“A Must Experience Visit with Doggies” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tierra Linda Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Tierra Linda Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“A Must Experience Visit with Doggies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

I feel so guilty that I didn't write this sooner....life gets in the way so quickly. That's exactly what doesn't happen at TierraLinda Bed and Breakfast. Nothing happens there......and Armando works very hard at making sure no one has to do anything, other than eat, drink, sleep and play with the dogs. Even the dogs are in a fairy tale world for the period of time the experience TierraLinda. Armando is caretaker, caregiver, dogsitter, dog lover and chef. He will do as little or as much as anyone could possibly need. He's entertaining, kind, clean, energetic, laid back and most important.....he loves dogs and nature. He's very modest about his artisitc and unique life but you can get him to talk about it if you like to pry. Everything about Tierra Linda is about love, relaxation, friendship, dogs and nature.
This is not for the person that wants a Ritz Carlton experience, but more for the person or family that is looking to reconnect with their inner self and that of their pets, friends, anyone they are with on this trip. It's a beautiful scenic getaway from our fast paced existence into a slow, deliberate and unforgetable home away from home for all to enjoy. Your dogs will never have a dull moment, from romping in the sands, water and fields filled with all of nature's creatures....to lapping up the daily homemade chunky chicken soup ala Armando....or dig for bones from their barbequed beef ribs from the night before also compliments of Armando. I had three dogs and our friends had their two dogs...and we lived as one big happy family for that magical weekend. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK! We miss you Armando! - Esther, Ed, Yoda, Yoshi and BB...

• Liked — The solitude
  • Disliked — That it's not closer to my home
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2008

Are you bothered by the every day mundane life? Commute to work in traffic, long hours at work and head back. Are you caught in this cycle, day in day out and want a change? Of course most of us could not afford to make a drastic change in life style with bills to pay and promises to keep, but at least do you want a break for a few days?

Try staying in Tierra Linda. This place is magic. It creates a time warp and makes you understand the real meaning of existence. There is nature around you; you do not hear the cars but the birds chirping. The trails are wonderful to walk around even in November. There is a beautiful beach. There are lots of flora and fauna that you can take your time to enjoy.

The inn is well kept and the rooms are neat. The shower is so refreshing. There is a living room with an old world fire place which makes for a great setting in the evenings.

Here is the best part, the inn master Armando is actually a Zen master! Everyday he makes a great breakfast and gives you a great company. I am a vegetarian and he went out of his way to make me comfortable. His knowledge is breath taking, I would say my best moment in the inn was discussing with him during breakfast and over a glass of wine (which he offers so generously). I learnt a whole lot from him. He enjoys every small thing that life has to offer. For instance instead of buying already cracked open nut, buy nuts and then take your time to crack them open. I was amazed that he knew so much about Technology as well. The best bang for your buck is to interact with him and learn a few things from him to take back with you.

This is also the best pet friendly inn I have known. My dog was treated like a king. There was no leash and everyday Armando makes an awesome chicken soup for the dogs. He also made a barbecue for the dogs one day. Oh, one last thing, make sure he makes you Guacamole!

• Liked — The company of Aramando and the nature
  • Disliked — Less time, felt like leaving a family member
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

My parents decided to take me on my first Vacation! Let me tell you i had the best time. First of all Armando completely spoiled me. He made me the best chicken soup ever. He also made the best eggs for my mom and dad!! I basically was able to do whatever i wanted and loved every minute of it. I was able to run all over the place and never worry about a thing. I was so exhausted by the end of the day but was ready by the next morning to start all over again. Thank you so much Armando for thinking of us dogs! We can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

Tierra Linda:
Three hours from Chicago. The drive alone with the hills and valleys is a treat. Of course when you get to the B&B you find yourself in an enchanted land isolated from the rest of the world. A first class uninterrupted view of beautifull Galena countryside. My wife and I went with our two dogs and friends of ours with their three dogs. Three dogs live on the premises. The dogs get homade soup, roasted beef ribs cooked on an open fire and treats galore. Armando, your host, is ecclectic, artsy and genuinely warm. He makes a fantastic breakfast. Rustic but CLEAN! Visit the town of galena which is nearby.
Summary - Magical!

• Liked — The host/owner
  • Disliked — I have no complaints
Evergreen Park, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

From the minute our host greeted us at the road until the minute Armando assisted us with our luggage on Monday morning, we had an excellent experience.
The location is beautiful (we were there during the fall color change season) and Armando and his brood of "puppies" were the charming hosts.
The grounds of Tierra Linda are there just waiting to be explored.
The breakfasts were mouth watering (especially the Morrell mushroom omelet).
Hope to return soon!

• Liked — The grounds of the B & B were extensive and quite interesting to explore
  • Disliked — The shower was in another room (that was empty)
    • 4 of 5 bubbles