“Wonderful experience ”

Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Cobden
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: The use of stones or rocks for cooking is not altogether new...It goes back to 18,000 B.C. The natural ability of stones to retain and radiate heat has made it the ideal cooking source through a diverse range of cultures. Lava rocks are pieces of crushed volcanic stone placed under the food on a special grate or plate. They collect juices and fat that drip down from the cooking area. When the juices contact the hot rocks, they produce smoke, which wafts up around the food. The result is a flavor closer to that from charcoal grilling than from conventional gas grilling. Using lava rock lets you enjoy the convenience of gas without loss of flavor. Volcanic rocks used at the Trails End Lodge are heated in a special oven and are then placed onto specially-designed stoneware plates made to withstand the intense heat. The rocks are then delivered to your table along with your entree selection. Start cooking your steak, fish and veggies and soon you'll be hearing the sizzle and smell the aroma of your meal cooking right before your very eyes. Each bite is hot, juicy and delicious. The best part is...You control it all!
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped here because it was nearby skyline view cabin rental. Gorgeous views from outside patio. I have never heard of lava stones for cooking before. So waitress explained everything thoroughly even made to check on table multiple times to see if I needed help. I recommend the steak fabulous.

Plus two bull mastiffs greet you at the door. Very sweet friendly dogs.

1  Thank Jessica H

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

I can't believe anyone who ate here actually was impressed. It was pricey and food was awful. The place is run down and dirty. I guess there is no competition in the forest only locals might enjoy or just want to support them.

4  Thank elizabeth c
Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

We ate here on a Sunday evening and dined outside. Our friendly waiter, Taylor, explained the menu and the table top grilling to a "T". We had never experienced grilling on a hot lava stone at our table. Tip: if you want your steak cooked above medium rare, order a second stone. Our meal came with a baked potato, small salad and vegetables for grilling. My wife ordered a cranberry walnut salad which was also delicious.
Note: this is a restaurant in a bar setting and not a eligible sit down restaurant.
We enjoyed the experience

1  Thank Barbara and Dav... D
Reviewed 23 September 2016

This place was a great unexpected experience! I was unaware of the process until we arrived. I love that you can cook your meal at the table! The food, drink selection and atmosphere was great. Not to mention the fantastic prices! Great meal and experience for a very reasonable amount of money. We will most definitely return on our next trip South.

1  Thank LoveTraveling721
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Admittedly I was a little concerned when my friend told me about the restaurant tucked away in the middle of Cobden. "There's really a restaurant around here?" I thought maybe she tired of my visit and this is her clever way of putting an end to me.

Thankfully I'm still here and can share with you what a unique and delicious experience it was here. I had never had anything cooked on lava stones previously and being able to season to taste my own meat was fun. I ordered the sampler and had generous portions of meats in addition to the salad and baked potato. I was well fed that night.

The feel of the restaurant overall is that you're in someone's home. Very attentive service as well as a beautiful backyard complete with a friendly Labrador!

The value itself blew my mind for what we ordered. I thought they had forgotten to add on our drinks. For what we ordered, I think could charge more if they wanted to.

The next time I'm in the area, I plan to return. Thank you for a great experience!

1  Thank Anthony H