“Awesome visit w/ Great food”
Review of Broken Yolk

Broken Yolk
Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in Elizabeth
Cuisines: American
Description: Great little breakfast (and lunch) place. Terrific food and friendly service.
Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

In the area for a working vacation and decided to grab breakfast on a cold Sunday morning. The service was great, sat at the counter top. Friendly and talkative service. Very attentive and the awesome ladies kept my coffee cup full. Food tasted great, the omelet was filling and toast fresh. Will for sure return. Homemade donuts were perfect touch to round out my last sip of coffee.

Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

We were in Galena for the weeken craft fair , but it was so crowded we headed toward Elizabeth looking for somewhere to eat breakfast . We drove by it twice because we thought it was a bar !!! It is definitely not much to look at, the service is extremely slow, but if you can get past that you have hit the jackpot !!! My daughter had scrambled eggs with cheese and peppers, hash browns, and toast. She loved it !! I had eggs, hash browns , and chicken fried steak with sausage gravy. It was delicious !! Best chicken fried steak I've ever had !! Great hash browns also. Breakfast for the two of us, including tip was less than $20.00. We stopped there the next day on our way home. You won't be disappointed !!
The Broken Yoke is a hidden gem !!

Reviewed 29 September 2015

One Sunday morning I had a hankerin' for pancakes, and remembered I'd forgotten to try this local place. The Yolk has a great rustic appeal both outside and in its dining room, with lots of whimsical decor and a big inviting room for breakfast or lunch. The menu has both creative and standard diner choices. The coffee tastes like diner coffee, and that's all this coffee fiend will say about that. I ordered two pancakes and scrambled eggs. My server was kind enough to point out that the pancakes are full plate size, and that one might just do the trick. Thanks for that helpful suggestion, dear! She was correct. The pancake, flavored with a little cinnamon, was delicious and filling. Eggs were OK. Service was not only friendly and quick, it was almost flirty. I probably could have gotten a neck massage along with my pancake. How unique is that? Seriously, though, very friendly service. I am sure to come back. My breakfast was about six dollars without tip. So, a good value, too.

Reviewed 20 September 2015

They have great biscuits and gravy! They have great tasting coffee. The wait staff was very friendly.

Reviewed 17 August 2015

The Broken Yolk is about 15 miles east of Galena. It is very folksy. The food was OK. We both had the buffet which is simple and to the point. There were scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy. Everything was good. Service was interesting. Apparently most everything is do it yourself. We waited to be seated and finally after being ignored for a time seated ourselves. The bill was the same. Better to leave the cash on the table. By the way as mentioned in other reviews it is cash only.