“Loved Avery B&B” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avery Guest House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Avery Guest House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Illinois
“Loved Avery B&B”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

My fiancee and I were planning our 2nd visit to Galena, 1st visit to the Annual Country Fair PLUS it happened to fall on my birthday :) so we were excited & ready for all the charms & fun of Galena. We decided to stay at a B&B for the very first time for either of us. I did lots of checking around way in advance since I knew the town would be booked pretty tight the closer to Country Fair weekend that it became. After speaking with several B&B's in Galena, I wasn't too impressed with the friendliness of the innkeepers I spoke with until I called The Avery. I spoke with Leslie DuBois (she and her husband, Craig, are the innkeepers) each time I called. She has the warmest and most inviting personality - you could just feel it even over the phone. Our room was so charming and comfortable. They had cakes / desserts, coffee & tea in the living room every evening & had it covered once it got late so it would still be there if you're a midnight snacker. Also, there is a sitting room on the second floor where all the guest rooms are where you can pick out a DVD to watch in your room, play a game of backgammon or just relax. Also in this room, there was coffee & tea set up every morning in case you wanted some before coming down to breakfast. The breakfast was good; fresh fruit, coffee, juice, eggs, english muffin, sausage, (outstanding) hash brown casserole & it was a "family style" setting where we sat with the other guests at one big dining room table. That was the only thing I would have preferred not doing as we would have liked to have individual tables but we're just a little more shy than most people lol so I'm sure most people enjoy the social aspect of dining at one big table. So if that was our only problem, then we truly didn't have one. The Avery B&B is highly recommended in our book! Leslie even gave me a nice hug after we completed the checkout procedures. I left there feeling like I just finished a lovely family visit out of town.

• Liked — The innkeepers
  • Disliked — Dining at one big table with all the other guests.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank clj05
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2005

Oh, I loved this place! Great location, the yummiest treats, the sweetest owners, the best breakfast, beautiful room! Hopefully we can always stay here. I don't think it gets any better! These owners have all the sweet little touches that make you feel special. You can tell in the rooms and bathrooms, that they just brainstorm, trying to think of creative ways to make you feel special. You will not be sorry for booking here! This was our first adventure to leave a regular hotel and see what it's like to stay in a bed and breakfast. It was Heavenly! The home itself, feels almost magical, and there's a peace about the place. On the back-to-basics side, the bed was great, good central air, water pressure was great with lots of hot water, and the room was spotless.
Because my husband was not willing to try a Bed & Breakfast, I took my sister. She loved the B&B too. I am already planning a return visit with my hubby. There's a romantic porch swing and a Gazebo. The views are very pretty. You can't go wrong here!

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank pomcoach
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2005

I visited the Avery for my 5th wedding anniversary. We had never been to a bed and breakfast but we were amazed. It was around the holidays and they had christmas trees in every room - matching the decor of the room. There were fresh cakes, coffee, cocoa and tea out everytime we left the house and returned. The morning breakfast was wonderful. The owners were very courteous and helpful. Having only met them once, every time we passed Craig on the street (he was a bell ringer), he spoke like we were old friends. I had a wonderful time - thanks for making the anniversary memorable.

• Stayed December 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California Desert, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2004

What a stunning 3-night visit in Galena, IL! Who knew this town first of all had so much to offer? And then to find an inn as outstanding as the Avery Guest House -- they still exist and in the Midwest off the beaten path!

Within a 2+ hours drive of Chicago, Dubuque or Madison airports, Galena's charm is well worth the visit. The Avery Guest House inn is located in a lovely neighborhood just off the main downtown so it is quiet at nights but close to everything. The historic building (originally the home of leading community figures and a Civil War hero) is intriguing; each guest room has its own personality just as it must have 100+ years ago when first occupied.

The Avery Guest House staff/owners were delightful, helpful, and tastefully unobtrusive and sensitive to our privacy. Great breaksfasts and evening sherry, wine, and 'treats' [more than cheese!] were generously offered in the parlor. It was just a serene visit; we extended our stay another night it was so hard to leave! (Our stay was in August 2003.) We will return to the Avery Guest House. (After writing this line I called them; yes, we're returning for the Fall foliage 2004!)

There are many historic B&B's to choose from in Galena, but none can surpass the architecture, the intimacy (<6 guest rooms), the spaciousness of the quarters, the quiet, the culinary treats, and the sincere hospitality that the Avery Guest House provides. It is the gem of undiscovered great American getaways and at a great value.

8 Thank ScribelifeSFO
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2002

For those wanting a lovely home to stay in while checking out the sights of Galena, look no further than the Avery House Bed and Breakfast. The Avery House has been lovingly restored and the rooms are very pleasant, clean and peaceful. The beds are heavenly - truly a godsend for weary travelers! Leslie and Craig DuBois are marvelous hosts who will provide great tips on shops, restaurants and areas of interest. Breakfasts are a treat with candlelight, soft music and beautiful linens. The food is tasty and well prepared. Each evening, Leslie provides a scrumptious dessert and tea and decaf coffee. The Avery House is definitely a home away from home!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member