“Second time and it has improved”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #59 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Second time and it has improved”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed last weekend for a visit to see my daughter. Looked around on trvel sites and noticed that almost all hotels were booked or very expensive in downtown Chicago. I called the Sheraton hotline and was offered a promotion that I could'nt refuse. I drove from Minneapolis and parked my car at my daughters apartment. We took the Red Line to the hotel. It is a 4 block walk. Not bad. The hotel was sleek and clean in the lobby. There were alot of young couples, as there were a couple of weddings planned for that weekend. Lots of activity and fun people watching. Our room was #809. It was very very nice. It was big for some Chicago hotels. The bed looked inviting (I was tired from the 7 hour drive). We left and went to dinner. After dinner we crashed. The bed was so comfortable. The bathroon was updated with Marble. We used the lobby bar a couple of times and the bartenders were very nice. The front desk was very nice too. It was a perfect time to be in Chicago. This hotel was in a nice location. I have always preferred the Northern side of Michign Avenue (900 block) but I found that there were many many restaurants and bars that were lively and fun. I would recommend going back. Only complaints are: Palying for the use of computer in the lobby (5.00) I tried it and it didnt even let me use sites because of security. Didnt like paying for nothing. I also think that 29.00 is too much for parking. I am glad I didnt have to. The price for drinks and coffee is expensive, but most are at a nice hotels like the Westin.

Room Tip: We had a wonderful room that overlooked the River
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed at rhe Westin for our first trip to Chicago. The hotel is beautiful, well situated and the people are wonderful. The fitness centre was an especially nice surprise with trainers providingvpersonalized fitness programs at no additional charge. We would definitely chose this hotel for any subsequent trips to The Windy City.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank waterdownforever
Bangalore
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed for 5 days. Liked the hotel and the location. however, i felt that something is lacking overall. staff was very helpful. room could have been imporved. Hotel was situlated just beside the river and the view from my river view room was superb. find an exellent pizzeria and indian food restaurant just 5 min walk from the hotel. overall a nice place to stay, however, there are number of alternatives available in the downtown.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms has the best view of the river and bridge.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear DrRaaj,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your visit at The Westin Chicago River North. I am glad to see you were able to take advantage of one of our nice river view rooms. Our location is excellent in terms of views as well as things to do in the River North area. I was happy to hear you took advantage of a couple of the fabulous restaurants in the vicinity. We thank you for you visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Be Well,

Peter
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed at the Westin River North from July 23-26 2012. I really enjoy the hotel and it's staff. Everyone is so friendly, willing to help, and overall just nice people. I was in room 702 and I think it was one that could use some renovation. The bed was lovely (as expected from a Westin) however, my AC unit was very old. There was a digital thermostat on the wall; however, it did not work and I had to use two dials that were built into the wall. I couldn't regulate the temperature at all, so I asked for the engineering department to come take a look. Turns out, he couldn't do anything either, so they brought up a fan to my room. The customer service was great! But the engineer that came to my room mentioned that my AC unit was original to the building and only some rooms have the digital thermostat working.

Also, there are a few housekeeping issues too. My shower head (again the two heavenly showerheads) were dirty. They looked as if it had never been cleaned.

Other than those two things, I would say the property itself is fine. Just minor renovations needed. I would stay at the property again.

~Melissa

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear Meliss1056,

We thank you for your visit to The Westin Chicago River North. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I can assure you your concerns will be addressed. I was happy to hear your overall stay was fine and that you would stay with us again. We value repeat business. I will be sure to share the nice comments with the team.

Be Well,

Peter
Foxboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The Westin provided a convenient and comfortable stay for myself and my business travelers.
We enjoyed great rooms and service.

Sam, the Personal Trainer in the gym, was very helpful and friendly... attentive and knowledgeable.

The concierge and front desk were also extremely patient and helpful regarding all requests

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business