way. Would not move and they were standing at our table once drinks and cheese curds were served. Not an optimal situation as they were in the way of servers and other patrons, not to mention invading my space which I don't like. The brie cheese curds with apricot hot pepper jam were delicious as were our bourbon Manhattan cocktails. Entrees for the table were a great burger, chicken shawarma and charcuterie plate. Everything was very good and we would like to return. Service seems a bit wonky but our server was knowledgeable and attentive, based on the crowd that evening. The hostess was also the bus person so that she could get tables open to seat people as quickly as possible. This place has a hipster vibe and the bar/bourbon is the star here.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Came for lunch and a bourbon.
An excellent place to come and just sit watching the world go by.
Had a great cheese burger with mushrooms and a Makers Mark.

Perfect

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Decided to try this place tonight because it was ranked so well and boy, were we disappointed! Very small restaurant with all high top tables except two inside and then outdoor seating. Hubby doesn't like outdoor dining, so we waited for a low top table; however, we had no idea until we were finally seated there were only two low tops total. We were told the wait would be 20 minutes and it was 45 minutes. Wish they would have told us only two tables as we would have gone somewhere else. Ordered soup as an appetizer, never came out. Dinner arrived and I said I ordered soup too. I thought she was going to get it, but it went another 10 minutes when our waitress came back and said, you didn't get your soup, do you still want it. Ahhh...no, not anymore. Our burgers were both overdone from what we ordered. Then, while we were still eating, another waitress walked up and said, can I take your plates away. ARE YOU KIDDING???? We are still eating!!! The other low top table had been done eating when we sat down and continued to visit the entire time we ordered and ate our dinner. When we asked for our check, they finally left and they wanted to give us the bum's rush out? Seriously???? Finally, as we are paying our check, a man walks up to our table and asks us if we are leaving. We both thought it was the manager and when we asked him he said...oh no, he had been waiting "forever" to eat and they were staving and he as hoping we were leaving. OMG....from beginning to this was not a good experience! Service is not good, food is average at best, and overall it was a major disappointment. The only saving grace about tonight was it was a gorgeous fall evening and I was with the one I love. We won't be back.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

Had lunch with friends. My salad was amazing, some ordered burgers which were also very good. Fast, friendly service. Great location on scenic 3rd St in Geneva.