“needs an upgrade”

Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile
Ranked #161 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I booked this hotel on a website in which I would not find out the name until after the purchase and was a bit horrified with the reviews when going in. I found my experience was slightly better than reported in some of the bad reviews.
The location is nice if you are looking to stay in the main part of the city. There is a lot of access to shops and restaurants, all of the main tourist attractions, and a short ride to both the Wrigleyville and Wicker Park neighborhoods where all of the best nightlife is (but where few hotels are available).
However, I am happy that I was out doing other things, and not spending time in the hotel, which was dirty and outdated. When we arrived, our room wasn't ready so we had to sit in the lobby. The chairs and rug were filthy, and many of the seats on the chairs were worn down and uncomfortable.
When we arrived in our room, it was better than expected. No sign of bed bugs, and it was dirty from use over time, but no overt signs of previous inhabitants were seen. It was a bit small and there was little space to walk or get ready but given that it is an historic hotel in downtown Chicago this is something that could be overlooked. It would have been nice to have a floorlength mirror in the bedroom area (or any mirror at all), but again not a big deal, just something to know. The room was not unbearably hot and we did not need to use the a/c. The traffic noise below was also not an issue, especially given the proximity to Michigan Avenue.
A couple of big problems- one was that the toilet kept running, and on a few occasions we had to take the top off to make sure it was actually filling up. Second, the shower pressure was really really low to the point where it was difficult to rinse the shampoo out of our hair.
We did not have a lot of interaction with the front desk staff, other than when we checked in. However, they did not seem overly friendly. There were two slow elevators for the entire building, but we did not have to wait a long time.
All in all, not a horrible place to stay if you are looking for an inexpensive hotel downtown Chicago but don't go in with high expectations or you made be disappointed.

Room Tip: The corner rooms had more sunlight.
1  Thank M_Funk07
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am not sure when you stayed, but I am happy to say that the hotel is now completing a million dollar refresh to our rooms, common areas, and lobby. We are eagerly awaiting our new lobby furniture and the project will be totally finished. All of our rooms have new beds and bedding. We have installed laminate wood flooring in many of our rooms, as well as textured walls and new wallpaper. All of the common areas have new carpet, tile, and wall treatments, as well.

I appreciate the suggestion about the mirror in the room and will certainly forward that to our corporate office for their review. I do hope that you will return to see the significant improvements and upgrades.

Heidi Cordes

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 25 March 2012

I booked this hotel for my friends bachlorette party on March 17th 2012 because of the great location, well when we got there just walking in the place looked dirty, the elevators were tiny and dirty. i had booked a supieor king suite it was dirty as well nasty stuff all over the heater/fan/air thing the floor did not seemed vacuumed the we seen pubic hairs on the bath towels. Not to mention it there was NO air conditioning on a 80 plus degree day and night our room was 95 deg the fan thing just blew the hot air around and the windows are bolted shut! They said they could not turn the air on in the building becasue it was March! Really why does it say on the site the rooms have climate controel then??!!! I would of NEVER booked knowing that! So what it was 85 deg and 95 in our room yet the lobby and hallways were nice and cool we could not figure that one out! Our coutch bed was BROKEN at 4am we called to have someone fix it they said they were extremly busy and could not send anyone up for awhile we waited 15 min and called againto tell them how busy can u really be at 4am??!! AND this is the most disgusting dirty hotel we have ever been too as wel as hot with no air and we want the bed fixed NOW! so we can TRY to sleep then w/in five min someone came up to fix it. Now we could not even sleep i was too hot five girls in a 95 deg room it was hell we got up by 730 am after not even going to sleep till after 4 we were all DREDDINg going back to the hotel and none of us could sleep in it which we would of liked to that was the point of getting a hotel!!! a huge $244.00 WASTE I would love a refund but would be shocked to get one or even hear back from the email I really dont see how that place can be open! The vending machins were broke as well would not take any dollars .. as well as they made me pay when i checked in probably not wanting me to throw a fit and leave like we should have and when we checked out they did not ask us how our stay was..wonder why!!!?? Never Ever again will Istay at ANY red roof it was my first and LAST if this is how they operate forgt it! It ruined my friends one time bachlorette night I felt bad sense I booked!

Room Tip: DO not book at this hotel!!!!
1  Thank jenelle1983

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Chicago Downtown Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies your stay was so unpleasant.

Our hotel is an historic building that was built in the 1920s. With the construction of that day, like many other downtown Chicago buildings, the building either only has heat or it has air conditioning. It takes five days to prep the cooling towers on the roof before we can switch from heat to air conditioning. I certainly understand that the record setting heat made our rooms uncomfortable. The forecast a week prior to your arrival was for two days only to reach the mid 70s. Everyone was surprised by the all time high temps, including us. To make matters worse, fans are considered seasonal items and are not normally stocked until mid April. We went to several different stores to buy as many fans as possible and could only find a dozen. I am truly sorry. The system was never broken. Knowing the heat would be as severe as it was and last as long as it has, I regret we did not call our HVAC company sooner. Thankfully, we do have air conditioning in the building now, but it took a crew of three to work for 24 hours straight last Monday. We were proactive in alerting our guests that the building had not yet switched to air conditioning. We allowed our guest to go up and inspect their rooms before checking in to ensure the temperature was tolerable. We also arranged for a limited number of rooms at a nearby hotel at a discounted rate for those who wanted to stay elsewhere. We certainly did not want you and your party to be miserable. I am very sorry.

I realize that apologies are insufficient and your stay was very unpleasant. I can assure you that in the future we will switch to air conditioning if there is ever a forecast of temperatures in the mid seventies, no matter what month it is and switch back to heat if we need to if temperatures drop to the mid forties. This truly was a once in a century occurrence.

The lack of cleanliness in your room was entirely within our control. There is no reason for your room not to be cleaned properly or to our standards. I will share your comments with the housekeeper who prepared room 1007 prior to your arrival. She will be retrained. I understand your dissatisfaction.

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I realize that we have lost your business, but I hope you will reconsider your decision and allow a different Red Roof Inn the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

A group of friends and I stayed here for St. Patrick's day weekend mostly because it was a cheaper option. Due to this, I wasn't really expecting it to be of the highest quality and I was correct. The temperature couldn't be controlled and the window couldn't be opened so at times the room was uncomfortably hot and stuffy. That being said, the staff was very friendly and tried to do what they could to help better the situation. Ultimately we didn't spend much time in the room because obviously, there are other things to do in Chicago. We could walk to almost any place we wanted to so the location wasn't ever a problem.

1  Thank Phill L
RRIChicago, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago Downtown - Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you for taking your valuable time to post your review.

At Red Roof Inn we do feel we offer a great value to the budget minded traveler. Our location is one of the best in downtown Chicago as you noted and within walking distance to the most popular attractions.

St. Patrick's Day weekend was a very challenging time with record setting temperatures. I do apologize that your room was hot and stuffy. We will certainly do things differently in the future to ensure our guests are comfortable. I am please that you found the staff to be helpful in a difficult situation. We are here to serve you and do whatever we can to ensure you have a pleasant stay while you are with us.

I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I am completely pissed about our hotel experience! First we were sent to our room and it wasn't cleaned yet. Had to wait an hour in the lobby before it was ready. And when we got in there, there was stuff all over the floor and just not as clean as i would have expected. Next, the air conditioning did not work. I know its March, but it was 84 outside and even though it looks like you have your own temp controls, you dont. Also, our toliet didn't flush! When we called down to tell them the phone was not plugged into the jack. Low and behold there was a reason why...the phone wouldnt stop ringing! So we had a 85 degree room, no phone and no toliet!!!!!!!!!
Went down on our way out to dinner to let them know, they said it would be fixed by the time we got back (the phone and toliet). They NEVER came and fixed it. One night at 179.99 plus tax wasn't worth it. We will NEVER come back here and we will NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nicole s

I do appreciate your feedback and understand your stay was not a pleasant. The Red Roof Inn is located in an historic building that was constructed in the 1920s. Our cooling system is one that only allows heat or only allows air conditioning. We cannot flip a switch from one to the other. It takes up to five days to prepare the two 25' water towers before the change can be made.

It was extremely hot in Chicago last week through the middle of this week, setting new records for nine straight days. The average high temperature in mid to late March is 50 degrees. The heat wave caught us completely off guard and I do apologize. We will certainly do things differently in the future.

I do not know why the problems with your phone and toilet were not addressed after you reported them, but I will certainly take the necessary measures to ensure we respond in a timely manner in the future. I realize that we have lost your business and I sincerely regret that we did not provide you with a positive experience.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Ruined, what would have been a really fun weekend. We booked 2 Superior king suites. It was unseasonably warm for St. Patrick's day weekend, but unfortunately, there is NO "climate control", as the Internet stated.Our room ranged from 80-85 degrees and all of the windows are sealed shut. Multiple complaints got us nowhere because the entire hotel temperature can only be " switched" seasonally. Even though they were completely booked, they would not do the " switch". Next, our room was filthy. There was debris in several corners that were not vacuumed. Upon removal of the cushions to the sofa sleeper, a bunch of crumbs, debris & cellophane wrappers were found & we chose NOT to sleep on it. A supervisor insinuated that we, might have dirtied it. Even though this hotel is inexpensive, the minimum I expect, is cleanliness!!! The ONLY thing, this hotel, can offer, is good location. We checked out a day early & went a couple miles away to a very clean Holiday Inn that has air conditioning and heat control for each individual room, as all hotel rooms should have, in this day & age.

1  Thank CindyR49441

During the week of St. Patrick's Day, the city of Chicago experienced nine days of record setting heat. It was unprecedented in the 100 years since temperatures were recorded. Our building, like most of the high rise buildings in the city, have heating and cooling systems that either have heat only or air conditioning only. It takes up to five days to drain the water towers and prep them to switch them from heat to AC or from AC back to heat. Since Chicago could very easily have temperatures below freezing in March or April and based on the forecasts, we decided not to make the change. It was a bad decision.

Had we known the heat was going to last for more than the two days it was originally forecast, we would have taken action to switch sooner. I do apologize. Our rooms were hot and I understand your dissatisfaction. We have certainly learned from this experience and I can assure you that it will not happen again.

Even though we cannot control the weather, we certainly have control over the cleanliness of our rooms. From your description it is apparent that your room was not cleaned properly or to our standards. I am very sorry that your stay was so unpleasant.