“a great dinner”

Ranked #6 of 151 Restaurants in Geneva
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2014

I read all the reviews before going there last night. I found especially helpful the one that said to ignore all the negative reviews, so we did.

Don't let the heading "small plates" fool you. We ordered the brussels sprouts, and it was plenty for the 4 of us to share. With the entrees, you have a choice of the gumbo or a salad. We assumed that it would be a cup of gumbo. It was a full bowl of some of the best gumbo we're ever had. My husband and one of our friends raved about their choice, the jambalaya. My husband said that it was as good as any we've had in New Orleans.

If you go there, be prepared to bring home a doggie bag. Portions are large and flavorful. Although the restaurant says it is cajun cuisine, my jerk chicken sandwich was not spicy and came with a delicious sauce.

Definitely give this restaurant a try if you are looking for a different restaurant in the suburbs.

1  Thank chelsea19702014

Reviewed 15 November 2014

My husband and I dined at Patten House for dinner tonight. All i can say is LOVELY! What a beautiful atmosphere in this restored home. We had made a reservation to eat in the pub area adjacent to the bar, which only has around 6 tables. The atmosphere was lively but not too loud. I ordered the chicken andouille soup which was so delicious I am still thinking about it. For my entree i had the crab crakes, which were also excellent. My husband had the spicey shrimp served with creole rice. I sampled the rice and it had a kick, but was soooo good. For dessert we shared the gran marnier creme brulee. It is made on the premises and was creamy with just the right "torching" of sugar on top...yummy. Our server was attentive and helpful with all her suggestions. We can't wait to return. Just a real treat all the way around!

1  Thank HudsongrlChicago
Reviewed 15 November 2014

My wife and I had the unique experience of dining at The Patten House in Geneva. The menu is interesting for the area as it features dishes with a Cajun accent. My wife had two appetizers for her meal. She started off with the chicken gumbo which was amazing. Having made many trips to New Orleans, I can attest to the fact that this is as good and original as it gets. Next, she had the crab cakes with cheesy grits, also spot on and delicious. I had BBQ Shrimp and dirty rice. The shrimp were fresh, firm and slathered in a wonderfully mildly spiced sauce. The rice was filled with tasty bits of sausage and carried quite a kick. After dinner we shared a Grand Marnier infused creme brûlée, which was the perfect ending to a perfect meal. Our waitress, Cheryl, was knowledgeable and attentive. All-in-all, I would give Patten House full marks and will be sure to return very soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2014

We came upon the Patten House completely by accident during the summer, and after a quick drink at the lovely bar, made up my mind I would be back one day soon to dine. I have to admit I have probably walked past this historic home numerous times, but was totally stunned to see it had been converted to a lovely restaurant. The menu is limited and prices range from $$$ for the entrees to $$ for the sandwiches. Most of the cuisine is cajun, but food was not overly spicy. We ordered sandwiches along with a nice glass of wine and did enjoy our dining experience in the lovely historic home. SInce we came on a weeknight, the restaurant was not crowded and we were able to find parking and get a table with no trouble. Our server was very good, and we were able to take our time without feeling rushed.

I gather that this restaurant gets very busy on the weekends. If possible, I suggest dining during the weeknight. There is a small parking lot, but imagine street parking can be a problem on the weekends. Would come here again for lunch/dinner. Felt like we had stepped back in time as we dined in what I imagine was a front parlor. Nicely decorated, the owners managed to give it a much needed makeover, but still keep the historic charm.

Reviewed 29 October 2014 via mobile

Very comfortable environment to dine in. The looks are impressive - giving you the first impression this may be a "fancier" place which requires nicer attire. And if you're dressed biz casual or nicer - great. But if you're in khakis and a baseball cap - you're not out of place at all. Plenty of casual diners there.

Great beer list with seasonal offerings. Staff is very friendly. The food is kind of incredible.

If you've had Cajun food before - imagine all the flavor + beautifully prepared dishes with unique twists.
It was hard to decide what to get - I wanted everything. Every bite of food we had was impressive. Even the aioli was insane. We can't wait to go back. Even the dishes we didn't order - but passed by our table had us talking. It's that good.

And if you're not all about the Cajun spice - there's still plenty to choose from. Go. You'll have a great meal. Even the dessert list was impressive. Had the bananas foster, imagine rum + caramel + caramelized bananas with premium ice cream on top. 5 stars!

1  Thank WGN5150