“I'm going to miss this . . .”
Review of Holy Mackerel - CLOSED

Holy Mackerel
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Knowing the chef and owner is seeking to retire, my husband and I are trying to increase our visits to this charming restaurant. Wonderful soups, freshly baked rolls, luscious seafood tacos, and always tasty entrees provide a gourmet experience in a small-town environment. If you have just driven by and not yet sampled, please do yourself a favor and stop in before it is too late.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Great atmosphere, attentive service, delicious scallops, steak and walleye. That said- I was surprised to see East Coast prices in a small Illinois town...

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

I rarely give a 5 star rating because nothing is perfect, but this place deserves it...starting with originality in running a restaurant with this name in a converted Presbyterian Church. The service was excellent. The food even better. We shared a salad (fresh greens with heirloom tomatoes), warm and delicious bread, Canadian walleye with red potatoes and green/yellow beans, then mixed berry pie (warm) with ice cream for dessert. Great music playing in the background. We made reservations for 6:30 on a Thursday night but shared the restaurant with only one other table of 4 until just before we left when another couple arrived.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Too bad the chef wants to retire! You should go before he sells this charming restaurant. Situated in an old Presbyterian church, the atmosphere and food are both very good. My dining companion said that his pork with blackberry sauce was the best he's had lately. My stuffed chicken ( spinach, pine nuts and cheese) was good but a bit dry. The chilled cucumber soup with almonds was outstanding and the rhubarb pie delicious. Don't miss this charmer!

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Everyone loved the fresh fish. If you can share the beef tenderloin skewers with the table, then you will all be very pleased. 5 star food in a 3 star wrapper. Dine on the altar if you can.