All reviews milk and cookies turn down service heated floors four poster bed balcony overlooking the river whirlpool tub continental breakfast wedding night gas fireplace downtown geneva romantic weekend junior suite rooms are lovely chocolate covered strawberries across the river first floor boutique hotel
Reviewed 9 January 2017

My boyfriend and I came here for his birthday weekend.
First the good: The hotel itself is very pretty, plenty of parking, the room was large and had a big fireplace (gas) and looked out over the Fox River. Also had a big jetted tub and heated fllors in the bathroom, as well as a very high-quality mattress- all nice touches. The downside, however, was that the 90-minute couples massage we got was a massive disappointment, very overpriced, and neither therapist had any clue what she was doing. I'm guessing the therapists were just out of school. We both asked for deep tissue massages and what we got were very basic swedish massages- incredibly disappointing. Almost no pressure even though we specifically asked and literally didn't touch our lower back or hip area (the largest muscle group- hello!). Then we went to the restaurant for dinner. Very overpriced, extremely loud space, and the menu was so contrived we were laughing out loud. Literally every dish had some kind of sweet sauce, the different foods didnt go together at all, the menu was very overthought and pretentious, and the quality of food was just awful- my ceasar salad was right out of a sysco bag. It all tasted like wedding food-bland ingredients that were oversauced. I will give the restaurant service props for being very good, though. I'd say if you're going to spend this kind of money, go to an experienced massage therapist and a reputable restaurant in downtown Chicago, and give this exurb a miss.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
logwes, General Manager at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your spa treatments and your dinner.

I have shared your comments with our spa director and our executive chef and they have taken your constructive criticism the right way and are always looking for ways to make improvements.

I hope you will consider returning.

Paul Ruby, GM

Reviewed 7 January 2017

First stay was over the Christmas holidays and the staff were warm and welcoming. The atmosphere was inviting and elegant and this is true of the room but also the lobby area. The breakfast included in the price was very good - hard boiled eggs, plenty of pastry and fruits and cheeses and delectable thin sliced European meats. I am a picky coffee drinker but even the coffee was good and hot. Fireplaces add a nice touch too. We also ventured into the dining room, Atwaters and the food is 5 star. You cannot go wrong at this historic dining room. The staff must be mentioned again as almost everyone seemed to want to help and seemed to like their jobs very much. Their turn down service includes.....drum roll....warm cookies and milk, presented nicely. There was a billing glitch but it was straightened out as soon as it was brought to their attention. This is now my go-to Inn while in the area. Highly recommend. Any inquiries just ask for Shane!

Room tip: River Premier Room overlooking the Fox River Bathroom has heated marble floors!
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank traderchick
Jesse M, Manager at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2017

Dear traderchick,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Herrington Inn and for taking the time to share your feedback. We take great pride in our customer service and are pleased to learn we exceeded your expectations. It is wonderful to read that you had such a pleasant stay at the hotel!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Jesse

Reviewed 4 January 2017

I chose the Herrington because of it's proximity to the Fox River Bike trails. It is on the river and you can safely access the trail in 5 minutes or less. They gave me no trouble about keeping my bike in my room. The property was very nice. Clean and well kept. The room was pleasant and warm. It even had a gas fireplace which was started by flipping a switch. The staff were exceedingly polite and helped me with directions and dining options off premise. Within walking distance are any number of pubs with excellent beer selections (a must for tired cyclists). will stay there again on my next visit to Illinois.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Ervin W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay was at the hotel. As you mentioned, the Fox River Bike Trails are just across the bridge and offer over 40 miles of trail from Aurora to Algonquin. It's a great ride and if you don't bring your bike next time you can always rent one nearby.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Illinois!

Jesse

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay for a wedding on New years eve. While the venue is beautiful, I have never had such an awful shower in a supposed luxury hotel. The water temperature vacillated between scalding and freezing - taking a shower was either dangerous or very uncomfortable. The front desk didn't seem very concerned, just would have maintenance check it out. Never happened during our stay.
Our room was in a hallway just past the bar and restaurant area and it was VERY noisy. From the noise of the staff to the patrons walking down the hall while talking on the phone at all hours made sleeping and relaxing an elusive concept. I have traveled many times and stayed in better accommodations at a much less expensive price.
I would not stay here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Susan G

Dear Susan G,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with the water temperature in your shower. Please be assured we take your feedback seriously, as it is an opportunity to make improvements. I have personally addressed your concerns, and will work towards the areas needing further improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Jesse Mercado

Reviewed 11 December 2016

We spend one night for my husband's 70th birthday. The room was very lovely, exceptionally clean. Very quiet - never heard any noise but it was a Wednesday - in late November. The jacquzzi was the best. Plenty of hot water. The bed was so comfortable and the pillows were feather. We would definitely go back and highly recommend it. The cold breakfast was fine. We decided to eat at a breakfast spot close by - can't remember the name but very good. The Staff were polite and courteous.

Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear lindak07,

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay at the Herrington Inn & Spa! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay for your husbands 70th birthday!

We do hope to welcome you back to the Herrington Inn soon!

Kind regards,