“Bed & Bupkis”
Review of Main Street Inn

Main Street Inn
Ranked #16 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Situated at the south end of Galena's commercial district, the hotel preempts the need for a car, which can be a liability in Galena. On the other hand, getting to Galena is almost impossible without wheels. The steep, 19-step stairway leading from the ground floor to the accommodations precludes stays by the elderly and infirmed. The hotel's requirement for a check-in time is a head-scratcher: we left a message on an answering machine while en route, but no one was around when we arrived, and another call to the inn's phone number was again answered by the machine.

While it is listed and bills itself as a B&B, it's a mystery what the second B stands for. The inn's website promoted a second-night discount for mid-week stays. The first morning, my wife inquired about the continental breakfast. "Oh, you got the discount," she was told. "You don't get a breakfast." Talk about petty. Presumably, a deeper discount would have meant no clean sheets.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BudadalurBoy
MainStInnGalena, Owner at Main Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

I want to thank you for your feedback as its important for us to learn how we can improve stays for future guests. While our website that was used to book your stay goes over our policies and ammenities, your feedback is making us think about how we can call this further to light.

Simply to address your concerns and provide awareness for others that may view your comments:

We are not a B&B. Due to our size, we often times we get "lumped" into B&B listings on external websites, but we do not market ourselves as a B&B. We are an Inn that goes a little further for customers on weekends by putting out a free continental breakfast made up of fresh pasteries from local bakeries, fruit, juice, coffee, etc.

To your note on checking-in, we offer check-in by appointment. With us being a small, family run Inn, we don't typically station someone at the front desk. We ask for an appointment time to ensure we are ready and waiting for you when you arrive so we can offer a tour and help with luggage. Running late is not a problem, as it allowed us to dig into a project away from the front desk. I appoligize that we missed your phone call as that should not happen.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Main Street Inn

Reviewed 7 October 2011

My sister-in-law and I enjoyed a great fall weekend in Galena. The Main Street Inn is smack dab in the middle of town, so once we parked on Friday night, we didn't need the car again until we left town on Sunday. It's an older, storefront kind of building; beware of the 15-20 steep steps that lead to the rooms upstairs, and plan your comings and goings (ups and downs) accordingly. We were in the Garden Room - two double beds - super comfy, cozy and quiet. A complimentary continental breakfast is offered each morning, and I only wish there had been more variety each day - the selections were exactly the same both mornings. There's a neat little bakery down the street that could provide something different every day. And there's also a couple of cute little restaurants open for breakfast at reasonable prices. Friday night we enjoyed a nice steak dinner down the street, and Saturday after a day of shopping and wine-tasting, we had a pizza delivered to our room. On our way out of town on Sunday we took a detour to Hanover, IL and found the Rocky Waters Winery - a hidden gem and well worth the trip! Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Main Street Inn and we may make this an annual adventure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank HandyAndi53
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We got into a very busy downtown Galena on a Saturday not realizing how hard it is to park there. We ended up paying the real estate co. next to the inn $5 for a parking spot so we could check in. That hassle aside, we rang the owner, who efficiently checked us in for our 2 night stay. The owners are around, but definitely stay out of your way unless you ring them. The day we left they put out a breakfast the night before, since we were the sole guests, which was much appreciated. The room we stayed in was roomy enough and clean with a modern bath. The breakfast was basic, but good with fruit and yogurt too. We loved the location, which allowed us to cruise the main shopping area, but also walk to the U.S. Grant home. Galena is a charming town for a short stay and I'm glad we went and I'm happy with the Main St. Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My room was nice, and I ended up with a large room with two queen beds for just myself. The downside of this inn to me was that when I called to make reservations, no one mentioned and I didn't see prominently on the website that children are not allowed. I ended up leaving my daughter with my husband and going to the wedding alone, but if I hadn't done that we would have been stuck, because all the hotels were full for the weekend because of a wine festival.

Another issue I had was that the armoire felt like it was going to collapse every time I opened it. This was a functional armoire, the only closet in the room.

Other than those two issues, the location is great, very clean, bathrooms in great condition, and continental breakfast was good and it was nice not having to eat a formal breakfast with other people at the B&B.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SauerPauer
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The Main Street Inn was just like the pictures you view on their website. You get what you see. We stayed in the Garden Room, which contained 2 queen size beds and our own private bathroom. It was beautifully decorated. I love B&Bs but my husband does not so this was a great compromise. It was like staying in a B&B but much more private. It is in the heart of Galena and within walking distance to all of the shops & restaurants. We would recommend this inn to anyone visiting Galena and would definitely stay there again! All rooms are upstairs so you must be able to climb stairs.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple