“Excellent room, excellent food”
Review of Goldmoor Inn

Goldmoor Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We absolutely loved our time at the Goldmoor.

The room we stayed in, the Covington Suite, was huge, beautifully furnished, and had a gorgeous view of the Mississippi River from the gigantic hot tub. The inn looks like a country castle, especially at night: everything about it is perfectly appointed, and the decor and amenities are amazing.

Both of the brunches and the one dinner we had at the inn were wonderful -- great food and even better service. And the location, just outside of Galena, made it easy to visit town (where we had some meals and did some shopping) while still giving us the time in the country that we wanted.

Everything was perfect, and we learned that we get a 20 percent discount if we return. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the Goldmoor to celebrate my husbands birthday. On the plus side the restaurant is very good. Rooms are huge and clean. We had the Covington Suite which was large with a whirlpool tub, nice large HD TV and a good breakfast was served in the room. On the minus side, the decor of our room was right out of the 1980's. Awful carpet, wallpaper, and fixtures. Furniture is faux wood. Bathroom cabinets and very old and chipping to show the particle board underneath. The bed is soft and creaky and was not conducive to sleeping. But there would have been no sleep anyway since the place is very close to a train which runs frequently all night and blows its whistle regularly. The screen patio is a tiny unkempt space and very disappointing. We have stayed at many, many bed and breakfasts and historic Inns around the world and for the price this was the most disappointing. Perhaps other rooms in the Goldmoor are of better quality. But for $335.00 per night off season I expected much more.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

I took my girlfriend to the Goldmoor for a surprise birthday party, and a surprise it was, not just to her, but to me as well. What beauty surrounded the area!!! We stayed in the English Cottage, which far exceeded my expectations. We had our own little driveway, a beautiful view of the Mississippi River, and numerous amentities inside the cottage, including a wonderful whirlpool. We ate the first night at the Goldmoor restaurant and had the chicken and dumplings, which were to die for. I also bought her a 75-minute stone message, which they gave her at the Goldmoor. She came back looking as relaxed as I have ever seen her.

We also had the most delicious breakfasts, both of which were brought to our room and served hot. Pancakes with fresh berries drizzled over them, hickory smoked bacon, cheese strata were just a few of the many things we were provided. I am about 6'3'' and have a great appetite...these meals left me content. I CANNOT say enough about the Goldmoor, except that if you're thinking about staying there, don't think, DO. You will regret not going and will not know what you have missed. I cannot wait to go back!!! Enjoy your time there!!!

Room Tip: The English Cottage and the Irish Cottage are the best!!!
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My boyfriend and I chose the Goldmoor Inn to stay at for the weekend to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. We stayed in the the Elizabeth Suite which was an absolutely beautiful room. The bed was very comfortable and spacious, as was the entire suite. The jacuzzi tub and fireplace were great additions to our stay, as well. I liked that there was a private bathroom in our room and that there was a hair dryer and shampoo/condition/lotion provided. The room was very clean and well kept. As for the service, It was some of the friendliest service I have ever experienced during a vacation. The normal check in hours are between 4 and 6 pm, however, we were running late and our drive too longer than expected. The front desk associate I spoke with was more than happy to accomodate us at a later time and was very friendly on the phone and in person. The staff at the Goldmoor went the extra mile to provide things you wouldn't necessarily think about, too. Each day we had our ice bin refilled for us so that we could make our own cocktails or have ice for our soda, which was nice. We also had new towels and make up remover towels provided each day. I have very few complaints about my stay, but there are a few things I feel they could improve to have made my stay that much more enjoyable. First, my boyfriend and I are avid college sports fans. We had hoped that we would be able to watch our games in our room with an awesome view considering the inn had directv. The TV happened to be about 15ft away from the end of our bed and was a little outdated and small. It was an okay TV, but we ended up having to move the fireplace chairs infront of the TV to watch the big 10 championship games. Second, we stayed three nights at the Goldmoor and were very pleased with the breakfast the first two mornings. However, on the third morning, the breakfast that was going to be served was the same exact thing as the first morning's breakfast we had. I was just disappointed that there was not more of a variety considering the price and the hype about the meals there. Lastly, there were only coffee cups and small bathroom cups provided. We had just hoped there would be glasses we could pour our own drinks into. Lastly, the view from this room was nothing special. It was overlooking the parking lot. Again, very small complaints, but they would have made the trip that much more amazing.

Overall, our stay was great. The room was spacious, beautiful and well kept. The staff were extremely friendly and it was about 6 miles away from the city. It was the perfect distance to get away from the hustle bustle. We would definitely stay here again.

Over all

Room Tip: The Queen Elizabeth suite does not have a view of the river.
Reviewed 11 March 2012

So glad we chose this inn for our weekend getaway! My husband and I stayed in one of the log cabins with our dog. The log cabins are the only rooms that dogs are allowed in, and it worked out perfectly for us! Breakfast is included in the room price, and was absolutely delicious! Like a B&B, there are no menu options. You eat what the chef prepares, but you certainly won't be disappointed! The apple pancakes were melt-in-your-mouth. You can choose to have breakfast in the dining room or served to your room. The dining room overlooks the Mississippi River. We had dinner in the restaurant one evening. It was certainly 5-star! A short distance from downtown Galena, it felt like we were staying at a peaceful, serene resort away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Log cabins allow pets. Cottages have a river view.
2  Thank Bailey H