3,026 results
All reviews full kitchen free dinner great location breakfast and dinner navy pier the sofa bed the magnificent mile top floor valet staff separate bedroom living area within walking distance complimentary breakfast evening reception michigan ave trump tower wrigley building
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The Staff
This was our second stay in this hotel and we chose it because we loved it so much last year. From the moment you walk in you are treated very well by the valets. We pulled up to the curb in front of the hotel and the valets immediately took care of our bags and car. Since we arrived earlier than check-in they had no problem storing the bags for us until our room was ready. When we checked in the front desk staff was extremely friendly and talkative like they've known you forever. Throughout our stay we were greeted with smiles from everyone. I was there for business so when I left the hotel every morning the valets asked how I was doing and told me "It is so nice to see you!" My husband and daughters left the hotel everyday to visit the museums and the valets treated them like family, instructing them on which direction to go or which buses to take. We finally saw the server in the breakfast room, Connie, who we fell in love with last year. She actually remembered us and asked my husband how his job was going. Her daughter is working there now and is just as sweet as she is, she looks just like her too! Overall the staff cannot be beat. Every evening the manager stood out in the lobby and talked to guests as they came in and out to get coffee. I love being treated like I am not only welcome there, but wanted there.
The Room
The room was perfect and large with a living room, kitchen and a king bedroom with a bathroom. The kitchen had a stove, microwave, full size refrigerator, sink, and dishwasher as well as dishes for four and pots and pans. Both the living room and the bedroom had large flat screen televisions with quite a few cable channels, we settled on the Food Network and HGTV for most of our stay. The bed had many different blankets to suit your needs. The main comforter was like a big pocket with a down comforter in the middle of it. Underneath that was a large fleece blanket and then a regular sheet. There were 6 pillows provided on the bed as well as an extra one in the closet. The pullout sleeper sofa came with a fitted sheet and flat sheet as well. At night it was like having two bedrooms with us in the king bedroom and the kids on the sleeper sofa in the living room. The provided toiletries were high class instead of generic hotel soaps. The shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were all Bath & Body Works Rain-kissed leaves, and the soap was a Neutrogena bar. There was also a USA Today newspaper left at our doorstep every morning.
Amenities
In addition to the wonderful staff and the modern and spacious rooms, this hotel comes with many great amenities. The indoor pool and fitness room are on the 19th floor surrounded by windows on three sides- you can imagine the downtown Chicago view! The pool goes from 3 feet to 4-1/2 feet deep and is surrounded by lounge chairs and tables and an unlimited supply of towels. Free coffee, hot chocolate, tea, and water is provided in the lobby at all times (24/7) and is great for raising your energy level to explore the city. The extra touch of providing flavored creamers in addition to regular creamer for the coffee is wonderful, I love my coffee with french vanilla creamer. The free breakfast is worlds above any "continental" breakfast served by other hotels. The menu changes slightly daily, but usually includes cook-yourself waffles, vanilla yogurt, granola, fruit, oatmeal with various toppings, toast, bagels, and then various hot items such as steak and eggs, bacon, sausage, or fried potatoes. There is also a free dinner Monday-Thursday with different themes each night. During our stay we had an Italian night, a French Quarter night, a mexican night, and a barbecue burgers night. Free wine and beer as well as lemonade, tea, and water is served with these meals. In addition to the main entrees they also include soups, sides, salad, and yummy desserts. There is free wifi which is pretty reliable, I only had trouble a couple of times. If you don't have your own laptop they also have a business center with desktop computers set up where you can work, check your email, or print your documents. The front desk also has a little 24 hour convenience store where you can pick up a coke, toiletries, or other miscellaneous items. If you forget any of your toiletries from home they will provide them for you at no cost. We had forgotten our toothpaste and my husband went down to buy some but was offered some Colgate packets for free instead.
Location
The location of this hotel is fabulous. It is just a block from Michigan Ave and is surrounded by many restaurants. Within a 1 block radius were restaurants like Buca di Beppo, PF Changs, Chipotle, Jimmy Johns, Weber Grill and more. The grocery store is a Jewel-Osco located a block and a half west of the hotel on State Street. It's an easy walk to Oak Street Beach on the north side of Michigan Ave and Millenium and Grant Parks on the south side of Michigan Ave. You are also just three blocks from the river that runs through the city and the River Walk. There is a free trolley stop for Navy Pier right in front of the hotel and a plethora of bus stops right on Michigan Ave to get wherever you need to go. Bus 10 takes you to the Museum of Science and Industry, 146 takes you to and from the Museum campus with Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Adler Planetarium. Bus 151 takes you to the free Lincoln Park Zoo.
Issues
One of the two elevators went out of service while we were there. It took a little longer when waiting for an elevator to arrive. However, the staff went out of their way to offer the service elevator in the back to guests from the lobby on the 6th floor or the entrance on the 1st floor. During the weekend they also extended breakfast hours so that no one would miss out due to the elevator issue. They made it very clear that they were doing everything they could to ease the inconvenience of the non-working elevator. We had a corner room on the 7th floor (room 716) which was right next to the stairwell. You could hear people walking up and down the stairs and it got really loud if kids or multiple people were using them at the same time. It didn't bother us but some people are more sensitive to noise. I'm sure the stairs aren't used often when the elevators are working.

Overall this hotel has everything you could ever need and you can't find a better staff anywhere. It's nice to be treated like family when you are on vacation. You get the true feeling of being home away from home. We look forward to our next stay!

Room Tip: If you are susceptible to noise disturbance, do not take a room on the corner of the building near the stairwell.
8  Thank Aubrav
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Aubrav,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was pleased to see that you loved your stay with us at Homewood Suites. Your review was very thoughtful and detailed. I appreciate you taking the time to be so descriptive about your wonderful experience with the hotel, your suite, the amenities we offer, and the staff. I am certain that your review will provide a lot of insight about the hotel and the surrounding areas to many potential guests browsing tripadvisor reviews. We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Great location, great hotel, great staff, especially valet, great service (free breakfast and dinner) and spacious room with great living room and kitchen. Everything you need! Highly recommended for families with kids

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Sara505,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was also glad to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you and that you had everything you needed while staying with us. I really appreciate your recommendation of Homewood Suites to other potential guests. Thank you for taking the time to mention the great staff; I will pass along your compliments to the entire team. We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Overall Impression: Great Location. Felt Like Home. Have stayed here for business and vacation. Plan to return for a visit next summer. I had a slight problem with my room at check-in and the issue was resolved immediately.

Special note: Great job done by Amer and the valet/bellmen crew. They provided great directions, recommendations and service. We were warmly greeted each time we left/returned.

With my Hilton Honors Diamond status, I received HH points.

PROs:
- Great staff
-With breakfast and dinner provided, a family could each lunch in the room with the kitchen provided (stove/fridge) or go out and still save alot of money.
-Proximity to local restaurants and shopping.
- Everything within walking distance, Michigan Avenue and even Navy Pier
-Subway stop next door
-Good Breakfast and Dinner
-Room was spotless
-Great Business Center
-Managers reception was great with Beer and wine provided.
-Conciere support/service was superb.

CONs:
-$$$ Valet Parking (only)
- Good Breakfast and Dinner, but it can get a little crowded
-Not great views from the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

USMC Retired,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you felt like home while stay with us at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. Congratulations on your Diamond Honors status! I was glad that you enjoyed the suite, amenities, and that the location of the hotel was convenient for you while visiting the many great sights downtown has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the staff; I will pass along your compliments to the entire team. We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

If you have kids or low expectations of hotels, this one will suffice. We chose this due to the suite and breakfast for the kids, but our first room was really small (along with a large gap between the carpet and hardwood floor and a cracked ceiling light) so we requested to be moved. The next room was larger, but really odd shaped like they were unsure what to do with the extra space. The rooms are also very outdated and could use a facelift. The breakfast was very average and didn't last long. There were two treadmills in the "exercise room", but one was broken and another guest was on the other one. We were told we could go to the Conrad across the street and use their exercise equipment, but we chose not to. (why not have your own equipment that works....?) The only real positive in our experience was the location and staff, who were friendly and helpful. We will not stay here again. We have previously and will in the future find higher quality hotels on our next trip to Chicago.

1  Thank RandomGirl03
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

RandomGirl03,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of our hotel. I was pleased to see that the hotel was in a convenient location for you and your family while staying downtown. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the friendly and helpful staff; I will pass along your compliments to the rest of the team. We will also discuss the condition of the room and specifically focus on the cracked ceiling. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you the next time you are in downtown Chicago.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

When you have a child with you on vacation, you conveniences like a refrigerator, a stove, microwave etc. Most hotels don't have these things while the ones that do charge you for these types of things. Our suite had a a kitchen that has all those things which was very helpful.

It was nice to returning from touring the city to a room that was extremely comfortable, spacious, clean and well maintained.

The staff here is very friendly and willing to accommodate reasonable requests. I didn't have my ID with me because my wife had it and she was going to be a while to join me in the lobby. The front desk still checked me in because they saw me waiting there like a moron.

Breakfast is included in the room rates. The location is wonderful. We only had to cross the street to get to the subway and we were just around the corner from Michigan Avenue which is where all the stores are.

Parking is 42 a night which is incredibly high but reasonable considering it's downtown Chicago. We stayed at another gotel that charged 50 a night.

Overall, this was a great experience.

2  Thank Gabriel S
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Ayo S,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. “An Oasis in Downtown Chicago.” We greatly appreciate such kind words. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed you experience at our property. I was also glad to see that you enjoyed all of the amenities we offer at Homewood Suites. I was also grateful for you taking the time to mention the friendly and accommodating staff. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.