“Indigo = NO Go” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #113 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Bloomington
“Indigo = NO Go”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

This is the worst experience in Chicago I have had. We were told the only room was smoking because we booked through Priceline. I had to ask 5 times what else they could do for us. NOTHING was offered UNTIL I asked for food vouchers. This hotel doesn't even have complimentary breakfast. The 4th Floor smoking floor smells like an ashtray. Room is small and uncomfortable, TV small out dated! This is suppose to be a 3 Star hotel and it doesn't rate 2 stars. Given one queen bed for family of three. Hotel staff unfriendly and lacked customer service skills.

Room Tip: Call and confirm non smoking and two beds!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank traveldad2008
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Thai first
So Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed 4 nights visiting my son at Depaul. Room was reasonably sized and clean. The beds were comfortable. The Red line is a few minute walk around the corner. Water Tower area is is a short walk. North Beach and Lincoln park were a little longer. but easy walk away. There are several fantastic restaurants less than a 5 minute walk away: Table Fifty Two, Chicago Q and Mario's. Yes, the TV was old, there was no refrigerator and a wider selection at the bar would have been nice, but cleanliness, convenience and a friendly staff won me over. There is no shortage of bars within close walking distance.

Room Tip: 3rd Coast Cafe--a couple of doors south on Dearborn is the hot tip for breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Grand Haven, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Enjoyed the decor and style of this hotel. Parking is a little on the expensive side.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I just recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo in Chicago, IL. We stayed there for 2 nights, a Saturday and Sunday. The only good thing I can really say about this hotel is the location. It was only about a 10 minute walk from Michigan Ave. and had every type of restaurant/store nearby that you could want.

When we first walked in the decor was great and the lobby looked extremely nice. The staff when we checked in was not too friendly or overly nice but everyone is entitled to having a bad day. We then were told that we had a smoking room, which we were unaware of. When we stepped off of the elevator the entire floor wreaked of smoke. I have stayed in other hotels on the smoking floor and have never had this problem. When we walked into the room we noticed the decor was very cute and colorful but the size was extremely small. Not only was the room extremely small but there was a spider on the wall which had been killed and smeared across the ceiling..quite disgusting. The TV looked to be about a 19" from the late 1990's and was somewhat hard to see from the bed because it was so small. The bathroom was fine and was the most modern thing in the room, although the sink did back up when I brushed my teeth but eventually went down after a few minutes. The room was equipped with a keurig, however we were given only decaf coffee. I'm sure we could have called down and asked for regular but did not feel like going through all that and went to starbucks instead.

The worst part of my stay was the fact that the walls of this hotel are EXTREMELY thin. For approximately 30 mins we could here people in a room down the hall have sexual relations. It was absolutely disgusting and for this reason and all of the others, I will NEVER stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Mary S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Ben J
IHG Care
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I'm currently sitting in my room in this hotel, with my view of the fire escape and my 1992 era television. Upon arrival around midnight last night, I was told there was only a public parking deck next door but if I wanted street parking, I could come down and start feeding a meter at 8am. It would seem I was lucky there was a $39/day deck next door. I then attempted to enter my room with what would appear to be 2 bad keys. After returning to the front desk (I was treated very nicely by the night manager) she came up with me and it turns out the key has to sit in the slot for 10 seconds before you can get in. Wow.

The room is ok. The laminate hardwood floors would be a decent touch, if they werent uneven and chipped in parts. I can also hear everything my neighbors are doing. When I called to order some coffee and breakfast, the chick in the restaurant said she would call me back and when I picked up the phone when she did, she just said "yeah?" as if I had interrupted her mid-conversation. When I asked how long I could wait for breakfast she complained about how she was the only one there, and there were other people waiting, and it would be 20 minutes for my yogurt, fruit, and coffee.

I'm not impressed with the service, the room, or anything else I've seen. I've stayed at an Indigo in Asheville and LOVED it so I was excited to try this one in Chicago. My excitement was quickly dispelled with and now I'm wishing I'd shelled out the extra money for the Dana or Wyndham where I normally stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business