“Tasty Orange Chicken”
Review of Bonsai Cafe

Bonsai Cafe
Ranked #123 of 314 Restaurants in Evanston
Reviewed 20 November 2016 via mobile

Came down for the weekend from Wisconsin to visit good friends who live in Evanston. Stopped at Bonsai Cafe for dinner. Had very tasty Orange Chicken for dinner. Potstickers were okay but Crab Rangoon very good. Agree with previous review that booth was shaky near front of restaurant and cold due to proximity with front door.

Reviewed 7 July 2016

I live about a block from Bonsai Cafe, so I eat here almost once a week. The atmosphere is very nice (it's a neighborhood place), the service is always friendly, and the food is very authentic and flavorful. The price is around $10 a dish. My go to dish is the chicken Pad Thai, which they do very well. They also make great appetizers, such as tofu satay and pot stickers. My father loves the curry here-- according to him, it is the best and most authentic he's ever tried. Some other dishes I've tried aren't quite as good (like the orange chicken), but on the whole, this is one of the best Thai places I've been to.

Reviewed 25 February 2016

Visited here on a whim while driving down the street, my Wilmette hostess for the weekend had heard good things about it. Our meal exceeded all expectations - great food (mix of asian kitchens), great value, great service. We shared spring rolls, lettuce wraps and a curry dish. Everything was prepared fresh to order and was delicious. Only complaint is the booths are not very sturdy and they move around a lot when people shift or get up/down. Would recommend a table if available. Will definitely return next time I'm in town.

1  Thank MerryBanker
Reviewed 23 November 2015

I love the kung pao chicken - it has spinach in it also, which is a nice healthy addition. We also frequently get pad thai, and other things circulate in and out of our orders. And, because it is BYOB, it keeps the cost down. We do take-out from here frequently, and eat in occasionally. A pleasant atmosphere, and good service.

Reviewed 9 November 2015

I live a block away from this place and have been here well over twenty times. This restaurant has a great, cozy atmosphere -- well-lit with a nice TV and comfortable seats. The Pad Thai is very good and according to a family member the red curry is very good too. Prices are a bit uncomfortably high -- $10 for a Pad Thai, which rises to almost $12 including tips. That's a bit high, and the food doesn't quite justify a price that high (although it depends on how hungry you are). However, overall, it's a good, family-owned place that's nice to have around to get good quality Thai food. I hope it stays open and has success.