As odd as it might sound, my husband & I live in Geneva but once a year, we sneak away to The Herrington to “get away.” Our small little town has so much to offer & every now and then it’s nice to put our day to day responsibilities aside and just enjoy Geneva as a tourist would.
There is so much to love about the Herrington. It oozes charm from the minute you walk into the lobby. The staff is exceptionally friendly (if you’ve never been to Geneva, it’s one of the town’s best features. Almost everyone is friendly!) The Inn has a restaurant located just off the lobby – Atwoods. It is a little pricier than most restaurants in Geneva but the view is lovely. When you make reservations, ask to sit near the windows that overlook the Fox River. The Inn also has a small spa. If visiting between May-October, be sure to book your appointment early as they can fill up on a busy weekend.
As for the rooms, I highly recommend booking a River Premier room, as the extra amenities, which I’ll get into in a minute, are worth the extra money. Unfortunately, none were available when my husband & I last visited and I was very disappointed. It was not the experience I was used to, and quite frankly, I’d expect more for what I paid. But that aside, let me tell you what you’ll love about the Herrington, regardless of which room you stay in. The rooms are very private and quiet. Our room overlooked the courtyard, which is a nice view. It also had a fireplace, which is always a nice “extra” to have. The bathroom has marble floors, a luxurious soaking tub and a separate, glass shower. Turn down service usually arrives between 5:30-8:30, where spa-quality robes and fluffy slippers are put out and a plate of cookies, accompanied by cold (real glass) bottles of milk on ice, is left waiting for you. What a treat! There is also a very simple (cereal, fruit, a few pastries & coffee) continental breakfast in the lobby.
Now why I was disappointed…as I mentioned, our last stay had us in a lovely room overlooking the Fox River. It was larger in square footage – both the room and the bathroom. The bathroom was truly exquisite – spacious with heated marble floors. The bath, in my memory, was also bigger than the one in the courtyard room. Because the room was bigger, we were able to lay in bed and watch the fireplace. In the courtyard room, the bed was so close to the fireplace, we weren’t able to see it/enjoy it. There is no other seating option for two in the room, so it was almost a wasted feature and I REALLY missed the heated floor in the bathroom. At a rate of $239+tax ($265 total!), I’d expect all of the rooms to be comfy, cozy, sanctuaries. This one was nice, but overpriced for a fairly standard hotel room. At that rate, we could have gone to Chicago and stayed at a boutique hotel.
With all of that said, I do highly recommend a River Premier room at The Herrington. It is an absolutely darling inn, albeit overpriced. Geneva is a charming little town, with great food, lots of shopping & some of the friendliest people you’ll have the pleasure of meeting. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- AAA Four Diamond boutique hotel, spa, and restaurant in the Chicago suburb of Geneva, IL. Voted one of Illinois best spa hotels and located on the waterfront, each room offers a large whirlpool tub, fireplace, and furnished balcony. We are perfect for storybook weddings, corporate meetings, romantic getaways, fine dining, and relaxing in the best day spa in Geneva. Within walking distance to the Metra Train line to Chicago's Loop, and running/biking path. Evening turn down service staff deliver chilled milk and fresh baked cookies to all overnight guests. Each morning guests enjoy a complimentary European-style continental breakfast buffet served in our grand lobby. Also complimentary: wireless internet access and plenty of onsite parking. Just across from the hotel is the Fox River Trail, available year round for waterfront running or biking. Hotel is within walking distance to over 100 shops, galleries, restaurants, and pubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your The Herrington Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Herrington Inn And Spa
- The Herrington Hotel Geneva
- Herrington Hotel Geneva
- Herrington Geneva