I chose the Homewood Suites off the list of convention hotels as I tend to like suite hotels for the space and microwave. The HS certainly was very well located – surrounded by restaurants (including Mario Batali’s ginormous Eataly complex with all kinds of Italian groceries plus 9 restaurants just around the block), shopping (Nordstrom across the street, Michigan Ave 2 blocks away), touristy stuff (2 blocks from the riverwalk), and so on. The room was basically a 1 BR apartment: living area with TV and couch, small kitchen with fridge, sink, d/w, stovetop, microwave, and ample cabinets; bedroom area open to the sink area and closet, and shower/tub and toilet. Free internet is handy, and free breakfast too (which I skipped). There are also supposedly a laundry room and a fitness center that I did not check out. My room also had a nice view of the Trump hotel tower and other landmarks. So top ratings for location, convenience, and space. It’s like staying in an apartment downtown.
However, a few minor downsides. Compared to several other suite hotel chains nearby (ES, HGI, SbS, etc.) which appear to be newer and more hotel-like with inviting lobbies, the HS seems to inhabit an older apartment building, with only an entry foyer (with concierge) on the ground floor. The lobby for registration is up on the 6th floor. The bedroom layout is a less than ideal with the side of the bed being next to the open bathroom sink area (so if someone gets up to use the bathroom, it's hard not to wake the other person up). Also, the room décor has not been updated in a while. Aside from flat screen TVs and one of those clever shower curtain rods curved for extra space, the interior carpeting etc. felt a little dated. Not dirty, but definitely not fresh and updated . A room safe would have been nice too. If you’re a family that needs the space and conveniences of apartment living, this could be just what you need. As for me, maybe next time I travel here on business I either try one of the other suite places, or skip the suite option to go for a smaller, but more updated place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points -receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. Check us out online for discounts and packages! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton
- Chicago Homewood Suites