“Winery trip supper”

Ranked #5 of 11 Restaurants in Cobden
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: The use of stones or rocks for cooking is not altogether new...It goes back to 18,000 B.C. The natural ability of stones to retain and radiate heat has made it the ideal cooking source through a diverse range of cultures. Lava rocks are pieces of crushed volcanic stone placed under the food on a special grate or plate. They collect juices and fat that drip down from the cooking area. When the juices contact the hot rocks, they produce smoke, which wafts up around the food. The result is a flavor closer to that from charcoal grilling than from conventional gas grilling. Using lava rock lets you enjoy the convenience of gas without loss of flavor. Volcanic rocks used at the Trails End Lodge are heated in a special oven and are then placed onto specially-designed stoneware plates made to withstand the intense heat. The rocks are then delivered to your table along with your entree selection. Start cooking your steak, fish and veggies and soon you'll be hearing the sizzle and smell the aroma of your meal cooking right before your very eyes. Each bite is hot, juicy and delicious. The best part is...You control it all!
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We picked this place out based on location and menu. We had the ribeye steak and a bottle of Red n Blue wine from Pheasant Hollow. I also ordered the fried potatoes and added jalapenos. The entrees are all brought to you uncooked with seasoning and a lava rock to cook it on right in front of you. At first this wouldn't have been my first choice but it's absolutely worth the experience and we will go back. Also very nice they support the local wines from area. Highly recommend this place!

1  Thank Kevin W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

In the short time I was there, the "management" was so rude,arrogant and condescending to wait staff and cooks, we couldn't even bring ourselves to stay any longer. There is a difference between running somewhere sternly and being a disrespectful bully. There were also dogs in the outdoor area that were infested with ticks and who knows what else. As an animal lover, I don't mind them being out there, what I do mind is that they aren't property cared for. When my boyfriend offered to remove one of the very swollen ticks from one of them, the very rude waitress who had ignored his previous 3 attempts to even speak to her snarkily said "the dog is fine." I couldn't handle anymore. The people who run this place think they are above everyone and everything and make it blatantly clear. I'll never....ever....go here again. I won't give my money who have a complete lack of respect for customers, staff, and even their own pets. That being said, the waitress/bartender we had who was being spoken to so rudely was fantastic and the only one who made the whole experience tolerable. To her, I'd say I'm so sorry for what you dealt with and I hope for your sake, that's not your everyday life....bc your personality and kindness outshines either of the 2 who thought they were something so special.

2  Thank z5599780
Reviewed 14 June 2017

We ate on a Sunday afternoon and sat outside on the shaded patio. The bison burgers were cooked to perfection and delicious. Our waitress was great and visited with us when my 91 year old father-in-law asked her questions. The rustic atmosphere was nice. We weren't hungry enough to try cooking our food on the stones but will next time. Very interesting.

1  Thank dottyb13
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

One of the most delicious, and unusual dining experiences we've had in this part of the country. A really cool place! On our way to Shawnee Hills Lavender Farm, we decided to give it a try on a Sunday afternoon. So glad we did. Sat outside on a shady deck, chatted with our lovely, friendly waitress, and enjoyed cooking our steaks, lamb chops, and scallops on 700* lava stones at our table. She said this was one of only four places in the US that uses this technique, and it was very simple and FUN! We loved the adventure and will definitely return!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped here because it was nearby skyline view cabin rental. Gorgeous views from outside patio. I have never heard of lava stones for cooking before. So waitress explained everything thoroughly even made to check on table multiple times to see if I needed help. I recommend the steak fabulous.

Plus two bull mastiffs greet you at the door. Very sweet friendly dogs.

1  Thank Jessica H