“Just as I remember it.”

Choo Choo Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 193 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Needed a quick place for a fast dinner with grandkids. This place rocks. Very limited menu but it is perfect for kids or adults acting like kids. Burgers, dogs and chicken sandwiches. Fries came hot. Limited Chili when in season.
This place opened 66 years ago. Little Choo Choo serves food to counter folks. Waitress brings to tables. Very limited seating and short hours. This place is a hoot. Bring the kids for birthdays. Do not miss it.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Having your meal delivered by train is a cute idea if only there wasn't such a long wait for a place which the train accessed. Not an easy things to do if you are bringing kids. And why would you go if you weren't bringing kids? No changing table in the bathroom. Actually barely room to wash your hands. No type of placemat for kids to color (if you are smart enough to bring your own crayons because none are offered.) Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Food was average. Hot dog good but bun soggy to point of falling apart. And very expensive! Might go back for the free birthday cupcake offered but need the year between visits!

Reviewed 8 May 2017

My wife and I took our son to this little place once when he was very young because we had heard how much kids loved it. At the time our boy was way into Thomas and he loved Buses as well so we figured we'd go check it out.

I recall having a cheeseburger, fries and drink, same as my boy, while my wife had a chicken sandwich, fries and drink. I seem to recall the food as being mediocre at best, and it was quite pricey as I remember. I believe we spent right around $25. While the service was friendly and the delivery of food was charming and very much entertaining for my son to witness I always believed that the real value of this place is in the memory that the children must long remember, and that in itself makes it a place to visit, if only once. I wouldn't consider this a bad deal.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

The Choo Choo has a great reputation for being a fun place for a burger or hot dog with the train delivering food to the kids. Unique is a good description of the place. Original decor which could use some TLC, over priced food, but great shakes. Very limited seating with the train running on a track at the counter. Loved the birthday song they sang to those that were celebrating birthdays. Toddlers most likely are happy with the experience. Cash only, no reservations. I'd go back for a shake but that's it.

1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

Old building that is a remnant of old des plaines before rapid development...fun time while eating decent fast food. Many options for sililar cuidine in chicagoland, best in walking distance