Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great hotel... Will go back!”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Really liked this hotel. The suites are simple yet well kept. The food was good & sleep quality great. Didn't have time to visit the restaurant but that too looked great.
Will be a good place for business visitors.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The rooms are huge as every room is a suite with a separate living room. Some of the decor is dated and the TVs are old with the huge backs. Too bad they weren't flat screens. Bathrooms are tiny and need updating. It was hard to open/close shower door. Beds were very comfortable and clear. Nice to be greeted with a warm cookie. But the breakfast is about $14 and not that great.

• Stayed January 2012
Boston
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I am a Diamond status business traveler and I travel all over the country staying at a variety of the Hilton Brand Hotels. Hands down, Kimberly, Yvonne and Sharon are the best hotel staff that I have encountered time and time again. They remember guests names and preferences and constantly make their guest feel welcome. I must admit, I tend to go to their line when checking in even if it means waiting a couple minutes more. They all deserve Gold standards for providing 4Star quality.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dallas
Reviewed 17 January 2012

1) The biggest problem with this hotel is its layout. All rooms face The atrium area on the second floor, making a tall donut shape building. It is very loud. Having a double door with glass (with a curtain) did not help reduce the noise at all. My room was on the 4th floor. There were people gathering at the atrium at 11pm and was not able to fall asleep until past 1am because of the noise. Then, at 5am, I was awaken by the noise of the hotel staff preparing for the breakfast which starts at 7am.
2) They were unable to give us the room I reserved. We were family of four and reserved 2 double beds and a pull out sofa bed. Instead, they gave us a 1 king plus pull out sofa bed. The sofa bed mattress sort of made a mild V-shape that it was very uncomfortable for 2 people to sleep on.
3) I started wheezing after few minutes of being in the bedroom. I have only experienced wheezing 3 times in my life time and this happened to be one of them. I had to use my son's asthma medication during the stay. I was not able to change the hotel due to being there as a part of a group (my sons' sports team).
4) No free Wi-Fi for the hotel guests. We were told that we have to pay additional fees to use their Wi-Fi connections. Unheard of:(
5) The elevators were the slowest elevators of all I have experienced. There were kids monopolizing the elevators and I waited 5 minutes for one to arrive on the average and the staff failed to control the situation.
6) There were no clean towels left in the pool. Jacuzzi was down with plywood all propped up.
7) House keeping did not bother to give us enough toilet paper. I had to request some.
8) My son went down to get some breakfast and brought it back to the room to eat because there were no clean table available at the breakfast area. When he went to get some more food, he was requested for another breakfast voucher. He had already given his for that day on the 1st trip and was not allowed to get seconds. He was wearing the team uniform.
9) Horrible room service... No one answers the phone. When finally got a hold of someone, they said 1 hour for a pizza:(

I used to like Doubletree. Not anymore. NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel used to be the the Radisson Suites hotel many years ago. At that time it was an amazing hotel. Top service, beautiful rooms, and everything was shiny new. But sadly this place has not been kept up and is slowly deteriorating. Each time I come back here I grow sadder at the state of this hotel.

The hot tub was out of service. To be fair, Doubletree was very clear about this on the website when we booked it. What was most disappointing was that apparently it's been out of service for many months. And there is no date in sight when it will be fixed. The pool elevator was also out of service during my stay. I'm pretty sure it was broken the last time I stayed here about a year ago too.

The decor of the hotel is very outdated. Dark interior. Old patterns. Tube style TVs with extremely poor reception and unexplainable channels. Probably 10 of the channels worked a small percentage of the time and the rest of the time were not watchable. The TVs had ghostly shadows on many of the other channels or lines across the top of the screen. Interestingly enough some of the reviews from early this year had replies from a manager claiming the hotel will be renovating their TVs in July/August 2011. Well it's December 31, 2011 and it obviously wasn't done.

Comfort of the room is average. The beds are small double beds and not very comfortable for a nights sleep. Rooms are large suite type rooms with a sofa sleeper/living area. But bathrooms are very small as mentioned by other reviewers. The room was well cleaned. And the maids noticed my son used his own blanket and pillow on his bed, so when they made up the room they made the bed using his linens instead of replacing them with the hotel linens. That was a nice touch and very observant.

Our room had a large picture window which was nice, but the entire wood surface beneath it was badly stained. So was the facade of the hotel on the outside. It looked in desperate need of a cleaning. There are dark moldy stains all down the building.

Hotel staff was very friendly. Everyone smiled and was very pleasant. While I didn't need anything additional I have little doubt they would have accommodated me if I had asked. The hotel seemed to be mostly vacant the whole week. Not sure if that's just the holidays or if people are starting to avoid the hotel.

I sure hope they start putting some effort into this hotel. It would be sad to see the place where we had my wedding reception some 20 years ago fall into oblivion.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
dtechman, Director of Sales at Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. The hotel has begun its renovation at the end of December 2011 and ALL of the issues you mention are being addressed during this work. We are spending several million dollars to replace the TV's, upgrade the channels and picture to hi-def, clean the outside of the building, and many other improvements too numerous to mention! Some of this work was delayed due to items coming from the manufacturer being delayed but I can assure you we will be better than every when all is done!

The hotel was slow (as were all the hotels in the area) the week you stayed with us. 2011 was a very strong year for the hotel and 2012 is expected to be even better so there is nothing "down hill" about our businss levels, rest assured!

We hope you will return when the work is completed and we look forward to hearing about your future stays!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downers Grove
0.8 km away
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
#5 of 7 in Downers Grove

Been to Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

Additional Information about Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove

Property: Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Address: 2111 Butterfield Rd, Downers Grove, IL 60515-1043
Region: United States > Illinois > DuPage County > Downers Grove
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Downers Grove
Price range (per night): ₹ 7,580 - ₹ 14,642
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove 3.5*
The Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago-Downers Grove is situated in Chicago's western suburbs next to Lombard and Oakbrook, Illinois. Centrally located between Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) and Chicago Midway (MDW) the Doubletree Suites Downers Grove is the perfect choice for business meetings. Offering an International Association of Conference Center (IACC) approved meeting facility, our comfortable surroundings and exceptional catering team provide the ultimate environment for any business or social occasion. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Doubletree Guest Suites & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove Hotel