All reviews zip line alpine slide mississippi river soaring eagle segway tour older reviews summer activities breakfast buffet fall colors beds were comfortable beautiful area pool and hot tub off the beaten path long weekend girls weekend great weekend skiing
Reviewed 27 August 2018

This resort has a lot to offer. On site dining, bar, wedding venue,pool, game room, ski resort and more. However, it is quite dated (the rooms are OK). There's a musty smell throughout the entire resort. Overwhelming smell of mold coming from the AC unit in the room. The room itself was clean but small. The food was decent enough. The check in desk was quick and informative. There's no elevator in this resort and rooms go to the 4th floor, so be careful when booking. Kids would be entertained here for sure. I see this as a family resort. I would suggest "couples" look elsewhere.

Room Tip: You have to pay extra for a room viewing the river.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

This is the second time I've been here. The staff are welcoming and helpful! My family truly enjoyed the Alpine Slide. The view is phenomenal. We will be going back for another ride! The price is average.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Beautiful place with tons of activities for kids.
Big swimming pool, affordable restaurants and view from our window- amazing.
I definitely recommend the place for everybody, families with kids , solo travelers or couples .
Evening cruise on Mississippi River is also very nice.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were vacationing in Galena. We had finished a stay at a bed and breakfast, but wanted to extend our vacation another day. We found a cheap rate for Chestnut Mountain on Trip Advisor. We booked the room, paid for it and expected to simply check in, get keys and enjoy our stay. When we arrived, we found the process to be different than we expected. The front desk clerk noted that I had fully paid, through hotels.com, which partners with Trip Advisor. She then asked for my ID and debit card. She told me that she needed to authorize my debit card for $125 and that this was for incidental charges. I've seen hotels keep a card on file, in case you incur any charges. I've also seen hotels change you a small percentage of your room rate for incidental charges and you get that money back if no charges are made. I have never seen such a high incidental charge. My room rate was $79.00 and the desk clerk wanted to authorize my debit card for an additional $125 for incidentals! What hotel puts that much on a card for things that might be bought or room damage that might happen? None that We've ever stayed at. I objected to the $125. The desk clerk agreed not to charge my card and said she would just keep it on file in case charges were made. I left the desk disappointed with the check in process, and that feeling didn't get any better. When we got to the room, we saw how tiny and outdated the bathroom was. The shower had no liner, just a flimsy curtain. The tv took a few seconds to switch channels and some channels were fuzzy. That's what you get for using Direct TV. The wifi was good in the restaurant but terrible in our room. We slept, checked out early and were happy to be leaving.
As we traveled home, I got an email from Chesnut Mountain, asking me to call them and talk to them about the issues we had during our stay. Most people would ignore that email and just move on but I wanted to clarify the incidental charge policy. If the front desk agent was right, then I would know for the future and would choose not to stay at Chesnut Mountain. If she was wrong, then management needed to know so they could correct the situation. So I took the time out of my busy schedule to call them.
I went over the issue with the person I was connected with. They told me I was wrong and that all the front desk does is take a card to keep on file. I explained that maybe this is the normal process but that the agent I dealt with clearly told me that she would need to authorize my debit card for $125. At this point, the employee I was speaking with asked me to stop yelling at him. I had never yelled. I'm talking time to call and address the issue and instead of apologizing for the incorrect actions of the front desk agent, I'm being accused of yelling at this employee. Really? He apologized for the accusation and blamed the fact that he thought I had yelled on his phone working incorrectly. He then proceeded to tell me that if the front desk agent had told me she would authorize my debit card for $125, then she was incorrect in doing so and that she should have simply asked for a card to keep on file. I told him that if she had simply asked for a card to keep on file I would have been fine with that. I also told him that she should have explained it that way instead of asking to authorize the card for $125. He agreed and said he would address the issue with the front desk agent.
The bottom line is that between the check in fiasco and the way the person treated me when I called back to address it, I really don't feel comfortable recommending Chestnut Mountain. We spent almost $200 in dining, room and activities during our stay and to be treated with such rudeness is uncalled for. We plan to make Galena a regular stop for a close vacation but we will never do business with Chesnut Mountain again.
One positive note to end with, the girl who worked at the gift shop, near the zip line and chair lift, was very kind. She answered several questions for us, made suggestions for activities and checked her inventory for a swim suit when my wife wanted to buy one. I didn't notice her name. Chestnut Mountain, if you're reading this, gift shop employee, a girl, black hair and glasses. Get more employees like her, and you might have a chance of having guests leave with a better impression of your resort. Maybe she could work the front desk?

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

We had a couple drinks and we went on the eagle and it was so much fun. Food was also awesome. This is a family oriented place. You will not be disappointed. We did the alpine slide and also the ski lift

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family