“worth the time to visit this place”
Review of Coney Island

Coney Island
Ranked #10 of 101 Restaurants in Galesburg
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Family owned and operated. Several family members invovled. neat retro decor. coney dogs, chicago dogs and a lot of other choices

Reviewed 18 June 2018

They still have the best coney-dogs around! And, the baked beans, slaw, and mac 'n cheese are great. If you are not into the dogs, their chicken salad sandwich is also very good. A big part of the experience is taking in the retro vibe w/ original old counter & walls, antique items on the walls, old juke box, and pin-ball machines which are free to use. A Galesburg icon that I am glad remains open and a must-see for out of town visitors.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Basic American Food. Hot Dogs anyway you can think of. Potato salad. Atmosphere and dining décor with history. A must go experience.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Excellent hot dogs, excellent potato salad, excellent mac and cheese. Loved the decor and the seating options. Perfect little spot!

Reviewed 22 February 2018

So, I am driving around downtown Galesburg, and accidentally pull down the wrong street. What a blessing that was, because there I see the black and white striped awning declaring coney dogs within. I say to myself, "Self, What in the world are Coney Dogs doing away from NYC, and hiding on this back street of downtown Galesburg?" So, I found myself stopping in skepticism.

I walked in, and saw the plaque by the door proclaiming this place as the oldest restaurant in Galesburg, having been open since 1921. As I walk in, I see the place probably hasn't changed much since then. It's filled with an antiquated, perhaps old-fangled is a better descriptor diner style lunch counter, and decor that lend a great sense of charm. It was like taking a walk into the past.

The menu has many dogs to choose from, but I came in for the Coney, and added a Chicago Style. The server wasn't that animated, and seemed quite flat, but he was polite and friendly as he took my order. He them proceeded to sort through the dogs and buns to make sure that I was served the best of those that were there. The buns were pulled from a steamer which kept them warm and kept them supple but not soggy.

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry, and couldn't stay and eat there. I would have loved to peruse the decor, and see what the pictures were at each of the tables, and behind the counter. The dogs were wonderful much to my suprise, and had me reminiscing about the days I lived in Chicago, and those in which I would visit New York.