“Hidden Lava Stone!”

Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Cobden
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: The use of stones or rocks for cooking is not altogether new...It goes back to 18,000 B.C. The natural ability of stones to retain and radiate heat has made it the ideal cooking source through a diverse range of cultures. Lava rocks are pieces of crushed volcanic stone placed under the food on a special grate or plate. They collect juices and fat that drip down from the cooking area. When the juices contact the hot rocks, they produce smoke, which wafts up around the food. The result is a flavor closer to that from charcoal grilling than from conventional gas grilling. Using lava rock lets you enjoy the convenience of gas without loss of flavor. Volcanic rocks used at the Trails End Lodge are heated in a special oven and are then placed onto specially-designed stoneware plates made to withstand the intense heat. The rocks are then delivered to your table along with your entree selection. Start cooking your steak, fish and veggies and soon you'll be hearing the sizzle and smell the aroma of your meal cooking right before your very eyes. Each bite is hot, juicy and delicious. The best part is...You control it all!
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Admittedly I was a little concerned when my friend told me about the restaurant tucked away in the middle of Cobden. "There's really a restaurant around here?" I thought maybe she tired of my visit and this is her clever way of putting an end to me.

Thankfully I'm still here and can share with you what a unique and delicious experience it was here. I had never had anything cooked on lava stones previously and being able to season to taste my own meat was fun. I ordered the sampler and had generous portions of meats in addition to the salad and baked potato. I was well fed that night.

The feel of the restaurant overall is that you're in someone's home. Very attentive service as well as a beautiful backyard complete with a friendly Labrador!

The value itself blew my mind for what we ordered. I thought they had forgotten to add on our drinks. For what we ordered, I think could charge more if they wanted to.

The next time I'm in the area, I plan to return. Thank you for a great experience!

1  Thank Anthony H

Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

Tucked away on winding roads is where you find this place. Only one sign on the road then drive down the winding road to the END. Surrounded by rock bluffs overlooking the valley is your setting.

Inside dinning is limited seating but there is a huge multi level deck in the back. Plenty of seating on the front and rear lawn areas.

All entrees are served uncooked with a 8x8 super hot lava rock for you to cook at your table. You control your own degree of doneness. The rock stays hot for the entire meal. The meats were all high quality and fresh!

I had the sampler pork sausage, lamb chop, pork loin, and ribeye steak. Comes with salad, baked potato, and veggs.

I gave only 4 stars as the inside seating was small and or bar seating only. Few of the owners dogs were on the deck and folks were smoking too.

This is a small town restaurant with a unique flair.

This is an adventure to try when in the area.

I recommend this place for your dinning experience!

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We decided to celebrate our anniversary at this hidden gem, as my husband was interested in the lava stone cooking. This experience was unique and enjoyable! The food was amazing - he had steak and I had scallops. In addition, we both ordered a shrimp skewer. Our entrees came with salad, grill-able veggies, and a baked potato. I had the fudge brownie for dessert - reasonably priced and decadent (and only $3). Worth the experience!

Reviewed 30 June 2016

The food was great and the outdoor seating was very scenic.
Cooking on the lava stone was a first for us, but we thoroughly enjoyed it and our service was great.
I would recommend anyone doing the wine trail to stop and eat at Trails End.

Reviewed 16 March 2016

Service awful, food mediocre to poor at best, and this occurred 3 times. Will never go back after last visit. Could not get anyone to wait on us even though it was not crowded. We were 4 couples listening to music. All of us found it amusing, but agreed not a place to return

3  Thank Susan Z