“Birthday Celebration ”

Ranked #5 of 163 Restaurants in Elmhurst
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

With most of the family celebrating their birthday's in the same week, we spent the weekend together eating together! Since we never have been here we agreed it was a great reason to give it a try . . .any restaurant that has been in business that long must be doing something right !

The menu is extensive. If you come here bring a BIG APPETITE, or plan on going home with a doggie box. I had the chicken fettuccini with chicken breast (huge) and it was delicious. Served with baked onion soup and salad with homemade blue cheese dressing was delicious. My husband had the shrimp basket, nice size shrimp with a panko crust, on a bed of rice. Also served with soup and salad.
The ribs were also plentiful and GONE IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE. They are famous for their homemade dumplings and sausage with sauerkraut, this too was a great dish that came home for another round! After dinner we stepped on the patio to stretch , and had unexpected guests to entertain us. A mother raccoon and his babies were playing for us. Unfortunately , those pictures were too dark to post. Service was good , ac cold on feet. We would definitely be back for sure.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel across the street so I tried it. It claims to be Bohemian which is probably accurate as it is not really German. The menu is extensive and the portions are gigantic (and I mean gigantic). I ordered the baby pork loin and customized the sides (mashed potatoes and red cabbage). The waitress did not ask if I wanted the small or large so I assumed it was the large. When the bill came, it was the "small". I had just worked out for an hour and was starved and I ate about 1/4 of the meal. The entrees come with soup, salad and a loaf of bread. It is definitely the place to go when on a diet. The service was very friendly and attentive. The dining room ambiance was very cozy with a large stone fireplace in the middle with a German/Austrian feel. There wasn't anything gourmet about the meal but it was very good food and an excellent value and dining experience. You can't go wrong here!

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Great burgers!! prime rib night on Saturdays. Great food!!
Fine dinning or if you pre fer you can sit in the bar area. White table clothes even in the bar area.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

I have been on a food journey for over a week and are reviewing up to 3 times a day. My first visit and felt like a real midwestern establishment. The dacore is 1960's nastalgic and has seating for over 100. The owner are active employees and work on the floor as well. I am going to give the HIDDEN GEM AWARD to Macks'sGolden Pheasant. I asked our waitress if she had a favorite dish! She replied ...No I have a few. I ordered the Potato Crusted Chicken w had a a Filet, Scrimp and Pasta, Breaded Pork Cutlet, Bohemian Platter w Duck, Cheeseburger, Party of 10 and not 1 flaw. Psssst.... off the charts German Chocolate Cake and theith a Dbl Baked, Cream of Brocolli Soup and Salad with Blue Cheese dressing. $16.99. Word! I have never tasted anything like this. It was smothered with a cream sauce that had aspergus and tomatoes. The chicken was boneless and melted in my mouth with every bite. Could not have picked a better comfort plate on a -0 degree evening. Our party also had a a Filet, Scrimp and Pasta, Breaded Pork Cutlet, Bohemian Platter w Duck, Cheeseburger, Party of 10 and not 1 flaw. Psssst.... off the charts German Chocolate Cake and the Warm Bread is complimentary. I can't wait to go back ........ Yummy in my Tummy This is by far a valuable dinner for the quantity. Gigantic portions

Reviewed 21 December 2017

We have been going to this restaurant for years. Always excellent food prepared just as we like it. Sunday buffet is always good too. Try it, you'll like it!