“Only been here once, long ago.”

Choo Choo Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 187 Restaurants in Des Plaines
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 May 2017

My wife and I took our son to this little place once when he was very young because we had heard how much kids loved it. At the time our boy was way into Thomas and he loved Buses as well so we figured we'd go check it out.

I recall having a cheeseburger, fries and drink, same as my boy, while my wife had a chicken sandwich, fries and drink. I seem to recall the food as being mediocre at best, and it was quite pricey as I remember. I believe we spent right around $25. While the service was friendly and the delivery of food was charming and very much entertaining for my son to witness I always believed that the real value of this place is in the memory that the children must long remember, and that in itself makes it a place to visit, if only once. I wouldn't consider this a bad deal.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

The Choo Choo has a great reputation for being a fun place for a burger or hot dog with the train delivering food to the kids. Unique is a good description of the place. Original decor which could use some TLC, over priced food, but great shakes. Very limited seating with the train running on a track at the counter. Loved the birthday song they sang to those that were celebrating birthdays. Toddlers most likely are happy with the experience. Cash only, no reservations. I'd go back for a shake but that's it.

1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

Old building that is a remnant of old des plaines before rapid development...fun time while eating decent fast food. Many options for sililar cuidine in chicagoland, best in walking distance

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Choo Choo is a unique destination in Chicagoland, one we always visit when we're in the area with young kids. Food is decent, good hamburgers, hot dogs, shakes and floats. But the most unique aspect is that the food is brought to you on an electric toy train, which is a big hit with the kids. Restaurant is pretty small with limited seating so you may need to wait a it at busy hours and it's not recommended for big crowds. Also check the hours before you go as they are not open late.

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

My Great Nephew loves trains and this kid friendly restaurant was just the ticket! It's small and no reservations, cash only place. We love the model train that brings your food around to you if your sitting around the front of the bar. They even sing happy birthday complete with the sound of a train whistle!

1  Thank Stephanie C