“Great Galena B&B!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Annie Wiggins Guest House
Ranked #21 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Cincinnati
“Great Galena B&B!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Over the years we have stayed at a variety of home rentals, B&B's, and hotels during visits to Galena. This was the first stay at Annie Wiggins and I must say, one of the best in the area and walking distance to Main Street.

Wendy and her staff are excellent and do whatever it takes to make your stay pleasant.

The room we stayed at was one of the smaller ones on the third floor, but excellent for our needs for a short stay in the summer. If we were going to stay longer or went during winter months we would have opted for one of the larger rooms with a fireplace....but it is great to have a choice!

And lastly, I am not sure if it was because I had a certain food allergy or they are great cooks, but the breakfasts were outstanding and I could eat everything (I let them know ahead of time when I booked)! Even my wife, who is a picky eater, ate everything! I would go again just for the food!

The only negative you need to be aware is that this B&B is right next to train tracks. The first night we heard nothing, the second night it rumbled by, blowing it's whistle at 3am - ugh!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CinciJeff
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Bartlett, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I'm so glad we booked our Getaway early because these beautiful rooms were all booked when we arrived last weekend. We stayed in Hattie's Room. We loved our view of the courtyard and all the "nooks and cranies" were charming to say the least. It was beautiful and the fireplace kept us "toasty" at night. The room was fantastic, quaint, and comfortable. The location is perfect for all we needed. It is close to the wonderful downtown stores and site-seeing. The next morning was started with a wonderful breakfast with coffee, tea, juice and all this served in a charming dining room (there were 2) .
I'm looking forward to our next experience soon.
Thank you for your Hospitality!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I planned a romantic getaway - our first time to Galena.

We stayed at the Annie Wiggins guest home - in the Hattie room. It was lovely and all that we wanted. It was charming and old - yet updated, and we felt right at home!

We were met by Wendy (the owner and did not know it) and she escorted us to our room and told us what to expect and where things were. And to call if we needed anything. We called an hour later and she was right there!

The Soaking tub was amazing - and the room ws so cozy. We loved it.

The home is adorable also - and we learned the history at the breakfast that she provided. After serving us all , she joined us at the table and shared stories of the home as well as just talking to us. We sat at the table and talked for over an hour laughing away.

We came in the winter - and although the weather was better than expected - we can't wait until the spring-summer or fall so we can see the flowers, the fountain, and sit on the porch with a glass of wine.

It really is a charming Inn - if you are looking for the Ritz Carlton - you may be disappointed - but if you would like to have a quiet - peaceful - romantic stay, where the owner treats you like a guest in her home, this is the place. We can''t wait to come back! It was a wonderful stay that we really needed.

As far as the one comment on the train - barely heard it at 5:30 am and if we did - it was a nice sound to imagine what it was like back in the day to hear the train.

Keith & Roseann

Room Tip: Get a room with an outside entrance and porch - if you want to enjoy the out side and relax
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank knudsonstudios
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed in the Sarah room. It was romantic and private. It has a large bathtub, which was not noted on the website, but I thought was extra value for the money. The owners are friendly without being in your face. Breakfast was delicious. My only criticism was the train! Ofcourse, there is nothing to be done due to location, but I was awakened at 2am to blaring horns and a long procession of freight cars passing nearby. It was difficult to get back to sleep!

• Stayed February 2012
bheiken, Owner at Annie Wiggins Guest House, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
The train goes along the Galena River next to downtown, so all properties within a short walking distance are within the influence of the train.
Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Annie Wiggins for a lovely Fall weekend. We were greeted by Sue the innkeeper and given a short tour and then shown to our room. The room was comfortable and clean. The soaking tub was very nice. There is complimentary iced tea and lemonade at all times, as well as brandy if desired. We loved the view of Galena from the front porch. It is only a moderate walk to the downtown area. My husband and I have stayed at a handful of B&Bs in Galena. This one wasn't my favorite, but I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple